Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

JPM leasing SuperT for HHOil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

JPM leasing SuperT for HHOil

Unread postby Schmuto » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 12:58:47

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601072&sid=aZtS4TC9mxJM

Fascinating.

Along with GS, I consider JPM to be the boys in the know.

If they're willing to undertake the expense of hiring out a new tanker for heating oil storage, they must really be expecting heating oil to move between now and November/December.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: JPM leasing SuperT for HHOil

Unread postby Cochise » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 16:41:04

I am not a stock market expert, BUT, if JPM expect the price of petroleum to dramatically raise, why not invest in oil futures, rather than buying the physical product? It needs to be stored in an expensive tanker, and the personnel in the tanker needs to be payed etc.
Cochise
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Schmuto » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 17:21:11

Cochise wrote:I am not a stock market expert, BUT, if JPM expect the price of petroleum to dramatically raise, why not invest in oil futures, rather than buying the physical product? It needs to be stored in an expensive tanker, and the personnel in the tanker needs to be payed etc.

All I can think of is that:

1. The futures contract for home heating oil is already higher, and so they already know what their profit is if they have the sell end of those contracts.

and/or

2. They expect distillates to increase faster than oil.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SchroedingersCat » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 18:31:25

Futures don't matter if the the party can't deliver. Maybe JPM has some insight into mid-east tensions and where they're headed. Imagine what a few tankers of heating oil would be worth this winter if the oil from the mid-east is cut off.
Civilization is a personal choice.
SchroedingersCat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak Oil Discussion