Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Eco Marathon results

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Eco Marathon results

Unread postby vampyregirl » Thu 23 Apr 2009, 00:04:34

At the 2009 Shell Eco Marathon Americas the Alerion Supermileage team from Laval University in Quebec won the grand prize in the prototype category by acheiving 1,172.2 kilometres per liter with their vehicle.
The prototype category features futuristic prototype vehicles such as streamlined vehicles with design elements such as drag reduction.
In the UrbanConcept category the Mater Dei Supermileage team from Mater Dei High School in Evansville Indiana took the grand prize by acheiving 184.2 km/l with their vehicle the Street Buggy.
Urban concept vehicles are closer in design to vehicles seen on the road today.

In other categories The Penn State University team took grand prize in the Fuel Cell/Hydrogen category by acheiving 813.2 km/l.
The Purdue Solar Racing team took grand prize in the solar category with their solar vehicle the Pulsar.

The Shell Eco Marathon measures distance and fuel effeciency instead of speed. It will undoubtably produce the vehicles of the future.
Last edited by vampyregirl on Thu 23 Apr 2009, 06:27:54, edited 1 time in total.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: Eco Marathon results

Unread postby IslandCrow » Thu 23 Apr 2009, 01:17:27

Could you please provide some links so we could see what the vehicles looked like? Thanks
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Eco Marathon results

Unread postby transshopguy » Sun 24 May 2009, 16:35:08

Here's a video on this page that shows what the cars look like.

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/re ... ricas.html

I was fortunate enough to go to this event since it's about 20 miles from where I live. I was most impressed with some of the solar cars that ran at a pretty good clip instead of puttering around the track like I had expected.
transshopguy
Wood
Wood

Return to Energy Technology