Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Economic End Around

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Economic End Around

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 16:46:25

I'm getting just a little ticked off at the End Around being pulled here in the "Private-Public Partnership" to buy The Toxic Cebt off the balance sheets of the banks and flip the risks taken by the banksters onto the backs of the taxpayers. Not that I believe the taxpayers will ever be paying this back mind you, just it irks me that the Pigmen who SHOULD be failing as we speak are not failing because they are being gifted with enough toilet paper to cover their losses.

Why do I call this an "End Around"? Its because this process is being done outside of the appropriations of funds Congress is tasked with doing. Congress is under populist pressure now NOT to push through any new big Bailouts, what with all the clear corruption shown so far. So instead, you have the Fed, which is a PRIVATE company fundamentally making "Loans" to these Hedge Funds with tons of Guarantees that tell them they have no risk so they will "buy" the Sludge with the loan money. But of course the loan money is then being guaranteed by the US Goobermint. Upwards of 86% of the money "loaned" is guaranteed by Geithner to be paid off by the taxpayer if the "assets" the Hedge funds buy turn out not to be assets but liabilities. Talk aout making Loans to Sub-Prime borrowers! Geithner is GUARANTEEING that if these money losing deadbeats borrow some money, hey you don't have to pay most of it back no matter WHAT happens! Its a Back Door Bailout that Congress has little say over, Treasury is doing all the dickering here on this contract with the Private borrowers in the name of the Taxpayer.

As a Taxpayer, I sure don't want to loan any more money to these deadbeats, do you? Just because you voted for Obama, this means you give his Treasury Secretary the right to loan your money to Pigmen? WTF? The checks and balances of the budgeting system are being run around here, Congress is being taken out of the loop so to speak.

This is outright Fascism. All done in the name of maintaining our "Financial System" we depend on so much. Yes we do, but good grief its time to STOP depending on this financial system because its just turning EVERYONE except a few folks in control into PAUPERS.

We can't stop this crap from happening through the "Democratic process" because the Republicans we might elect next time to get rid of the corrupt Democrats are more corrupt. We have to get rid of the entire system here, its a MESS. No equity, no justice, it no longer is a Government of the People, by the People and for the People. Its a freaking Kleptocracy. You CAN'T stop this at the Voting booth. You can only stop it in the Steets now, and its going to get ugly soon.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Economic End Around

Unread postby mrbig » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 17:10:47

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.”

John F Kennedy
mrbig
Wood
Wood

Unread postby endtimes » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 17:18:07

i doubt it will get ugly,American,s seem to just take and take.the old saying united we stand and divided we fall plays an important part here.right now people are not united and until that happens nothing will happen.
endtimes
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 17:40:12

ReverseEngineer wrote: You can only stop it in the Steets now, and its going to get ugly soon.

You could stop paying taxes, by reducing your need to earn to the barest essential.

Or you can wait around until "Somebody" takes it to the streets, I guess.
Ludi

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 17:47:37

I'm getting just a little ticked off at the End Around being pulled here in the "Private-Public Partnership" to buy The Toxic Cebt off the balance sheets of the banks and flip the risks taken by the banksters onto the backs of the taxpayers. Not that I believe the taxpayers will ever be paying this back mind you, just it irks me that the Pigmen who SHOULD be failing as we speak are not failing because they are being gifted with enough toilet paper to cover their losses.

They OWN us. :x
vision-master

Unread postby AAA » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 17:49:44

Ludi wrote:You could stop paying taxes, by reducing your need to earn to the barest essential.

Another thing that is a little easier for people to swallow is contributing the max amount to your pre-tax retirement accounts such as a 401k or IRA. Then you have less to be taxed on.

Then invest in muni bonds (if you live in a fairly stable region/state) and Treasuries. It allows you to generate income without paying taxes on the income.
How can Ludi spend 8-10 hrs/day on the internet and claim to be homesteading???
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gnm » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 18:00:33

AAA wrote:Another thing that is a little easier for people to swallow is contributing the max amount to your pre-tax retirement accounts such as a 401k or IRA. Then you have less to be taxed on.

Then invest in muni bonds (if you live in a fairly stable region/state) and Treasuries. It allows you to generate income without paying taxes on the income.

How can that be income now? You can't collect from that without major penalties until age 59 1/2 right? And you'll just be taxed on that income then for your pre-tax contributions...

-G
gnm

Unread postby AAA » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 18:09:55

gnm wrote:
AAA wrote:Another thing that is a little easier for people to swallow is contributing the max amount to your pre-tax retirement accounts such as a 401k or IRA. Then you have less to be taxed on.

How can that be income now? You can't collect from that without major penalties until age 59 1/2 right? And you'll just be taxed on that income then for your pre-tax contributions...

-G

Yes you will pay penalties on the retirement accounts if you withdraw early.

What I was trying to say is invest in retirement accounts to reduce your taxable income.

Then other investments that are outside retirement accounts you can invest in munis or treasuries and have current income while avoiding taxes. I suggest building a tax-free bond ladder.

Sorry if that didn't make sense before. Hopefully this does.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gnm » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 18:15:29

AAA wrote:Yes you will pay penalties on the retirement accounts if you withdraw early.

What I was trying to say is invest in retirement accounts to reduce your taxable income.

Then other investments that are outside retirement accounts you can invest in munis or treasuries and have current income while avoiding taxes. I suggest building a tax-free bond ladder.

Oh, _other_ investments in munis and treasuries. OK... I'm not well schooled in the subject but how can those provide non-taxable income?

-G
gnm

Unread postby AAA » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 18:27:22

gnm wrote:Oh, _other_ investments in munis and treasuries. OK... I'm not well schooled in the subject but how can those provide non-taxable income?

-G

When you buy a municipal bond they have to pay you interest.

Say you buy a $100,000 municipal bond that pays you 6.25% interest that is for the Albuquerque school district to help build a new gym at Sandia High.

Your monthly interest income will be around $520 and you do not pay state or federal tax on that amount. The bond pays you that until maturity date and then gives you back your principal. Then you can reinvest the principle into another muni.

Here is a website showing the latest trades for New Mexico munis.

So a rich person who has say $5 million in muni bonds yielding 6.25% will be receiving $312,500 per year and not paying a single dollar in taxes.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AAA » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 18:32:58

AAA wrote:
gnm wrote:Oh, _other_ investments in munis and treasuries. OK... I'm not well schooled in the subject but how can those provide non-taxable income?

-G

When you buy a municipal bond they have to pay you interest.

Say you buy a $100,000 municipal bond that pays you 6.25% interest that is for the Albuquerque school district to help build a new gym at Sandia High.

Your monthly interest income will be around $520 and you do not pay state or federal tax on that amount. The bond pays you that until maturity date and then gives you back your principal. Then you can reinvest the principle into another muni.

Here is a website showing the latest trades for New Mexico munis.

So a rich person who has say $5 million in muni bonds yielding 6.25% will be receiving $312,500 per year and not paying a single dollar in taxes.

You do have to live in the state in which you buy the muni. If you buy out-of-state munis then you will pay tax on the interest income.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 18:34:50

Whatever the G20 decide, I believe the crash will happen. At my current state of preps, as it's going to all fold anyway, I hope they can keep it going as long as possible.

I know we might fall over a higher cliff than Europe or wherever, but every cliff all over the world is high enough that the damage will destroy economies everywhere. The crash will be so big that suffering will be more linked to environmental conditions and resource availability than to funny money!

Not being cornucopian here, but I'm late to the game and need more time and hope that time can be bought. Ordinary people in the Eurozone are currently IMO suffering more than in the UK, because we are simply buying time. I need that time.

Many here who criticise the 'bailouts' and 'quantitative easing' are quite right in their analysis that it will cause even more economic problems. My only comment is that in a funny way your negativity reflects a certain hope that we can actually move on and is paradoxically cornucopian.

The system is FUBAR there will be massive suffering whatever happens, I could just do with a bit more time.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby gnm » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 18:34:58

Thanks for clarifying AAA. Sorry to hijack the thread RE...

:oops: OK, I'll go away now...
gnm

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 25 Mar 2009, 19:08:53

AAA wrote:
gnm wrote:

-G

Yes you will pay penalties on the retirement accounts if you withdraw early.

Unless you become disabled.
vision-master

Unread postby Schneider » Fri 27 Mar 2009, 11:20:08

AAA wrote:
Ludi wrote:You could stop paying taxes, by reducing your need to earn to the barest essential.

Another thing that is a little easier for people to swallow is contributing the max amount to your pre-tax retirement accounts such as a 401k or IRA. Then you have less to be taxed on.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but do you actually believe they won't nationalize the 401k or IRA when they run out of options !? It's what happened in Argentina when the government was almost broke..

I don't remember exactly where i have ready this, but didn't we had a news saying the democrats were talking to nationalize the 401k a couple of months ago ?
(Schneider's Books For The Future)
(Schneider's Big 5 Basic Advice For The Newcomers)
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=vL7Jo_1Z3Y8]Free Hugs!!![/
Schneider
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance