Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Sonia Sotomayor Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

THE Sonia Sotomayor Thread (merged)

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 26 May 2009, 10:42:07

Sotomayor nominated for SC - Stock up on Guns now.
Comrade Sotomayor wrote:“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,”

And this judicial law making, horrid diction rant:
Comrade Sotomayor wrote:"A court of appeals is where policy is made. And I know — I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. O.K. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.”

You know? I'm sorry, I don't know. You're saying that a court of appeals' purpose is to "make policy"? Well, while I agree that that is how they unconstitutionally function, I disagree that that is the correct statement of purpose of appeals courts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15judge.html

I'm giving it 3 years until we have SC decision that says you have no Constitutional right to possess a firearm on your person outside of your home.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Sotomayor nominated for SC - Stock up on Guns now.

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 26 May 2009, 10:58:55

"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 26 May 2009, 11:04:15

TheAntiDoomer wrote:Image

vision-master

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 26 May 2009, 11:07:56

pstarr wrote:You do realize Smuto that you have not made a point. Who is this guy?

It's not a dude, it's a chick !

Sonia Sotomayor

Kind of an odd choice. She has type I diabetes, smokes like a chiminy. She also grew up in the projects in the Bronx, father died when she was 8. George HW Bush was the one who gave her the first appointment to the District court. Odd choice because of the medical history, odds are she won't live long.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Tue 26 May 2009, 11:18:30

Q #1: How much undeclared taxable income does she have? Is it more or less than Turbo Timmy Geithner?
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 26 May 2009, 11:36:22

When you pause the purge too long in order to enjoy the
plunder, your pockets get heavy and while you hold your
pants up, these people sneak in as if they are an old
white guy and have the right to be there.

It is hard, but you have to get outside yourself and learn
about their gender or culture so you can smear them.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 26 May 2009, 12:13:53

dinopello wrote:Kind of an odd choice. She has type I diabetes, smokes like a chiminy.....Odd choice because of the medical history, odds are she won't live long.

The main reason she was selected is because she is a "twofer", i.e. both a woman and a Hispanic. The Obamites signaled early on that they would only be considering a woman for this seat---and by appointing Sotomayor they send a sop to Hispanics and women at the same time.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 26 May 2009, 12:18:06

We will have the same 5-4 conservative/liberal balance that we had before.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 26 May 2009, 12:25:20

pstarr wrote:You do realize Smuto that you have not made a point. Who is this guy? Why should I care? How does the bear on the 2nd Amendment? And will somebody slip the kid a goddamn lolly already Let me guess? Sotomayer is an Obama appointee for the supreme court.

Double all the doses PStarr.

(p.s. - 1. sotomayor was the lead candidate for the job and 2. SC in the title is Supreme Court. Sorry to presume the reader would know these things).
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 26 May 2009, 12:26:31

Shannymara wrote:
Schmuto wrote:You're saying that a court of appeals' purpose is to "make policy"?

Well, while I agree that that is how they unconstitutionally function, I disagree that that is the correct statement of purpose of appeals courts.

It sounded to me like she was acknowledging that. I'm surprised you're so bothered by her acknowledgment of reality. We need more of that (telling the truth), not less.

I'm not bothered by it, I'm surprised at how stupid she was to admit it.
-
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 26 May 2009, 12:27:33

efarmer wrote:When you pause the purge too long in order to enjoy the
plunder, your pockets get heavy and while you hold your
pants up, these people sneak in as if they are an old
white guy and have the right to be there.

It is hard, but you have to get outside yourself and learn
about their gender or culture so you can smear them.

Please go visit PStarr and pick up some of his meds. Start with a 1/4 dose relative to Pstarr.
-
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 26 May 2009, 13:00:12

Sotomayer is a shoo-in to be confirmed. (1) Dems hold 59 seats --- going on 60 --- in the Senate and (2) Sotomayer is a Hispanic, and Reps are frightened to offend Hispanics because of their rapidly growing population numbers and voting strength.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 26 May 2009, 15:32:12

I agree with Plantagenet on this being a political fit that
ends up with an appointee that can be approved.

Meds, guilt and a gun, may I titrate Doc until I reach
the right dosage? Why not gun, PRN?
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 26 May 2009, 16:02:10

I don't like her, because she sounds like an idiot. Someone who cannot make a coherent point about their beliefs and strategies has no business being on SCOTUS.

I hate to say it, but my favorite two justices, Roberts and Scalia, are conservative. Scalia is very conservative, but I actually have completely agreed with his reasoning lately.

Regarding the 2nd Amendment, she replaces a liberal judge. Unless a conservative retires soon, the 2nd Amendment is not in jeopardy.
Last edited by Jotapay on Tue 26 May 2009, 16:37:48, edited 1 time in total.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 26 May 2009, 16:07:25

I agree she isn't terribly articulate, but it really doesn't matter if she is articulate or not. She wasn't picked because she was articulate.

She was picked to be the first Hispanic SCOTUS judge.

The media loves these heartwarming stories of "firsts" and the dems have 59 votes in the Senate. There will be tears in the Senate chambers when she tells her story of rising from the projects to the Supreme Court.

Mark her down as easily confirmed.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 26 May 2009, 16:20:42

By making this highly visible appointment, Obama and the dems have shrewdly moved to lock the rapidly growing Hispanic vote into the democratic party coalition:

"..... the latest data on nonmarital births, as compiled by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). “Childbearing by unmarried women has resumed a steep climb since 2002,” the NCHS reports. Between 2002 and 2007, the birth rate among unmarried women increased by 21 percent; since 1980, it has increased by 80 percent. In 2007, almost 40 percent of all births in the United States were to unmarried women. The out-of-wedlock birth rate among blacks was just under 72 percent, while the rate among non-Hispanic whites was nearly 28 percent.

The recent trend among Hispanics is especially alarming, when we consider that their share of the U.S. population will grow significantly over the coming decades. Between 2002 and 2006, the birth rate among unmarried Hispanic women jumped by 20 percent. In 2007, more than 51 percent of all Hispanic births were out of wedlock."

Hispanics have much higher birthrates then native born Americans, and the rapid growth in out-of-wedlock births will tend to lock large numbers of them into welfare dependency, making this rapidly growing demographic group natural supporters of the democratic party whose great empathy towards people of color and the less privileged is well known. In the 2008 election 2 out 3 Hispanics voted for Obama and the dems.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby OutOfGas » Tue 26 May 2009, 19:26:20

This will be President for Life Obama's first SC pick of many. The deck is being stacked.
Forget the Constitution, life experiences and politics will be the factor for SC decisions.
OutOfGas
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cloud9 » Tue 26 May 2009, 20:03:37

Judge Sotomayor may very well be a surprise to everyone. Her tendency to correct her cohorts’ grammatical mistakes and her capacity for long rambling opinions may make her a justice of one. The court may tire of her very quickly and she may find it difficult to find allies on the left or the right.

John Marshal led us down this road and one day we will have to deal with the tyranny of the court.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 26 May 2009, 21:03:53

Jotapay - I disagree about the 2nd amendment. The D.C. case was limited in its holding to the right to have gun - IN YOU HOME.

The 2nd amendment clearly says - BEAR - I want to carry my cannon everywhere, not just on my doomstead.

Just because they are "conservative" doesn't mean they won't support limitations on guns. Don't be fooled by their titles.

Shanny - this one is near and dear to my heart, and I could write 20 pages about my experiences with it, but, essentially, the leftists who have been butchering the Constitution for the last 200 years all have rigidly toed the line they give - we are not "creating law," we are "interpreting" the Constitution.

If you read Roe v. Wade and the constitutional amendment on which it was based, you'll have no doubt that they are, really, just creating law.

But it is a sacred cow among the leftists to not fuel the anger of the other side by admitting they are making law.

That's why it was stupid - because, in the long run, she's just adding fuel to the fire of the other side by acknowledging that they are correct when they accuse her of legislating from the bench.
-
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to North America Discussion