Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How is your gvt trying to screw you?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

How is your gvt trying to screw you?

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 10:58:53

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/news/news-b ... -speeding/

Here is an example of the govt raising revenue against it's own citizens with flimsy proof of mandate and reason.

What is your govt trying to do now times are hard to get an extra buck from you?

Are politicians aliens sent here to rape us poor workers or what? I don't speed habitually, but sometimes I might be in a hurry. And anyway - is it safer to watch the road or the verge for cameras?
Smacks of the stuff that leaves a cows behind.

Comments?
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Re: How is your gvt trying to screw you?

Unread postby AAA » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 11:40:29

I think cameras on the road are a great idea.

My wife got a ticket in the mail from Arizona that was taken by a camera. It will definitely slow us down next time we are driving through AZ.

I think speeding tickets should be a minimum $2,000 fine.

It would slow cars down which allows them to be more fuel efficient. It would also help prevent some of the gnarly wrecks we see driving on the interstates.
How can Ludi spend 8-10 hrs/day on the internet and claim to be homesteading???
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 11:42:17

Wow. Talk about monitoring your every move. This world is out of control.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MarkJ » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 12:05:16

Now that most vehicle data is computerized, some license plate readers in police cars can tell if a vehicle is unregistered, uninspected, uninsured, stolen, has expired/switched plates or if the registrant has outstanding tickets or warrants.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AAA » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 12:16:28

MarkJ wrote:Now that most vehicle data is computerized, some license plate readers in police cars can tell if a vehicle is unregistered, uninspected, uninsured, stolen, has expired/switched plates or if the registrant has outstanding tickets or warrants.

All this makes me feel safer. I actually like the thought of a govt big brother.

I have nothing to hide so I don't worry about it.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Aaron » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 12:17:01

Out of the 18 intersections we tracked, 10 had fewer accidents, seven had more wrecks, and one intersection's accident numbers stayed the same.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/14618294/detail.html
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby The_Virginian » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 13:00:10

AAA wrote:
MarkJ wrote:Now that most vehicle data is computerized, some license plate readers in police cars can tell if a vehicle is unregistered, uninspected, uninsured, stolen, has expired/switched plates or if the registrant has outstanding tickets or warrants.

All this makes me feel safer. I actually like the thought of a govt big brother.

Horse Malarky.

You break at least one law a year, you just either rationalize it or are ignorant of the laws...and remember ignorance in "no defense".
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby starsky » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 13:02:26

AAA wrote:

I seriously can't tell if this is sarcasm or real. But in any case, nobody gives a rats ass about how you feel. The real question is, does it really make you any safer? Probably not, security is largely an illusion. It's just a huge waste of tax payer money, man-hours and a raping of civil liberties.

If you have nothing to hide and you're abiding by the law, why should the government be babysitting you? Why should the tax payer, YOU, pay the government to continuously monitor somebody who is abiding by the law, like most people are most of the time? It's like paying somebody to watch a rock. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
starsky
Wood
Wood

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 13:08:17

starsky wrote:security is largely an illusion. It's just a huge waste of tax payer money, man-hours and a raping of civil liberties.

I take it you see to your security with a stash of guns in your basement and a pistol in your breast pocket?
mos6507

Unread postby starsky » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 13:22:22

mos6507 wrote:
starsky wrote:security is largely an illusion. It's just a huge waste of tax payer money, man-hours and a raping of civil liberties.

I take it you see to your security with a stash of guns in your basement and a pistol in your breast pocket?

I don't even own a gun, hun. I'm saying that the government continuously watching you as if you were an incompetent retard, incapable of taking care of yourself, won't really make life any safer for you. I'm always careful and alert, but I trust most people are competent enough, most of the time.

Why not use those billions of dollars to encourage personal responsibility and rational thought instead? A much wiser investment if you ask me.
starsky
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 13:28:19

AAA wrote:I have nothing to hide so I don't worry about it.

The United States criminal code contains something like 5 million words, many of them extremely subjective and broadly defined. The states have their own codes as well.

Are you 100% certain you're not in violation of something?
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AAA » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 13:36:37

starsky wrote:
AAA wrote:

I seriously can't tell if this is sarcasm or real.

Are you guys kidding me. I was totally being sarcastic. Maybe I should work on my sarcasm because I thought what I said was so ridiculous that everyone would see the sarcasm. Surely you don't think I would want a govt big brother.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 13:46:08

AAA wrote:Maybe I should work on my sarcasm

It's not that your sarcasm is weak, it's that there are posters here who would say something like that and actually mean it.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 15:35:43

AAA wrote:
starsky wrote:
AAA wrote:

Are you guys kidding me. I was totally being sarcastic. Maybe I should work on my sarcasm because I thought what I said was so ridiculous that everyone would see the sarcasm. Surely you don't think I would want a govt big brother.

You've already typed a multitude of ridiculous things, how are we to know which is sarcasm?

Let's review:

27 y.o. who thinks 3.5 million dollars net worth is "normal"
still investing in the rotted corpse formerly known as the stock market
$2,000 speeding tickets sound fine to you and make you feel safer
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 17:10:25

Crazy_Dad wrote:What is your govt trying to do now times are hard to get an extra buck from you?

Looks to me like the guvmint is trying to give me some money back. :)

"For 2009 and 2010, the Making Work Pay provision of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will provide a refundable tax credit of up to $400 for working individuals and $800 for married taxpayers filing joint returns."

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... ?portlet=7

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=p ... credits#s1
Ludi

Unread postby AAA » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 17:11:34

basil_hayden wrote:
You've already typed a multitude of ridiculous things, how are we to know which is sarcasm?

Let's review:

27 y.o. who thinks 3.5 million dollars net worth is "normal"
still investing in the rotted corpse formerly known as the stock market
$2,000 speeding tickets sound fine to you and make you feel safer

You are misquoting me like crazy. Try sticking to the facts.

Im 26 and I never said $3.5 million is normal.

I was being sarcastic about the $2,000 tickets.

But you were kinda right when you mentioned I invest. As a matter of fact I sold some BGC stock today that doubled in less than 4 months. And yesterday I sold some S&P 500 mutual fund shares that gained 20% in 2 weeks.

So the stock market isn't rotting. Its just beginning to go through some growing pains.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 17:20:26

AAA wrote:

Im 26 and I never said $3.5 million is normal.

Nah, you said earning $250,000 is "lower middle class." :lol:
Ludi

Unread postby AAA » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 17:26:32

Ludi wrote:Nah, you said earning $250,000 is "lower middle class." :lol:

It is where I live. Anyone from Southern California can attest to that.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby joewp » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 22:06:19

Ludi wrote:
Crazy_Dad wrote:What is your govt trying to do now times are hard to get an extra buck from you?

Looks to me like the guvmint is trying to give me some money back. :)

"For 2009 and 2010, the Making Work Pay provision of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will provide a refundable tax credit of up to $400 for working individuals and $800 for married taxpayers filing joint returns."

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... ?portlet=7

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=p ... credits#s1

Except with all the money printing the Fed is doing, they're stealing far more than that from you through the "inflation tax". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4yBrxmE ... r_embedded

(That's Helicopter Ben agreeing with Ron Paul that inflation (an increase in the money supply) is a tax, and that's what the Fed does).
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby starsky » Tue 24 Mar 2009, 23:47:58

AAA wrote:
starsky wrote:
AAA wrote:

Phew! You scared me :D

Some people actually do feel that way, I know a few. Yeah it's crazy but true.
starsky
Wood
Wood

Next

Return to Economics & Finance