Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Are we 40% down in oil use from last year

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby AskMaxim » Thu 30 Apr 2009, 08:34:59

I would like to confirm what I 'heard' or 'misheard' recently:

Is the current downturn in crude oil price is due to a 40% drop in demand/consumption since the peak of 2008 ?

See, I also picked an idea from an unconfirmed source that without oil people on Earth will manage to produce about 20% energy of the 2008 oil-based total energy .

Are we indeed already half-way to sustainable levels without 'that much' pain?
Maxime
Principal at Sea View Home
http://www.sea-view-home.com/
Building sustainable homes
AskMaxim
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AskMaxim » Thu 30 Apr 2009, 08:35:50

I would like to confirm what I 'heard' or 'misheard' recently:

Is the current downturn in crude oil price is due to a 40% drop in demand/consumption since the peak of 2008 ?

See, I also picked an idea from an unconfirmed source that without oil people on Earth will manage to produce about 20% energy of the 2008 oil-based total energy .

Are we indeed already half-way to sustainable levels without 'that much' pain?
Maxime
Principal at Sea View Home
http://www.sea-view-home.com/
Building sustainable homes
AskMaxim
Wood
Wood

Re: Are we 40% down in oil use from last year

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Thu 30 Apr 2009, 08:59:03

There has not been a 40% decline in demand although there has been a drop. I don't have the numbers but it's <5%, I believe. The amazing thing about inelastic items like oil is that just a 1% shortfall can cause massive run-ups in price just as a 1% supply-demand gap can cause massive declines in price.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pup55 » Thu 30 Apr 2009, 12:07:06

OF2 has been tracking this statistic, and the 5% figure is about right for the US, for gasoline it is less than 1% demand drop, for jet fuel it is on the order of 10-15% depending on month.

Globally it might be 5-6%, in Europe and the US, Japan and China are a lot more severe, though, I think the last I heard was maybe 10% for Japan and 16% for China. Japan has been on a downward trajectory for several years due to their conservation efforts. China is down that much because they are at or near depression level economics, although they would never admit it publicly.

But no 40%.

The reason it dropped so much was that it was a bit overinflated at the peak. It is a bit underinflated now. The figure people keep throwing around is in the 60-s as the equilibrium price for oil....which I think is about what it was in late 2007 before all of the craziness started.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lanthanide » Sun 03 May 2009, 08:03:38

The quick figures from those numbers is 2009 consumption is down 1.9% on 2008, and 2.8% on 2007. Not a very large drop at all.
Lanthanide
Peat
Peat

Return to Peak Oil Discussion