It's getting better, a little better all the time

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

It's getting better, a little better all the time

Unread postby copious.abundance » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 00:00:06

Can't get no worse. ;)

>>> Bloomberg <<<
Bernanke Warming Prompts Record Company Debt as Libor-OIS Falls
By Dakin Campbell and John Detrixhe

April 27 (Bloomberg) -- Wherever you look, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke’s efforts to repair global credit markets are showing signs of working.

The Libor-OIS premium that indicates banks’ reluctance to lend to each other fell to 0.87 percentage point on April 24, the lowest level since before Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. collapsed in September, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Companies have raised a record $468 billion in U.S. bond sales this year. Prices of the most senior portions of mortgage bonds backed by prime U.S. jumbo loans have climbed 24 percent in the past five weeks, according to London-based Barclays Capital.

[...]

Banks are lending to each other again, after credit dried up in August 2007 when losses from subprime mortgages left financial institutions with securities and financial contracts they couldn’t value. They froze when Lehman filed for the biggest bankruptcy in history on Sept. 15. The TED Spread measuring the difference between the London interbank offered rate for three-month dollar loans and the Treasury bill rate rose as high as 4.64 percentage points Oct. 10.

Libor fell for 19 straight days, to 1.07 percent, the lowest since June 2003. That’s the longest streak since it fell 22 days starting Oct. 13, when central banks around the world offered as much dollar funding as required.

“The short-term markets are in much better shape because the U.S. government has done a lot to help,” said Barr Segal, a managing director at Los Angeles-based TCW Group Inc., which holds $90 billion in fixed-income assets.

[...]

“The economy right now is in a healing process,” said Jonathan Basile, an economist at Credit Suisse in New York. “We’re stabilizing first. The rebound comes later.”

The Treasury yield curve measuring the difference between two- and 10-year yields is expanding, a signal investors expect growth and inflation to quicken. The gap widened to 2.05 percentage points on April 24, within one basis point of the biggest gap since Nov. 24. The curve averaged below zero in 2006 and the first half of 2007 as investors correctly forecast a recession.

“Time starts to heal things in this business, especially when you have a yield curve that is very steep,” said Donald Galante, chief investment officer and senior vice president of fixed income at MF Global Ltd. in New York, which provides trading execution and clearing services.

[...]

I have to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time
(Can't get no worse)
I have to admit it's getting better, it's getting better
Since you've been mine
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Re: It's getting better, a little better all the time

Unread postby FireJack » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 09:08:33

Ah trolling with the "I'm just the messenger" excuse. I think we all know that having the banks going back to lending to people who can't pay back is not going to work. To much debt. With housing prices continuing to drop and a second wave of mortgage defaults coming there is no question about the fact that it's going to get worse.
FireJack
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby retiredguy » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:03:27

"I'm digging a hole where the rain gets in..."
retiredguy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:07:03

'Trust but verify' :badgrin:
vision-master

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 13:19:48

Everywhere there's lots of piggies
Living piggy lives
You can see them out for dinner
With their piggy wives
Clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon.

From January: " Ted Spread " Says Economy Is Looking Sunnier : NPR. Leading Indicate or get off the pot.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Roy » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 15:11:38

OF2 >>> Turnip truck >> nasty fall.

Yes the conditions are ripe for the resumption of endless exponential growth and conspicuous consumption.

What better outcome could we ask for?

I know I won't be happy until every last acre of farmland and forest has at least one Mcmansion on it or maybe a mcdonalds or a Circle K.

If we only had more retail space for Americans!

Clearly more consumption is the answer to all of our troubles.
:lol:
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby copious.abundance » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 16:47:07

pstarr wrote:Most suburbanites are out of touch with realty/nature and believe their toys (read: technology) will fix everything. That Moore's Law is superseded by the Law of Thermodynamics is not relevant to those with insufficient science training.

With Moore's Law nullified we can forget about artificial intelligence, robotics, advanced speech recognition, nanotechnology, micro-engineering, and biotechnology as all these schema depend or are co-developed with micro-controls, micro-circuitry, and micro-manufacturing.

Hence:the End of Science and the End of Earth. too bad

Me used to be angry young man
Me hiding me head in the sand
[This] gave me the word
I finally heard
[We're] doing the best that [we] can
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 19:27:01

Gotta love that "Earth's Half Full" attitude! :P
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 22:26:37

OF2, who do you work for? Seriously.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Thralen » Mon 27 Apr 2009, 22:34:02

Totally off topic here but I can't see this thread headline without thinking of the movie "The Postman".
"Things are getting better all the time."

Thralen
Thralen
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Micki » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 00:48:23

OilFinder2 wrote:Can't get no worse. ;)

>>> Bloomberg <<<
Bernanke Warming Prompts Record Company Debt as Libor-OIS Falls
By Dakin Campbell and John Detrixhe

April 27 (Bloomberg) -- Wherever you look, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke’s efforts to repair global credit markets are showing signs of working.

The Libor-OIS premium that indicates banks’ reluctance to lend to each other fell to 0.87 percentage point on April 24, the lowest level since before Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. collapsed in September, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Companies have raised a record $468 billion in U.S. bond sales this year. Prices of the most senior portions of mortgage bonds backed by prime U.S. jumbo loans have climbed 24 percent in the past five weeks, according to London-based Barclays Capital.

[...]

Banks are lending to each other again, after credit dried up in August 2007 when losses from subprime mortgages left financial institutions with securities and financial contracts they couldn’t value. They froze when Lehman filed for the biggest bankruptcy in history on Sept. 15. The TED Spread measuring the difference between the London interbank offered rate for three-month dollar loans and the Treasury bill rate rose as high as 4.64 percentage points Oct. 10.

Libor fell for 19 straight days, to 1.07 percent, the lowest since June 2003. That’s the longest streak since it fell 22 days starting Oct. 13, when central banks around the world offered as much dollar funding as required.

“The short-term markets are in much better shape because the U.S. government has done a lot to help,” said Barr Segal, a managing director at Los Angeles-based TCW Group Inc., which holds $90 billion in fixed-income assets.

[...]

“The economy right now is in a healing process,” said Jonathan Basile, an economist at Credit Suisse in New York. “We’re stabilizing first. The rebound comes later.”

The Treasury yield curve measuring the difference between two- and 10-year yields is expanding, a signal investors expect growth and inflation to quicken. The gap widened to 2.05 percentage points on April 24, within one basis point of the biggest gap since Nov. 24. The curve averaged below zero in 2006 and the first half of 2007 as investors correctly forecast a recession.

“Time starts to heal things in this business, especially when you have a yield curve that is very steep,” said Donald Galante, chief investment officer and senior vice president of fixed income at MF Global Ltd. in New York, which provides trading execution and clearing services.

[...]

I have to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time
(Can't get no worse)
I have to admit it's getting better, it's getting better
Since you've been mine

Phew, I got a little bit worried after having watched Gerald Celente talk about Economic Armageddon by 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2qDW34F ... r_embedded
Micki

Unread postby odegaard » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 12:57:53

Phew, I got a little bit worried after having watched Gerald Celente talk about Economic Armageddon by 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2qDW34F ... r_embedded

Look at the reporter's face at about 1 minute 20 seconds in. LOL.

:lol:
"They're not too big to fail, they're too big to bail out!" Peter Schiff
odegaard
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 13:20:13

Jotapay wrote:OF2, who do you work for? Seriously.

I am Rita the meter maid, but I want to be a paperback writer.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby shortonoil » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 19:11:36

Jotapay wrote:

Who he works for is not really that important. What I want to know is how he gets his head stuck in so many holes?

At the same time?

If we knew that we might be able to comprehend the government!

Oily probably thinks he is going to get a lollypop when this is all done. Wait until he finds out that in the end his masters really intend to eat him!
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 21:13:44

shortonoil wrote:Jotapay wrote:
Who he works for is not really that important. What I want to know is how he gets his head stuck in so many holes? At the same time? If we knew that we might be able to comprehend the government!
Oily probably thinks he is going to get a lollypop when this is all done. Wait until he finds out that in the end his masters really intend to eat him!

shortonoil I think you need some . . .Image
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby shortonoil » Wed 29 Apr 2009, 12:48:42

Oily said:

shortonoil I think you need some . . .

You need some help with your color blindness. You can’t tell the difference between your “red” pills and your “blue” ones.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 29 Apr 2009, 12:53:36

OilFinder2 wrote:
shortonoil wrote:Jotapay wrote:
Who he works for is not really that important. What I want to know is how he gets his head stuck in so many holes? At the same time? If we knew that we might be able to comprehend the government! Oily probably thinks he is going to get a lollypop when this is all done. Wait until he finds out that in the end his masters really intend to eat him!

shortonoil I think you need some . . .[quote]
Some fooks will do anything for money. Clearly, Oily is getting paid to spew mis-information here.
vision-master

Next

Return to Economics & Finance