Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Finance, the only sector of any real value

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Finance, the only sector of any real value

Unread postby auscanman » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 18:50:13

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/4929712/Gordon-Brown-advisor-says-City-all-important---and-rest-of-the-country-can-be-turned-over-to-tourism.html

A report on defence spending quotes the “influential” official as telling union officials that manufacturing had “no value” but the financial sector had to be “supported at all costs”.

The alleged comments, made before the collapse of Northern Rock but only now made public, appear to shed new light on the Government’s decision to press ahead with a £1.3 trillion bail-out of the banking sector while being criticised for doing too little to support industry.

The report by the UK National Defence Association (UKNDA), an independent body, quotes the government adviser as saying: “Defence, aerospace, manufacturing and engineering have no real value to us.

“Only high-quality professional services, financial services and the City of London have any real value and they should be supported at all costs. The rest of the country can be turned over to tourism.”

So, according to this 'influential' official, finance is an end unto itself, nothing else has any real value! You have to have an utterly warped understanding of the generation of wealth to make the sort of statements this influential figure has.

I guess Gordon Brown can forget about getting any support from Labour's traditional blue-collar base implementing policies like these. He's not even attempting to hide the fact that he's in power solely to serve the interests of banksters
auscanman
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Finance, the only sector of any real value

Unread postby TreeFarmer » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 18:59:59

Please let that be a hoax!

Does anyone else have the feeling too many people in our governemnts went to college and studied poly sci or government or some other similiar course of study and have no idea how the world actually works?

TF
TreeFarmer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bencole » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 19:02:30

auscanman wrote:
The report by the UK National Defence Association (UKNDA), an independent body, quotes the government adviser as saying: “Defence, aerospace, manufacturing and engineering have no real value to us.

“Only high-quality professional services, financial services and the City of London have any real value and they should be supported at all costs. The rest of the country can be turned over to tourism.”

I really feel sorry for Britons, given the quality of government that they are forced to endure.
bencole
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JPL » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 19:22:55

I guess the good news is that Britian is going to meet it's CO2 emission reduction targets pretty quickly now.

The bad news is....Bleuggggh...

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 19:27:10

I used to work for one of the largest securities broker/dealers in the USA. There were a few good people there, but they were vastly outnumbered by the schmucks.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aldente » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 20:30:45

Definition of a Schmuck... hard to get a grip on...
[imghttp://www.offoffoff.com/dance/2007/images/dancenow07.jpg[/img]
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 20:36:48

The good (?) news is that Britain has indeed been one of the major financial centers in the globalized world economy. The bad news is that British manufacturing is largely outsourced to eastern Europe, China, India, etc.

London is the world's largest financial centre,[5] with financial services based around two districts: 'The City' (the City of London) and the Docklands (particularly around Canary Wharf). The City houses the London Stock Exchange (shares and bonds), London Metal Exchange (Base Metal and Plastic futures), Lloyds of London (insurance), and the Bank of England. The Docklands began development in the 1980s and is now home to the Financial Services Authority, as well as several important financial institutions (such as Barclays Bank, Citigroup and HSBC). There are now over 500 banks with offices in the City and Docklands, with the majority of business in London being conducted on an international basis, with established leads in areas such as Eurobonds, Foreign exchange markets, energy futures and global insurance. The Alternative Investments Market has acted a growth market over the past decade, allowing London to also expand as an international equity centre for smaller firms.
The United Kingdom had £21bn of financial exports in 2005, contributing significantly towards the Balance of Payments. The UK has had an expanding export business in financial service, which has been influenced by a mixture of unique institutions, light regulation, and a highly skilled workforce.
Edinburgh also has a long established financial industry, the fifth largest financial centre in Europe, with many large firms based there, including the Royal Bank of Scotland (the second largest bank in Europe), HBOS (owners of the Bank of Scotland) and Standard Life Insurance.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lowem » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 21:24:17

With officials like these, I hope Britain doesn't collapse *totally* before I get the chance to visit their Natural History Museum *one* *more* *time* ...
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jotapay » Mon 16 Mar 2009, 22:49:47

Speaking of the museums in London, the British Museum is one of the most amazing places you can visit on the entire planet. I went there when I was just 10 years old. Now that I have a moment to reflect on that, it is one of the most amazing collections of human works in existence that I've ever seen, and I've seen most of them.

The friezes of the Parthenon in Athens, the Rosetta Stone, the winged bulls which guarded the gates of Sargon II, are beyond monumental if you know the history of the world. The feeling of awesomeness when I walked through the gates of the winged bulls of Sargon II in 1981 at 10 years old still rings true today.

http://golondon.about.com/od/londonmuse ... Bull-2.htm

Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Europe Discussion