Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Economic trend Query (short term)

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Economic trend Query (short term)

Unread postby endtimes » Sun 03 May 2009, 11:35:07

what turn do you think the economy will take in the next six to twelve month,s.don,t know if this is suppose to be posted here but if not i will hear about it.
Last edited by AirlinePilot on Mon 04 May 2009, 23:58:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarify title
endtimes
Wood
Wood

Re: have question

Unread postby Grautr » Sun 03 May 2009, 11:48:34

Well the polititians keep saying they see glimmers of hope and the markets are up but I see no real evidence of anything getting better yet. House prices are still going down and jobs being lost. Until these two fundermentals stabalize things will not improve.
Grautr
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Sun 03 May 2009, 11:59:23

Short term rally continues. We may be near the top of that. All these "green Shoots" of good news are nothing more than pundits grasping for anything floating in the surrounding maelstrom. They cant see past their noses to the larger picture that long term we cannot continue on our present course of debt spending and larcenous lending/banking processes. At some point later this year or into early next year the Bond market has what most would call a dislocation. US Government spends itself into bankruptcy and the Dollar loses its value and status as a world currency. Good luck on predicting a time line, but my guess is this happens within a year or so. There are too many larger problems which point to more downward pressure in the greater economy and the US markets for me to believe we go back to Business as Usual anytime soon.

Once the US dollar loses its reserve currency things get very ugly for the US as everything we import, including large amounts of oil, becomes very, very, expensive very quickly. Any possibility of growth goes way with that. I beleive it significantly affects the global economy due to the destruction of the economic engine that is the United States.

After that, think Mad max.

I am hoping and praying that we figure out some other path, but currently we are on the road of Quantitative Easing which is purely an attempt to re-inflate the housing and credit bubbles which got us into this mess. I truly do not think it will work. We go bankrupt before there is any hope of plugging up the giant holes of liquidity which MUST be exposed. Our leaders are using a playbook which might have worked in times past without realizing this go around is very different and of a much greater magnitude than anything we have seen in modern times.

How do you like me now?? :)
AirlinePilot

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 03 May 2009, 12:25:31

endtimes wrote:what turn do you think the economy will take in the next six to twelve month,s.don,t know if this is suppose to be posted here but if not i will hear about it.

We are close to 'the end of the age'.

The economy will continue to tank for many more years.
vision-master

Unread postby endtimes » Sun 03 May 2009, 13:03:33

thanks for your reply,s.i too feel that we have a long ,long way to go and haven,t come close to the end yet. i listened to a preacher this morning who said (almost word for word as did airline pilot,you were,nt preaching on tv this morning were you) that we have hard times ahead.
Last edited by endtimes on Sun 03 May 2009, 22:11:51, edited 1 time in total.
endtimes
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Armageddon » Sun 03 May 2009, 14:11:12

AirlinePilot wrote:Short term rally continues. We may be near the top of that. All these "green Shoots" of good news are nothing more than pundits grasping for anything floating in the surrounding maelstrom. They cant see past their noses to the larger picture that long term we cannot continue on our present course of debt spending and larcenous lending/banking processes. At some point later this year or into early next year the Bond market has what most would call a dislocation. US Government spends itself into bankruptcy and the Dollar loses its value and status as a world currency. Good luck on predicting a time line, but my guess is this happens within a year or so. There are too many larger problems which point to more downward pressure in the greater economy and the US markets for me to believe we go back to Business as Usual anytime soon.

Once the US dollar loses its reserve currency things get very ugly for the US as everything we import, including large amounts of oil, becomes very, very, expensive very quickly. Any possibility of growth goes way with that. I beleive it significantly affects the global economy due to the destruction of the economic engine that is the United States.

After that, think Mad max.

I am hoping and praying that we figure out some other path, but currently we are on the road of Quantitative Easing which is purely an attempt to re-inflate the housing and credit bubbles which got us into this mess. I truly do not think it will work. We go bankrupt before there is any hope of plugging up the giant holes of liquidity which MUST be exposed. Our leaders are using a playbook which might have worked in times past without realizing this go around is very different and of a much greater magnitude than anything we have seen in modern times.

How do you like me now?? :)

More than I use to :shock:
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Sun 03 May 2009, 16:19:34

endtimes wrote:what turn do you think the economy will take in the next six to twelve month,s.don,t know if this is suppose to be posted here but if not i will hear about it.

A Titanic turn.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Buggy » Sun 03 May 2009, 18:25:31

I recently replaced the starter solonoid in my 83 Capri. the new solonoid would stick in the closed position. That is bad. Starter kept starting while the engine was running and even after I turned it off and took out the key. I tried to find a solonoid that was not a piece of crap made in China for my American car. None available. China is making money off of us in every single market. They would still make money off of us even if every American simultaneously stopped shopping at Wal-Mart. As long as they are making more money off of us then they are losing, they will continue to support us. When the ratio flip flops, a point which nobody can predict because nobody but the inside insiders have those numbers, the fat lady will start singing the Star Spangled Banner in Minor. However, as a note of encouragement, we are in the exact same spot the Athenians were in at the end.
"We have flown up our own collective numeric bung-hole."
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 03 May 2009, 19:00:43

Buggy wrote:I recently replaced the starter solonoid in my 83 Capri. the new solonoid would stick in the closed position. That is bad. Starter kept starting while the engine was running and even after I turned it off and took out the key. I tried to find a solonoid that was not a piece of crap made in China for my American car. None available. China is making money off of us in every single market. They would still make money off of us even if every American simultaneously stopped shopping at Wal-Mart. As long as they are making more money off of us then they are losing, they will continue to support us. When the ratio flip flops, a point which nobody can predict because nobody but the inside insiders have those numbers, the fat lady will start singing the Star Spangled Banner in Minor. However, as a note of encouragement, we are in the exact same spot the Athenians were in at the end.

But they had those magic crystals. :(
vision-master

Unread postby Buggy » Sun 03 May 2009, 20:58:55

vision-master wrote:
Buggy wrote:I recently replaced the starter solonoid in my 83 Capri. the new solonoid would stick in the closed position. That is bad. Starter kept starting while the engine was running and even after I turned it off and took out the key. I tried to find a solonoid that was not a piece of crap made in China for my American car. None available. China is making money off of us in every single market. They would still make money off of us even if every American simultaneously stopped shopping at Wal-Mart. As long as they are making more money off of us then they are losing, they will continue to support us. When the ratio flip flops, a point which nobody can predict because nobody but the inside insiders have those numbers, the fat lady will start singing the Star Spangled Banner in Minor. However, as a note of encouragement, we are in the exact same spot the Athenians were in at the end.

But they had those magic crystals. :(

True, and we have the MSM telling us the bottom is behind us and the recession will be over by summer. Care to tell a Chrysler or GM line worker that?
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Schmuto » Sun 03 May 2009, 21:19:48

Recession is ending.

You know this because the number of unemployed keeps growing.

And it's common sense that the more unemployed people there are walking around without money, the stronger the economy becomes.

This is why the unemployment statistic is know as a "magic indicator."

Unlike those unreliable "leading indicators, current indicators," and "lagging indicators," which are all speciously pointing south, the "magic indicator" of unemployment is signalling that we'll all have our own f--k me Elmo dolls by Christ mass, and Santa himself will deliver the good news that GDP has gone up 25% in the 4th quarter, Bush the 3rd's wife has immaculately conceived, and Dick Cheney has stroked out to the point where he's almost as dumb as Bush the 2nd.

Happy New Year.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Buggy » Sun 03 May 2009, 21:27:35

Schmuto wrote:Recession is ending.

You know this because the number of unemployed keeps growing.

And it's common sense that the more unemployed people there are walking around without money, the stronger the economy becomes.

This is why the unemployment statistic is know as a "magic indicator."

Unlike those unreliable "leading indicators, current indicators," and "lagging indicators," which are all speciously pointing south, the "magic indicator" of unemployment is signalling that we'll all have our own f--k me Elmo dolls by Christ mass, and Santa himself will deliver the good news that GDP has gone up 25% in the 4th quarter, Bush the 3rd's wife has immaculately conceived, and Dick Cheney has stroked out to the point where he's almost as dumb as Bush the 2nd.

Happy New Year.

I absolutely love the way you think! I can't hardly wait for the results of the bank stress test results to be released!!!! What a load of bullspit that will be!!!!! The American economy is strong! The banks are sound! The stock market will jump 300pts and Omama will be telling us it's time to go shopping! No thank you.
James Howard Kunstler
Buggy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby patience » Sun 03 May 2009, 22:00:07

Quote:
"Once the US dollar loses its reserve currency things get very ugly for the US as everything we import, including large amounts of oil, becomes very, very, expensive very quickly. Any possibility of growth goes way with that. I beleive it significantly affects the global economy due to the destruction of the economic engine that is the United States."

AirlinePilot,

What do you think the govt response will be to a "bond dislocation"/currency crash, ala Iceland? I know, they have done everything wrong up to here, but they are still a factor to consider. Guesses anyone?
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 04 May 2009, 07:10:54

It's going from this:
CMBS Defaults, Delinquencies Tripled Last Quarter, Reis Says

By Hui-yong Yu

May 1 (Bloomberg) -- Defaults and late payments on property loans sold as commercial mortgage-backed securities tripled to 1.8 percent of outstanding balances in the first quarter and may rise to the highest in almost two decades, Reis Inc. said today.

... snip ...

To this:

Final clearance for many U.S. malls
Record bankruptcy a taste of troubles ahead

By Gary Lamphier, The Edmonton Journal
April 18, 2009

... skip ...

As much as $400 billion of commercial mortgages are reportedly at risk of default or foreclosure in 2009, as the U.S. retail and office sectors hollow out, and property owners are squeezed by their lenders.

... snip ...
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Mon 04 May 2009, 15:22:24

could a mod change the title plz?
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Schmuto » Mon 04 May 2009, 19:22:58

bodigami wrote:could a mod change the title plz?

Clean up the title, delete old threads.

Lady, how OCD are you? :)
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby endtimes » Mon 04 May 2009, 21:27:59

do you have any suggestion,s as to how it should read.i had a question how much more simple can that be.
endtimes
Wood
Wood

Re: Economic trend Query (short term)

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Mon 04 May 2009, 23:59:26

I changed it, a bit more informational now.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 05 May 2009, 00:35:25

Schmuto wrote:
bodigami wrote:could a mod change the title plz?

Clean up the title, delete old threads.

Lady, how OCD are you? :)

and delete accounts that have 0 posts for more than 4 months.

btw, i am a guy, not a lady.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Economics & Finance