Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hundreds line up at temporary help agency

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Hundreds line up at temporary help agency

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 07:49:49

There were 200 people were in the temporary help office this morning. I was one of them. Every other time I was out of work in the past, I could always rely of the temp help agencies for casual day employment jobs for short term immediate cash.

A day employment job usually means being paid cash at the end of each day, being paid minimum wage. That cash can in a emergency finacial situation buy gasoline, food or other necessities people simply can't do without.

You have to get to the temp agency by 5AM to be first on the roster, which is difficult as the first city buses don't start running till 6AM. So if you don't have a car, you either have to take a cab, walk or bike ride to get there for 5AM.I have a car and today I was there at 5:10AM with the 200 people already there (most of whom walked there), I was so far down the roster as to give up any hope of temp work today.

This is just the beginning of the crisis. What happens when you get 20-30% unemployment, vs the 7% they have where I live??
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Hundreds line up at temporary help agency

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 08:42:36

I hope things work out for you........
vision-master

Re: Hundreds line up at temporary help agency

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 19:07:07

Repent wrote:There were 200 people were in the temporary help office this morning. I was one of them. Every other time I was out of work in the past, I could always rely of the temp help agencies for casual day employment jobs for short term immediate cash.

A day employment job usually means being paid cash at the end of each day, being paid minimum wage. That cash can in a emergency finacial situation buy gasoline, food or other necessities people simply can't do without.

You have to get to the temp agency by 5AM to be first on the roster, which is difficult as the first city buses don't start running till 6AM. So if you don't have a car, you either have to take a cab, walk or bike ride to get there for 5AM.I have a car and today I was there at 5:10AM with the 200 people already there (most of whom walked there), I was so far down the roster as to give up any hope of temp work today.

This is just the beginning of the crisis. What happens when you get 20-30% unemployment, vs the 7% they have where I live??

Considering those unemployed individuals which the "official" stats do not count, you probably already are closer to 20% unemployment than 7%...

I'm hoping I don't get laid off in the future. I have an EV to finish and a doomstead to save for...
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance