Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Unemployment Benefits Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

THE Unemployment Benefits Thread (merged)

Unread postby flapjax » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 16:16:50

Drug test before you get your unemployment bennies
This Idea is being kicked around here in Florida as of late. Lawmakers are thinking about enforcing random drug testing before you can receive unemployment checks. While I think many drugs should be tested for before our tax money is dished out to a junky, your definition of a junky may be different than mine. And what about food stamps/welfare? Why the rush for testing all of the sudden? To me, this is just another excuse to save state funds. link

Fox news has been gathering support for this idea; spamming the radio and television sets: link
Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 17 Apr 2009, 22:05:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge thread.
flapjax
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Drug test before you get your unemployment bennies

Unread postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 17:07:13

Florida is so ****ed up. I grew up there and lived there for 30 years.

The article says the cost of the drug test would "come out of individual benefits." So now you want to make unemployed folks pay for their own stupid drug tests? What happened to LESS government? Do they test others who receive state money? (welfare?)

This is just idiotic. It's like saying that you don't care if the government taps your phone lines because you "have nothing to hide."

I agree with the ACLU.
IgnoranceIsBliss
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby alokin » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 19:04:48

This is so mean. First you government floods the country with drugs via CIA. The they destroy the economy. Then they take benefits away from those who are stupid enough to take drugs.
It would make pretty much sense to bring a bit of light in the CIA drug stories, and then safe money by sacking all those who are involved in drug trafficking. The same for the banks - want bail out? let's first see what about laundering drug money. I guess many banks wouldn't like the bail out money any more.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 19:58:54

I would rather require drug tests be given daily to the loonie toons who dream this nonsense up.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 20:57:32

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:Do they test others who receive state money? (welfare?)

You mean like the executives of AIG, Citigroup, the auto makers, Monsanto and Rayethon?

No, the tests are only for their victims.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 21:07:42

From the example set in Australia's mining industry this will get pot heads, while meths users will get off Scot free if they can stop for 1 day.
3 months for pot.
Would you rather be in a car driven by a regular pot smoker or a meths head? These laws are stupid. 8)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 21:49:54

Please, this insanity must stop.

SUPPOSEDLY, the reason for employment-based drug testing is to protect employers from unreliable, drug-addled employees. (the irony here is that the workplace is chock full of people whacked out on legal, prescribed drugs)

So, I can understand why employers like to drug test. It weeds out (so to speak) those people who are SO messed up that they can't even get clean long enough for the initial employment screen.

But once someone has already been gainfully employed, and is then laid off -- just WHO does the government think they are to deny just and due *unemployment* benefits. This isn't welfare here, this is an insurance program for people who work.

It's like saying "yes, I know you've worked hard and showed up for work for the last ten years, yes I know you were laid off, but screw you cuz you smoke pot." The hypocrisy here is beyond tolerable. For Pet's sake, a *majority* of all government officials, US military, police and firefighters have used illegal drugs before. So many police department applicants have smoked pot that they had to remove that as a disqualifier years ago.

Lastly, this idea is incredibly boneheaded. Just think about it. A drug addict who's gainfully employed suddenly gets laid off, and then DENIED unemployment. So now you've got an with no legal recourse for income. Doesn't that just invite more crime? What would you rather have folks, some unemployment bennies for laid off working poor or a home invasion?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 17 Mar 2009, 21:55:04

Ugh, the site isn't letting me edit again.

One final point I missed. There is ONE reason and one reason only Florida wants to do this. It's all about money. A majority of the laid off folks in this state are in construction. And this field of work has a disproportionate percentage of pot-smokers and such than other fields.

So what a great way to save some money, eh?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 04:23:30

We are observing some frantic saving attempts.

It is deemed socially unacceptable to support junkies (means criminals, who are supplying them drugs really) with taxpayer money.
Banksters-junkies might be an exception here though.

In such situation it is nothing strange that short of cash Florida authorities are expanding drug testing programs to get rid of large numbers of benefit recipients.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 05:25:43

The issue would be, it will probably cost MORE to test people for drug use then it would to just hand out the unemployment compensation. However, you would provide ore jobs for people who test unemployed people for drug use, so maybe this increases total employment?

Its obviously just an excuse to get out of paying unemplyment insurance to people. If you paid into the system, if you are unemployed for a reason OTHER than doing soething illegal (your company went bankrupt), you are owed this money REGARDLESS of what your lifestyle is. Anyhow, once you re unemployed, what else is there to do but take anti-depressants? The key here is to make sure the drugs you take are "legal" drugs. Drink lots of alcohol after you get fired, that is OK. Go to the doc and have some Valium prescribed, you are OK. Just avoid the cannabis and the coke.

Its a joke. They can't meet the unemployment obligations. ANY excuse not to pay is a good excuse.AIG pays out Billions in CDS Insurance though to banksters, and we fund it with tax dollars. Its getting old and obvious fast. None of it is going to last here.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 10:29:53

ReverseEngineer wrote:The issue would be, it will probably cost MORE to test people for drug use then it would to just hand out the unemployment compensation.

According to the article, the person being tested would be paying for the test, so what difference does it make how much the tests cost? It's not like anyone important has to pay...

The bill calls for random testing of one of every 10 people who apply for unemployment. The drug tests cost about $30. The person applying for benefits would have to foot the bill.

SURPRISE! You've lost your house, you've lost your job, you've lost everything that made you who you are, and now you are one of the lucky 10% who gets to pay for their own mandatory random drug testing!
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 10:33:46

Xanax is ok, but no weed....... :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 11:17:04

EnergyUnlimited wrote:In such situation it is nothing strange that short of cash Florida authorities are expanding drug testing programs to get rid of large numbers of benefit recipients.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! I suspect there's going to be a lot of creative fund-raising projects as states lose their tax income.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby MarkJ » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 11:34:24

"Let's make sure it's going to people who truly are ready, able, and willing to work"

People that use drugs are often ready, able or willing to work, but they're often unemployable since so many employers perform pre-employment, random or scheduled drug screenings and background checks.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 11:57:15

MarkJ wrote:
"Let's make sure it's going to people who truly are ready, able, and willing to work"

People that use drugs are often ready, able or willing to work, but they're often unemployable since so many employers perform pre-employment, random or scheduled drug screenings and background checks.

My &^%# for w**d is head of a securities and brokerage firm.

I also know this really bad drunk that has a excellent tax business.
vision-master

Unread postby flapjax » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 12:03:56

Ferretlover wrote:I suspect there's going to be a lot of creative fund-raising projects as states lose their tax income.

Indeed.

The money war on the people has elevated to the extreme. Every day on my way to work I see more and more folks pulled over because the police force has increased its need to pick your pocket while you are on your way to make money, pay taxes, and provide for police salaries. As a victim of this behavior, in the last few months I've gotten two traffic tickets. Before that I had not received a citation in 15 years. If the police force needs more cash, there has got to be better ways to accomplish it other than writing more tickets. Our government is beyond corruption at every level.
flapjax
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MarkJ » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 12:29:24

vision-master wrote:My &^%# for w**d is head of a securities and brokerage firm.I also know this really bad drunk that has a excellent tax business.

I was talking to a group of guys on extended unemployment that can't find a decent paying job because they either have a criminal record, they're casual drug users, or they have a poor driving record.
Self employment or cash work is often the only option. Plenty of contractors and tradespeople use drugs and/or they have criminal records, they've been to prison etc.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 13:40:37

MarkJ wrote:I was talking to a group of guys on extended unemployment that can't find a decent paying job because they either have a criminal record, they're casual drug users, or they have a poor driving record.
Self employment or cash work is often the only option. Plenty of contractors and tradespeople use drugs and/or they have criminal records, they've been to prison etc.

Like those loads we see on 'Cops". :-D
vision-master

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 14:39:12

Dreamtwister wrote:According to the article, the person being tested would be paying for the test, so what difference does it make how much the tests cost?

And what pray tell is this person supposed to pay for the drug test WITH? The Unemployment he's not getting?
Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Wed 18 Mar 2009, 15:21:39

ReverseEngineer wrote:And what pray tell is this person supposed to pay for the drug test WITH? The Unemployment he's not getting?

I think you need to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector. :lol:
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion