Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Americans are buying gas guzzlers again.

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Americans are buying gas guzzlers again.

Unread postby misterno » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 13:11:59

misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Americans are buying gas guzzlers again.

Unread postby Ayoob » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 14:33:03

I bought a 17mpg Ford Explorer for $3,000

My coworker bought a Smart Car to save on commuting

Her car was $15000

I can buy 4,444 gallons of gas for the diffrerence that will fuel my SUV for a 65,000 mile trip before she moves her smart car one foot off the lot.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 14:42:19

Ayoob wrote:My coworker bought a Smart Car to save on commuting

Her car was $15000

I can buy 4,444 gallons of gas for the diffrerence that will fuel my SUV for a 65,000 mile trip before she moves her smart car one foot off the lot.

I can understand why you paid $3,000 for yours, but ask her why she paid $15,000 for a car that MRSP's for $12,600.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Smart-Fortwo- ... 2FOD%3AI_3
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby misterno » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 16:45:46

When the gas goes up to $4/gal that $3K worth of SUV will worth -50 dollars

That is negative 50 dollars. This is what is gonna cost you to dump it.

Whereas the other guy with the smartcar, he can sell his car for the same price that he bought with 100K miles on it. There will be people lining up to buy that car.
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby heroineworshipper » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 17:46:03

& YOU'll be paying for them when their car loans default.
People first, then things, then dollars.
There will be enslavement, cannibalism, & zombie invasions.
heroineworshipper
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shortonsense » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 19:19:52

Ayoob wrote:I bought a 17mpg Ford Explorer for $3,000

My coworker bought a Smart Car to save on commuting

Her car was $15000

Smart man. If all American citizens would make strong economically based decisions like this, I would venture that peak oil is already cured and all it took was some forethought on basic economic behavior. Keep up the good work.

I'm considering acquiring a new Prius on the grounds that now, they are available and less expensive then during when prices are high, because as soon as $4/gas circles back around, they will be in demand again and I will already have mine.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby shortonsense » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 19:25:23

misterno wrote:When the gas goes up to $4/gal that $3K worth of SUV will worth -50 dollars

Whereas the other guy with the smartcar, he can sell his car for the same price that he bought with 100K miles on it. There will be people lining up to buy that car.

True, but then Ayoob will wait until another peak oil causes another price crash, and he'll be able to unload his Explorer then for $3000, and the Smart Cars will be stacking up in dealers lots just like Priuses are now.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby shortonsense » Sat 04 Apr 2009, 19:35:47

pstarr wrote:
shortonsense wrote:I'm considering acquiring a new Prius
gay commie.

Me buying...the wife....a Prius...will make ME gay? See, heres the problem, I brought home the sporty AWD turbo SUV for myself back during the height of post peak price crashing in January, and she took it. I am just trying to find something to drop in front of her to distract her so I can swipe the keys to my turbo SUV back.

I better tell her that buying a Prius will make her gay, but as a diehard Republican I think she will take more offense at being labeled a commie for wanting one.

I tried dropping a nice used MazdaSpeed6 in front of her, or a Honda Civic Si, but got nixed. So maybe she isn't COMPLETELY gay or Commie?
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ayoob » Sun 05 Apr 2009, 00:49:57

shortonsense wrote:
misterno wrote:When the gas goes up to $4/gal that $3K worth of SUV will worth -50 dollars

True, but then Ayoob will wait until another peak oil causes another price crash, and he'll be able to unload his Explorer then for $3000, and the Smart Cars will be stacking up in dealers lots just like Priuses are now.

It'll go back and forth. For a while, gas will be expensive. That will crash another piece of the economy, putting people out of work. They stop buying expensive gas, demand dies down, prices drop, and I un-mothball the SUV. In the meantime, I ride a motorcycle that gets about 40-50MPG depending on my driving habits.

The SUV will be great for trips to Costco or whatever. I can't tow a trailer with a smart car, but I can with the SUV. I wouldn't have bought it if I had to pay $15K for it, I'd rather rent one now and again to tow stuff. I doubt I would rent a truck for a trip to Costco. You can't get a pallet of TP in a smart car, so you have to drive back to the store three times a week for the four-pack you can fit in the "trunk" of the smart car.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bikerguy » Mon 06 Apr 2009, 17:33:03

My 4x4 99 silverado is for the winter, my motorcycle for the summer. Unfortunatly, I have to have a 4x4 up here in northern Michigan.
bikerguy
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 06 Apr 2009, 17:42:59

bikerguy wrote: Unfortunatly, I have to have a 4x4 up here in northern Michigan.

You mean like a Subaru?

http://espn.go.com/action/rally/blog?archive=January
Ludi

Unread postby AAA » Mon 06 Apr 2009, 18:11:57

pstarr wrote:
shortonsense wrote:I'm considering acquiring a new Prius
gay commie.

pstarr,

I take back all the bad stuff I said about you. That was the funnest post I have seen in a long time.

It doesn't surprise me one minute that Americans are that short sighted. Most people who are buying SUVs probably can't afford them. Maybe they are buying them to live in since they are losing their homes.
How can Ludi spend 8-10 hrs/day on the internet and claim to be homesteading???
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance