Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Getting America Off Oil: The Oil Solutions Initiative

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 14 May 2009, 00:01:38

I've just read this article from Energy Bulletin which I would like to share with members:

Instead of allowing the differences in the plans to divert attention from the important solution these groups were all striving for, RMI partnered with the Brookings Institution and created the Oil Solutions Initiative (OSI), a multi-pronged effort to use the strengths of all the plans without losing sight of the shared goal: reducing America’s dependence on oil.

RMI and Brookings then created a network which included representatives from all the groups with plans related to making the United States less oil dependent: the Alliance for Climate Protection, the Apollo Alliance, the Council on Competitiveness, the Energy Security Leadership Council, Andy Grove’s “Retrofit” Plan, the Institute for 21st Century Energy, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the National Commission on Energy Policy, the National Petroleum Council, NRDC, the Pickens Plan, Set America Free, Brookings, and RMI.

After initial interviews with representatives from each group and research into the various plans themselves, RMI and Brookings convened the collection of stakeholders, at Brookings’s Washington, D.C. facilities, during an Oil Solutions summit.

Perhaps the most surprising thing the whole process has revealed is the growing nationwide interest in getting off oil. In past decades, as soon as oil has dropped in price, it’s been forgotten. By time of RMI/Brookings Oil Solutions summit, oil was back down to around $40 a barrel and the economy was tanking. But RMI and the 13 other groups’ focus on oil independence shows that oil issues— that is, oil’s impact on the economy, security and the environment—have become just too weighty to be ignored.

http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/pid600.php
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Getting America Off Oil: The Oil Solutions Initiative

Unread postby Windmills » Thu 14 May 2009, 10:57:11

Leave it to market capitalism to get us off oil. The invisible hand will do one of the things it does best, self-destruct. Blind overconsumption and typical lack of foresight will crash the system and get us off oil in a nice, painful way. No need for planning at all. Once there's an economic "recovery" in the next year or so, we should see a good price signal in oil. So the plan is business as usual. That will lead us right to the crisis level motivation necessary to accomplish any real change.
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Getting America Off Oil: The Oil Solutions Initiative

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 14 May 2009, 11:24:10

I look at things like this with a combination of hope and disinterest. I hope that it amounts to something, but I feel it is so late in the game that issuing reams of "paper" about how to solve thing seems like having a meeting about how to exit the Titanic when the water is already up to our waists. These intellectual discussions and the long timelines required before the rubber meet the road seem wholly inadequate to meet the challenge facing us at the rate it's headed our way. I can only hope that the economic collapse has bought us some time vis a vis demand destruction.
mos6507

Return to North America Discussion