Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

looking for PO presentation

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

looking for PO presentation

Unread postby dsula » Tue 19 May 2009, 11:50:37

Hi,
Does anybody know of a recent slideshow presentation of PO which can be used with non-technical folks and most importantly that will clearly show how important oil is and that no alternative (bio diesel, wind, solar etc) will come to the rescue. It would also be nice to predict the effects of PO (e.g reduction population, standard of living, hunger?).
Thanks for any useful links.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: looking for PO presentation

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 19 May 2009, 11:52:58

Google matt simmons
vision-master

Unread postby dsula » Tue 19 May 2009, 12:37:05

vision-master wrote:Google matt simmons

No, I'm looking for something simpler than that. Less talk about rusting oil equipment and lack of drilling rigs. And more talk about why alternatives don't work.

I figure this is one of my most difficult point to bring across. Why are alternatives no alternatives? Why can't we plaster Arizone full of solar panels and generate hydrogen? And then there's NG and so forth.

Also some little "doomer" stuff thrown in would be nice, you know, collapse of society and hunger and such.

I was hoping to find such a presentation ready made, but if not, I'll do it myself.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby davep » Tue 19 May 2009, 13:21:57

Shannymara wrote:Potential starting point:

http://wolf.readinglitho.co.uk/mainpages/altenergy.html

I read the Wolf at the Door site before joining here, it was a good primer. It's moved on a lot since.

And IIRC he used to live in Reading, but has since moved to Devon. To a doomstead?
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby some_math_guy » Tue 19 May 2009, 15:28:34

If you are going to do your own presentation, you should use Richard Heinberg's 'The Party's Over' as the 'plain and simple' guide to explaining peak oil, especially the section about alternatives and their limitations. Even with all of my peak oil books, I keep coming back to that book as the friendliest, most accessible work available. Richard's skill as a presenter, lecturer, and writer really show in that book. As formidable as Matt Simmons' presentations are, they are not very good for the general public as they are tailored to oil industry professionals, investors, and other folks that are 'in the know'.

Why don't you upload the slides you come up with once you're done? I think it would be challenging to be able to do a 30-minute talk on peak oil and have your audience 'get it' in a really mobilizing way. I mean, Chris Martenson's Crash Course is 3 1/2 hours long! Mike Rupert used to talk for 3-4 hours at his public engagements! Great material, but you have to be really interested to stay with it.

Think in terms of 30 minutes as the maximum attention span of the average person, based on the length of the TV episode...or perhaps 22 minutes? :)

Best of luck!
Kevin
some_math_guy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby coyote » Tue 19 May 2009, 17:49:30

I'm a fan of the Dr Albert Bartlett vid Arithmetic, Population and Energy, though it doesn't really have alternatives stuff in there.
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby bodigami » Thu 21 May 2009, 00:26:13

if you can send them a video, this one is nice.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Return to Peak Oil Discussion