Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Big Blue Swallows Sun Microsystems

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Big Blue Swallows Sun Microsystems

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 18:11:41

Big Blue is about to swallow up Sun Microsystems, in more Monopoly Making Mergers. This one is estimated to cost around 10,000 jobs, mostly on the SM side of the merger. There's a few more IT folks gonna be out looking for work here pretty soon.

IBM-Sun Merger

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Big Blue Swallows Sun Microsystems

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 18:18:35

I'm probably more employable as a 'boiler operator' than all those high priced IT ppl. After all, they CAN'T outsource me! I'm keeping my license in case I gotta get a J.

5 bloody years experience to get my Chief's License! of course that was decades ago...... :oops:
vision-master

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 18:47:02

vision-master wrote:I'm probably more employable as a 'boiler operator' than all those high priced IT ppl. After all, they CAN'T outsource me! I'm keeping my license in case I gotta get a J.

5 bloody years experience to get my Chief's License! of course that was decades ago...... :oops:

Reminds me of an article recently in Yahoo Bizness about "Recession Proof Careers". You know what was at the top of their list? ACCOUNTANTS! ROFLMAOPIMP. When the entire Financial Services industry is laying off Accountants by the truckload, this is "recession proof"?? WTF.

IT people are in the same boat. All these sectors are shrinking in size, and the number of jobs left is a fraction of the total number of trained people in the profession, not to mention all those College Grads we bring into the market next year looking for jobs. "My college adviser told me Accounting was a secure profession". Yah, OK.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 19:33:11

I will tell you what is recession proof. PIMP!!!

I am getting my ladies back and starting back up my topless house cleaning service.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 19:42:15

The gunman — believed to be a Vietnamese immigrant himself — had recently been let go from IBM, said Rep. Maurice Hinchey, whose congressional district includes Binghamton.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iTkwh0jekRrls-b8ugkObNpK6XsQD97B9E302

Coincidence?

I think not...
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby gandolf » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 20:37:41

jasonraymondson wrote:I will tell you what is recession proof. PIMP!!!

I am getting my ladies back and starting back up my topless house cleaning service.

Thats just silly

What is the point of cleaning topless houses... I meam as soon as you clean it the rain would just mess things up again!!!!
There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.
gandolf
Peat
Peat

Unread postby frankthetank » Fri 03 Apr 2009, 20:44:25

Jason-

When this shit storm is done, the only jobs will be hand job artists and schlong massage techs ...

Its going to be the elite ultra rich and the rest of us will be bottom feeder trash.... Best bet is to learn all the skills that are REQUIRED for survival and make do with less.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 00:41:15

Also Silicon Graphics taken over.

Years ago our UNIX nerd club got sponsorship cash from Sun, IBM, Compaq, HP, SG, Digital.

That was too many flavours.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Economics & Finance