Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Law Professor: DON'T talk to police

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

US Law Professor: DON'T talk to police

Unread postby Micki » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 01:03:21

Never talk to the police. ESPECIALLY if you are innocent.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4885833865
Enjoy
Micki

Re: US Law Professor: DON'T talk to police

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 01:57:51

This is a catch-22. Obviously, police cannot solve crimes if those with information don't speak up. ON THE OTHER HAND.. if you believe that you in ANY way could be construed as a suspect, then don't talk to any cops before you talk to a lawyer. And a good lawyer will tell you to keep your mouth shut.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby 35Kas » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 05:27:30

Dont talk to the police ever. If you don't think yo are a suspect or even could be, by opening your mouth they could end up making you one.

I'll be sure to pass this information along.
35Kas
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 05:32:19

Going a step further back.

It's not a good idea to play peace maker.

The number of times I've ended up in lumber trying to calm a situation down. This is particularly bad when the old bill are involved. They don't seem to be able to draw any distinction between people trying to help and the protagonists. :x

I still end up trying to help though. :oops:
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby spotacus » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 06:06:56

Someday I will have to tell you all about when I was falsely accused.

It involved a road rage incident, a missing bit of trim from my Mom's car. A motorcyclist who didn't get a full numberplate, A blond chick who rammed a motorcyclist off the road who the police assumed must be my girlfriend off and drove the same make of car as my mums. Aggressive questioning by the police at 2:00 in the morning, Totally out the blue, it was like the Shawshank redemption.

"We know your lying"

"You could put bamboo under my fingernails, you still would get the same answer"
spotacus
Peat
Peat

Unread postby patience » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 12:08:51

Good advice. I know that for a fact. Nevermind how I know.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Schmuto » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 12:24:49

I'm an attorney.

I don't give legal advice on the Internet, but, for what it's worth, here's how I'd handle any such interaction . . .

Cop comes up and asks question . . .

Start - - -

Path A -
Me - What's this about?
Cop - Any answer other than exactly what this is about.
Me - I'm sorry officer, I have nothing to say unless I know exactly what this is about.

Path B -
Me - What's this about?
Cop - Tells me what this is about and there is zero doubt that it implicates me at all (this includes any hint whatsover that the cop/fed is lying about what this is about).
Me - Help out - it's my moral and civic duty, but understanding that any question that hints that the cop/fed is interested in my whereabouts/behavior, etcetera immediately ends the conversation.

Path C -
Me - What's this about?
Cop - Tells me what this is about and there is even a remote chance it implicates me.
Me - I'm sorry officer, I have nothing to say about this matter.

And that's it.

I'm prepared for cop bullying threats - "show me your ID" or "I'll arrest you for [whatever - cops usually don't know more than basics about the law]"

If I'm not going to make my Constitutional stand, I show my ID or just shrug at the arrest threat.

He wants to arrest me? Great. I can use all the easy lawsuit money some fool wants to throw at me.

He wants to see my ID? Fine. On some day in the future I might peacefully protest that request, but today, no issue.

But I say nothing. Not a word.

Remember Schmuto's Golden Rule of police/federal interrogation:

They can legally tell you any lie, and, accordingly, no word they speak should be considered true. If you lie to them, however, that is, in and of itself, a crime, and you can be put in jail for it.

Don't lie to the Feds/Cops.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TWilliam » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 13:01:18

Just in case folks missed it, there is a second part to the video which has the police officer that he mentions responding to his presentation and giving some examples on exactly how they can get a conviction even if you're innocent and say nothing that can be construed, in and of itself, as implicating you. Even more valuable info than the first part IMO...

Part II
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 15:18:47

Excellent find. Part II is also very good as TWilliam mentioned.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pablonite » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 17:15:44

Heh, just finished reading an ebook titled "Arrest Proof Yourself" for those of you who have so far managed to stay off the "plantation" in America, it's well worth the download. It's a quick, interesting and very informative read :)
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Schmuto » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 18:07:21

I want to clarify something here . . .

There's a huge difference between talking to the police about something that doesn't involve you and something that does or that may.

If a cop asks you if you've seen a particular car in the area, that's one thing.

If the cop asks you if you own a particular car, that's another.

So to make sure everybody understood my 1st post -

The nano-second that any cop says anything that even remotely implies that he's investigating a crime and I may be a suspect, the conversation is over.

If the cop comes to my house, for example, I presume the above to be true unless something convinces me otherwise.

If, on the other hand, the cop is asking a question about something unrelated to me - for example, there was a break in at the shop next to mine, what did I see - then of course I help.

Yes, there are cases where it's gray - if it's gray, have nothing to say.

But I don't think I want to live in a world where everybody applies the rule that they don't talk to cops no matter what.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Never Talk To The Police

Unread postby mattduke » Wed 27 Jan 2010, 22:33:34

mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Never Talk To The Police

Unread postby pablonite » Wed 27 Jan 2010, 23:32:16

I can save you from reading this book in four words. Don't talk to police. :)
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 28 Jan 2010, 00:14:47

It's tough to talk your way out of a ticket if you give the cop the silent treatment. In fact, the cop may consider it rude.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Novus » Thu 28 Jan 2010, 07:17:31

That guys voice is so annoying no wonder he advocates never speaking to police because the instant he opened his mouth he would be arrested for no other reason than speaking like an idiot. lol :)
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Thu 28 Jan 2010, 09:53:08

I think "Never Talk To The Police if you did something wrong" would be a better title.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Thu 28 Jan 2010, 10:29:32

Sure your innocent! Thats what they all say!

http://www.aidwyc.org/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Jotapay » Thu 28 Jan 2010, 11:09:58

ColossalContrarian wrote:I think "Never Talk To The Police if you did something wrong" would be a better title.

You didn't listen to the video, especially the accompanying video by the policeman, did you? Your loss.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Thu 28 Jan 2010, 11:20:49

Jotapay wrote:
ColossalContrarian wrote:I think "Never Talk To The Police if you did something wrong" would be a better title.

You didn't listen to the video, especially the accompanying video by the policeman, did you? Your loss.

Yep- it is chillingly true what the cop said. I will paraphrase a short relevant part of it:

"I try to never bring anyone into the interview room who is innocent"

"Its like you have never been in a fight before and now you are facing an olympic boxer"

If you are in that room and you talk, your chances of going free are slim to none. The law professor said it best- "there is nothing to be gained by talking to the police" again paraphrased.

I would say this will be increasingly true in a post peak world that seems to be slipping into becoming a harder core police state.
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Unread postby MD » Thu 28 Jan 2010, 11:51:55

Jotapay wrote:

I did. It was a very well presented and compelling lecture. As a result I will never submit to an interview request.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Next

Return to North America Discussion