Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Australian Renewable Energy Economy Cheaper Than Stimulus

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Aussie stimulus package

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 14 Oct 2008, 15:27:16

Since the stimulus package was an outstanding sucess in the USA, and an example how the current crisis ought to be dealt with, Australia readies to try it out.
Govt to announce stimulus package
October 14, 2008 - 6:04AM
Federal cabinet is meeting to sign off on a massive financial stimulus package reportedly worth billions of dollars.

A spokeswoman for Prime Minister Kevin Rudd confirmed the meeting to AAP.

A spokeswoman for Mr Rudd said an announcement of the plan would not be made before midday (AEDT).
Treasurer Wayne Swan was to arrive home on Tuesday morning from a trip to the US where he met with world financial leaders about the global financial crisis.

The stimulus plan comes after an earlier government announcement that the commonwealth would guarantee all bank deposits to help ease increasing nervousness in the wider economy.

Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull has offered broad support for the government's plan.

"What we hear is that at long last they're going to provide some additional resources to pensioners," Mr Turnbull told ABC Radio.
The government could provide money to pensioners as well as for building projects.

"You can have the money for pensioners that goes immediately into the economy, but you must also make sure that you don't waste the money, that you start looking at projects the nation needs over the long-term."

Labor MPs are expecting the federal government to provide across-the-board relief for households in the economic stimulus spending package.

Government backbencher David Bradbury says the stimulus package will boost household budgets.

"(It should be aimed at) no individual or no particular group, but it is imperative that we boost our household budgets," he told reporters.

"We are not ruling anything out."

People right across the spectrum would be looking to the government for assistance through the economic crisis, the western Sydney MP said.

"This is a government prepared to take decisive action."

Labor MP Jason Clare hinted at an across-the-board measures to help households.

"We need to make the right decisions, not just for pensioners but for all Australians, to make sure that we get through these difficult financial times," he told reporters.

The government needed to put more money in people's pockets, he said.

linky
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Aussie stimulus package

Unread postby gandolf » Tue 14 Oct 2008, 17:49:53

I guess thats one of the advantages of operating a large budget surplus, you get to spend it when times get tough.

I guess that 20billion dosnt sound much with all the numbers being thrown about over the last few months but I would much prefer a measly 20 billion surplus that say a trillion deficit.....
There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.
gandolf
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dunny » Tue 14 Oct 2008, 20:51:35

I have 4 kids so we get $4000.

I said to my wife, "we'll buy ammo with it".

Merry Christmas and,

Thanks Krudd. 8)
dunny
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gandolf » Tue 14 Oct 2008, 21:23:40

dunny wrote:I have 4 kids so we get $4000.

Merry Christmas and,

Thanks Krudd. 8)

I dont get anything... Unfortunatly my redundancy dosent kick in untill mid Dec so all the goodies will be handed out before I start to starve to death...
gandolf
Peat
Peat

Unread postby katkinkate » Wed 15 Oct 2008, 01:40:15

I don't think I get anything either, except a slightly lower stress level about the safety of my credit union accounts.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gandolf » Wed 15 Oct 2008, 01:59:06

katkinkate wrote:I don't think I get anything either, except a slightly lower stress level about the safety of my credit union accounts.

LOL I work in a credit union and we are merging with an Adelaide CU. Hence the redundancy
gandolf
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gandolf » Wed 15 Oct 2008, 02:00:42

katkinkate wrote:I don't think I get anything either, except a slightly lower stress level about the safety of my credit union accounts.

I forgot to mention... As per my signature quote... I am happy to see that your cat is wearing its fire proof hat... LOL
gandolf
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vilemerchant » Wed 15 Oct 2008, 12:47:26

HAH nothing for us despite being a very low-income couple. Not only am I getting nothing while every kid-hatcher gets payouts, I'll also have to suffer the inflationary effects of this stimulus in the economy as all these idiots burn it up on booze, pokies and plasma TVs. Cheers!
vilemerchant
Peat
Peat

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 15 Oct 2008, 13:38:42

dunny wrote:I have 4 kids so we get $4000.

Merry Christmas and,

Thanks Krudd. 8)

I would suggest 7.62 Nato, it doesn´t matter if there´s body armour in your target or not, and is good general purpose hunting caliber too!!! :razz: .
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Australian Renewable Energy Economy Cheaper Than Stimulus

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 22 Mar 2009, 20:07:10

Australian Renewable Energy Economy Cheaper Than Stimulus Spend

According to a report commissions by WWF Australia, the nation could be transformed to run on clean energy such as wind and solar at just over half the cost the Federal Government has spent on the stimulus package in the past six months.

The report states the total investment needed over the next 40 years to roll out enough low-carbon energy generation to power Australia would be approximately AUD$28.3billion.

The report also compares the investment costs of harnessing Australia's wind energy, bio-energy, geothermal, solar power and ocean power with the controversial process of carbon capture and storage (CCS).

For an economy powered by renewable energy, the cost will start at about $100 million per year in 2010, increasing to $1.6 billion per year in 2019 then gradually tapering zero by 2050, as economies of scale take hold. Renewable energy technologies start small and expensive, but over time they become large and cheap. However, the continuing capture and storage of carbon is likely to cost about $200 million per year in 2050.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/index.php?main_page=news_article&article_id=366
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Australian Renewable Energy Economy Cheaper Than Stimulus

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 10:37:52

I've been ranting about this for months to anyone who would listen - which is not many.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby turner » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 09:29:35

At least we'd be getting something good for the money. It seems to cheap though?
turner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby kiwichick » Sun 29 Mar 2009, 06:07:47

too late

TSHTF day is less than 3 years away , 2012 at the latest

current idiots either don't know (which i don't believe is possible) or they have plans in place and are just waiting to see how it will play out and then will play dumb

is there another option??
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby turner » Sun 29 Mar 2009, 12:07:48

kiwichick wrote:too late

TSHTF day is less than 3 years away , 2012 at the latest

current idiots either don't know (which i don't believe is possible) or they have plans in place and are just waiting to see how it will play out and then will play dumb

is there another option??

Do you mean the economy or oil?
turner
Peat
Peat

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion