Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Family Hunkering Down With Family

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Family Hunkering Down With Family

Unread postby deMolay » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 20:39:37

How many are experiencing this due to the economic crisis? This story reminds me of family stories from the 1930's Depression. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123905105150794313.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Family Hunkering Down With Family

Unread postby patience » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 21:06:59

Lots of that around here, with many jobless in Indiana. Elkhart,IN is the 4th worst city for unemployment in the US, and although we are all the way at the other end of the state, it's bad here, too. Lots of kids moving in with family.

Our family is okay at this point, but we could end up with my mother in law if Medicre/Medicaid fails. The younger daughter who lives in housing hell, San Diego, CA, has income from an annuity in a bank that they can't do anything about. It's the result of an insurance award for disabling injuries. That could go bad at any moment, so we are prepping for it.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby deMolay » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 21:11:08

We just had an elder relative arrive. Has had several strokes and needs help.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby gnm » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 21:13:27

Brother in law is being driven out of his house by oppressive taxes in NYC, SSN and pensions insecure for the grandparents... We are prepping for all with what little we can muster... :(

But at least all of them have useful crash skills!

-G
gnm

Unread postby JJ » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 21:15:35

Our store director here at our local HEB grocery in Burnet, Tx is from Nebraska. He said the other day that his parents are moving in with him because they can't make it in Nebraska anymore. He said he saw a lot of this coming up.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 21:21:03

Pic from the article:
So this is the American Dream then, I take it?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 22:15:33

I've been trying to get my family yo plan for this eventuality since last year. Some of them are starting to wake up to that fact, but it's taken a while. No one has had to move in with anyone yet.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 22:38:45

Sixstrings wrote:Pic from the article:
So this is the American Dream then, I take it?

Better than these people sucking up resources in row after row of leaky plywood McMansions. I mean, how credible is it for americans to shift from rugged individualism to the power of community? For families to start to cluster together is the first step in people powering down and learning to rely on eachother again. They aren't doing it for the expressed purpose of reducing their environmental footprint or anything, but if they are closer to living the way they have to be when TSHTF, all the better.
mos6507

Unread postby AgentR » Wed 08 Apr 2009, 23:35:08

Honestly those guys don't look like they are starving or anything.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Thu 09 Apr 2009, 06:49:54

Actually that old boy is living the American Dream. His young wife is happy. His little boy is happy. There are wind chimes hanging off the front porch. There is a john boat and a 4x4 parked out back. There is a two seventy in the gun rack along with a Shakespeare reel. There is fish in the freezer and venison in the fridge. There is a little tiny church down the road and a circle of friends you would not believe. They both have jobs and they both have each other. What else do you need?
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby the48thronin » Thu 09 Apr 2009, 08:48:53

Cloud9 wrote: There is fish in the freezer and venison in the fridge. There is a little tiny church down the road and a circle of friends you would not believe. They both have jobs and they both have each other. What else do you need?

Shade in case the power goes off.... Good response tho.
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Thu 09 Apr 2009, 12:06:11

Cloud9 wrote:Actually that old boy is living the American Dream. His young wife is happy. His little boy is happy. There are wind chimes hanging off the front porch. There is a john boat and a 4x4 parked out back. There is a two seventy in the gun rack along with a Shakespeare reel. There is fish in the freezer and venison in the fridge. There is a little tiny church down the road and a circle of friends you would not believe. They both have jobs and they both have each other. What else do you need?

+1

This is as it should be. I didn't really get it in my 20's, since I (like many others) was indoctrinated by the system to believe I didn't need anyone.

Now that I'm older, I understand. Someone has to watch your back while you sleep. If you can't trust and rely on your family to do it, you're screwed.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance