Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The fall of the mall

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The fall of the mall

Unread postby the48thronin » Sun 31 May 2009, 05:21:47

The Fall of the Mall By LEFTLOFT NYTimes

What does a recession look like? Well, here’s one view, as seen through retail sales. The theoretical mall maps below show 27 companies with stores or restaurants in malls across America. (In some cases, these companies own more than one chain of stores.) In the bottom map, the change in the size of the stores is determined by sales in the first quarter of 2009 as compared to the same quarter in the previous year. Color in the bottom map is meant to indicate the depth of the drop — or the height of the rise — in sales. The deeper the red, the steeper the loss.
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The fall of the mall

Unread postby shortonoil » Sun 31 May 2009, 14:04:33

I looks like the day of mega-retail is rapidly coming to an end. Stuck with long term contracts on retail space and large loans that can not be refinanced, many of these outfits will not be able to cut cost fast enough to survive. There doesn’t seem much doubt that retailers and owners of retail space will soon be falling like flies.

Debt free and efficient Mom & Pops will again soon have their day.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby AgentR » Sun 31 May 2009, 14:47:15

shortonoil wrote:Debt free and efficient Mom & Pops will again soon have their day.

Mom'n'Pops have been slain by Amazon and Co... They just don't know it yet.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby odegaard » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 16:26:55

the48thronin wrote:The Fall of the Mall By LEFTLOFT NYTimes
+1
Net consumer spending is down of course, but this confirms my theory Americans are cutting back on frivolous un-necessities and instead are spending money on stores that offer a lot of value for the dollar.
The Family Dollar store is picking up extra business but Build-a-Bear is getting slaughtered.

As cute as it may be consumers are no longer eager to spend $30 dressing up a teddy bear.
It was an interesting business concept........while it lasted.
I'm quite sure historians 100 years from now are going to have a really fun time learning about all the crazy shit we spend our money on.
http://www.buildabear.com/
add on:
To clarify my position I have NOTHING against anyone.
I'd MUCH rather have people generating an income in an "unnecessary" industry (like dressing up teddy bears) rather than unemployed and collecting welfare + food stamps from the rest of us.
When PO strikes I think many peak-oilers will Lament the loss of all those "unnecessary" industries.
"They're not too big to fail, they're too big to bail out!" Peter Schiff
odegaard
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 19:18:20

The Family Dollar store is a rip-off. I stay away from those junk stores.
vision-master

Unread postby shortonoil » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 11:52:42

odegaard said:

When PO strikes I think many peak-oilers will Lament the loss of all those "unnecessary" industries.

pstarr, can you explain to this poster the fallacy of building an unsustainable economy! One constructed totally on a resource that depletes without regard to its depletion characteristics. Also tell them about the eventual of loss life, destruction of the habitat and suffering that is guaranteed to result from such a course.

Anyone who will be lamenting the loss of “unnecessary” industries, probably did not have much understanding of how precarious the situation was to begin with. As to “when PO strikes”: oil companies are cutting back on E&D to the tune of $170 billion as demand falls. Production is falling along with it. The FED, Treasury pumped $12.7 trillion into the financial system last year, and banks still are not loaning and are still insolvent. Every major economy in the world is now contacting. The PO world is here.

AvailableEnergy
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby patience » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 12:01:59

Quote: "...an unsustainable economy..."

Equals a walking dinosaur that does not know yet that it is dead.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby the48thronin » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 13:36:39

patience wrote:Quote: "...an unsustainable economy..."

Equals a walking dinosaur that does not know yet that it is dead.

you mean they cant depend on constant growth supplier managed jit distribution based on cheap transport from slave labor camps to market? Where will we get our sea food if not from polluted ponds in slave labor countries?
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance