PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mark to make believe is back!

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Mark to make believe is back!

Unread postby Cynus » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 16:07:53

Change you can believe in, ha ha!

From http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... 8GMXGDnlws

March 16 (Bloomberg) -- The Financial Accounting Standards Board, pressured by lawmakers to change the fair-value rule blamed for worsening the financial crisis, proposed permitting companies to use “significant judgment” in valuing assets.

Companies would be able to apply the revised rule to their first-quarter financial statements, FASB Chairman Robert Herz said today during a meeting at the U.S. accounting rulemaker’s Norwalk, Connecticut, headquarters. The board is set to vote on the proposal April 2, after a 15-day public comment period.
One of these now am I too, a fugitive from the gods and a wanderer, at the mercy of raging Strife.
--Empedocles

http://apoxonbothyourhouses.blogspot.com
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Mark to make believe is back!

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 18:21:15

Cynus wrote:Change you can believe in, ha ha!

From http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... 8GMXGDnlws

March 16 (Bloomberg) -- The Financial Accounting Standards Board, pressured by lawmakers to change the fair-value rule blamed for worsening the financial crisis, proposed permitting companies to use “significant judgment” in valuing assets.

Companies would be able to apply the revised rule to their first-quarter financial statements, FASB Chairman Robert Herz said today during a meeting at the U.S. accounting rulemaker’s Norwalk, Connecticut, headquarters. The board is set to vote on the proposal April 2, after a 15-day public comment period.

"Significant Judgement"? WTF is that? The only kind of Judgement the Banksters have is BAD Judgement.

Basically, this makes any balance sheet, any statement of profit and loss complete fantasy. I don't care WHAT numbers the Stock Market puts up with this kind of Accounting nonsense, its absolutely MEANINGLESS. Nobody will be able to tell what ANYTHING is worth. Its going to freeze up markets even worse. Paulson & Geithner, aka Dumb and Dumber. You just can't GET stupider than the people running our financial system. Yeesh.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Prince » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 18:27:34

It's been said that the M2M rule will (or would have) prevent banks and other corporations from falling deeper in the hole during this downturn. I wonder if that same rule follows on the way up. In other words, if this M2M rule had been reinstated in 2002, these companies most likely would never have had the faux gains, profits, and success they enjoyed. But maybe now if they set their own valuation targets via "significant judgment", the house of cards can endure just a while longer (I have no f-ing clue how, but we'll see).
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby kpeavey » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 21:01:32

"significant judgement" is doublespeak for "lie your arse off, say whatever you like, make it up as you go"

in much the same way, "economic downturn" is doublespeak for "collapse of the global economy"
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 21:03:46

Once again reality is stranger than fiction!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 09:30:14

Mark to make will appear in the job market as well. As employer's no longer pay employees based on expectations of rapid growth. New employees will be paid actual value for what their skills are worth. Expect wages for any new jobs that are being created to drop signifigantly.

I'm looking for work myself, and I find people are offering jobs that pay $12.00 an hour. My dad worked in a unionized workplace in 1980 and he was paid $12.00 an hour at that time. If wages haven't risen in 29 years, certainly we can't expect wages to rise now, in the current economic crisis.

The minimum i need to break even on my household bills is $16.00 an hour. Any less than this and I'll be retrenching too, cutting off the cable tv, cutting the alarm service, eating out less, going to movies less, ect. Then all the people into those cut industries will have to retrench as well. Laying off, and then the cycle repeats with all their laid off employee's.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby highlander » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 12:44:16

Hey, if it raises confidence in the system and DOW rises, what can be wrong with that!
This is where everybody puts profound words written by another...or not so profound words written by themselves
Highlander 2007
highlander
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gnm » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 13:12:49

highlander wrote:Hey, if it raises confidence in the system and DOW rises, what can be wrong with that!

Massive inflation?

-G
gnm

Unread postby Prince » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 14:07:54

highlander wrote:Hey, if it raises confidence in the system and DOW rises, what can be wrong with that!

I hope you're being facetious; one can never tell online. These are the same selfish antics that got us into the problem we're in now. In addition to inflation, as gnm noted, we prolong the time it will take to truly stabilize the system, and in the recovery takes much longer. Also, if the market spikes up without real earnings and value, people get a false sense of security and will spend themselves into more debt. This would be manageable in cases, but the Fed has already used all of its bullets to fight this problem. Gone are the possibilities of lowering interest rates, trillion-dollar bailouts, bank bailouts, housing/credit bubble--we've already played those cards.
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby gnm » Thu 02 Apr 2009, 12:11:51

So heres why the rally... Mark to Make Believe granted! Whoohoo! Now lets get out there and buy some toxic assets! Yay!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090402/bs_nm/us_markets_stocks

-G :badgrin:
gnm

Unread postby UltraViciousBudgie » Thu 02 Apr 2009, 22:09:41

I tried using "significant judgment" and wrote myself a check for one million dollars. For some reason the bank won't cash it.
The birds shall re-inherit the earth.

"All crows under heaven are black."
UltraViciousBudgie
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 05:03:42

UltraViciousBudgie wrote:I tried using "significant judgment" and wrote myself a check for one million dollars. For some reason the bank won't cash it.

You should have signed it "Ben Bernanke". That signature works every time.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 06:14:57

How can making any piece of paper you have worth whatever you say it is worth going to "inspire any confidence" in ANYONE? That is where we are NOW!

Maybe some US citizens will sucker into such investments, but the international investors are damn sure done with that kind of trust.
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jupiters_release » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 15:32:27

ReverseEngineer wrote:You just can't GET stupider than the people running our financial system. Yeesh.

Reverse Engineer

I wish I were as stupid as they, I'm willing to sacrifice my intelligence to make trillions off the public.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AAA » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 16:02:17

jupiters_release wrote:I wish I were as stupid as they, I'm willing to sacrifice my intelligence to make trillions off the public.

You can or should I say you could. All you had to do was buy some bank stocks or a financial etf recently.

Several of my bank stocks I bought in early March have more than doubled in a month and the financial etf I bought is doing quite nice too.
How can Ludi spend 8-10 hrs/day on the internet and claim to be homesteading???
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jupiters_release » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 19:53:34

AAA wrote:
jupiters_release wrote:I wish I were as stupid as they, I'm willing to sacrifice my intelligence to make trillions off the public.

You can or should I say you could. All you had to do was buy some bank stocks or a financial etf recently.

Several of my bank stocks I bought in early March have more than doubled in a month and the financial etf I bought is doing quite nice too.

If I had insider info maybe I would, but I don't think Banksters give equal opportunity for all retards.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 20:58:59

Fiddlerdave wrote:How can making any piece of paper you have worth whatever you say it is worth going to "inspire any confidence" in ANYONE?

With the full confidence of my 3907 posts I tell you that M2M will inspire the markets to go up.

Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby UltraViciousBudgie » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 03:23:41

ReverseEngineer wrote:
UltraViciousBudgie wrote:I tried using "significant judgment" and wrote myself a check for one million dollars. For some reason the bank won't cash it.

Reverse Engineer

Or I can wait for Ben and Timmy to work their magic. Soon I'll be writing million dollar checks to pay for groceries.
The birds shall re-inherit the earth.

"All crows under heaven are black."
UltraViciousBudgie
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 04:09:26

UltraViciousBudgie wrote:
ReverseEngineer wrote:

Reverse Engineer

Or I can wait for Ben and Timmy to work their magic. Soon I'll be writing million dollar checks to pay for groceries.

If it makes it that far, which I doubt, I suggest brushing up on your Scientific Notation. You'll run out of space for Zeros on your check without it.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance