Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The credit crisis has passed!

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The credit crisis has passed!

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 20:41:26

I have a special announcement to make: The credit crunch is OVER.
I repeat: The credit crisis has passed!
You may return to the mall and shop as you please. Thank you, and have a nice day. :)

LINK
Is the credit crisis over at long last?
As American banks prepare to repay their bailouts, Stephen Foley and Sean O'Grady ask whether the crunch has finally come to an end

Thursday, 4 June 2009 It is time to declare it: the credit crisis is over. The US banking system, epicentre of the chaos, is returning to health; the outlook for the global economy, once seemingly completely black, is brightened by a dawn light.

It is, of course, hardly a consensus yet, but it is the best conclusion to draw from this number: $36bn (£22bn). That is the amount that investors have poured into the weakest of the American banks in the past month, helping to fill the holes which opened up in their balance sheets and crippled their lending activities. Stronger banks such as Goldman Sachs have raised billions more, giving them greater resources to lend into the US economy and abroad.

None of this is to say that recessions on either side of the Atlantic are about to end, that job insecurity and business caution are about to be replaced by a new bullishness, or that banks will suddenly be turning on the credit taps for sub-prime mortgage applicants or consumers who are already up to their card limits. But the first phase of crisis has given way to something more normal.[...]
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Re: You can come out of your doomsteads now. The coast is clear.

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 20:48:00

I'll wait for the next unemployment numbers to see where we are at. If we have another decrease in unemployment additions, then it may appear to be getting better. If not, things could progress quite poorly.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JPL » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 21:04:17

You have got to be out of your mind. On a simple linear basis the Crude price is going to hit $100/barrel by the end of this year and I would guess (crudely- sic) that from that point on there is no force on Earth that will stop it rising further.

We have passed Hubbard's Peak. That's it, basically. You cannot deny the facts. To do otherwise is madness...

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kpeavey » Wed 03 Jun 2009, 22:34:42

Only one way to get me off this doomstead, and your keyboard just don't have what it takes.

I like it here.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JohnDenver » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 07:50:41

JPL wrote:We have passed Hubbard's Peak.

Hubbard's Peak. Oh my god. You mean the end of the world due to depletion of dog bones in the cupboard?
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mwellermd » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 08:03:26

JohnDenver wrote:

Hubbard's Peak. Oh my god. You mean the end of the world due to depletion of dog bones in the cupboard?

Hilarious! So when all the world's oil supply is depleted, the Cubbert will be bear. :-)
mwellermd
Wood
Wood

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 08:03:56

JohnDenver wrote:

"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 09:11:09

An extract from a White Star Line publicity brochure produced in 1910 for the twin ships Olympic and Titanic which states ??these two wonderful vessels are designed to be unsinkable. Some sources state that this wording was used on an advertising flyer while others point to an illustrated brochure. The White Star Line insist that the words used in the publicity brochure (shown right) only point to Titanic's being designed to be unsinkable, not that it was claimed to be unsinkable.

When the New York office of the White Star Line was informed that Titanic was in trouble, White Star Line Vice President P.A.S. Franklin announced " We place absolute confidence in the Titanic. We believe the boat is unsinkable." By the time Franklin spoke those words Titanic was at the bottom of the ocean. It would seem that the White Star Line President was also influenced by the 'myth'.

vision-master

Unread postby eXpat » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 09:25:53

OilFinder2 wrote:I have a special announcement to make: The credit crunch is OVER.

I repeat: The credit crisis has passed!

You may return to the mall and shop as you please.

Thank you, and have a nice day. :)

>>> LINK <<<
Is the credit crisis over at long last?
As American banks prepare to repay their bailouts, Stephen Foley and Sean O'Grady ask whether the crunch has finally come to an end

Thursday, 4 June 2009

It is time to declare it: the credit crisis is over. The US banking system, epicentre of the chaos, is returning to health; the outlook for the global economy, once seemingly completely black, is brightened by a dawn light.

It is, of course, hardly a consensus yet, but it is the best conclusion to draw from this number: $36bn (£22bn). That is the amount that investors have poured into the weakest of the American banks in the past month, helping to fill the holes which opened up in their balance sheets and crippled their lending activities. Stronger banks such as Goldman Sachs have raised billions more, giving them greater resources to lend into the US economy and abroad.

None of this is to say that recessions on either side of the Atlantic are about to end, that job insecurity and business caution are about to be replaced by a new bullishness, or that banks will suddenly be turning on the credit taps for sub-prime mortgage applicants or consumers who are already up to their card limits. But the first phase of crisis has given way to something more normal.

[...]

Somehow i don´t think so...
The Federal Reserve appears to be increasingly nervous about the long term bond market. This is serious. How panicked are they? After leaking a story on Friday, they are back at it on Sunday.

The Federal Reserve leaked to CNBC's Steve Liesman on Friday that they weren't targeting long rates. Why such a leak? Probably because the Fed did not want to appear impotent in controlling the long rate. So they put out the word through Liesman that they weren't targetting the long rate. Can you imagine what would happen to the markets if it sensed long rates were beyond the control of the Fed?

The Fed can of course print money to buy up every Treasury bond in existence, but the inflationary ramifications would be Zimbabwe like, and crush the dollar on international currency markets.
The U.S. Treasury must sell a record net $2 trillion in new debt in 2009 to fund a $1.8 trillion projected fiscal deficit, resulting from falling tax revenues, an economic stimulus package and sundry bank bailouts.
"I'm in wait-and-see mode," said one Fed official who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "We laid out the asset purchase plan and we're following it. That is going to have some affect on various interest rates, but together with a hundred other things. So I don't think we should be chasing a long-term interest rate," the official said. It's the same message as Friday. The Fed does not want to spook the world into thinking that it can't push long term rates down, so it says it is not trying. But if rates continue to climb, a panic out of Treasury securities is a very likely scenario. And Bernanke has only one play to force long rates back down, buy every long bond in sight, which of course is highly inflationary and puts upward pressure on rates. How's that for a dilemma?

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=13826
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 12:04:04

eXpat, the reason why long-term bond yields have been rising is because the economy is starting to recover, and investors have decided there are better places to put their money than Treasuries. And one reason the economy is starting to recover is because credit markets have loosened up. Read the article I posted.

In other words, what you thought was bad news actually confirms my original post.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Quinny » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 12:07:33

I hope you are right!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JPL » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 19:42:06

Quinny wrote:I hope you are right!

From the point of view of anyone with no knowledge of (or interest in) mathematics, physics, geology or ecology, yes they are. Fair enough. Enjoy your future, guys...

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 21:44:47

You're slipping. Didn't you forget economics and politics? :roll:
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 10 Jun 2009, 00:29:59

JohnDenver wrote:

You? Thought you were officially "burned out," presumably from drinking billions of barrels of Kool Aid.

Here Comes The Option ARM Explosion

These are the ultimate in 'exploding mortgages.' The number of these recasts is relatively small right now -- at about $1 billion per month -- but that number is set to grow dramatically over the next few years, exceeding $8 billion per month in the fall of 2011. If the equity in your house is gone and your monthly mortgage payment suddenly jumps from $2000 per month to over $3000 per month, what do you think is going to happen? How about if one or both of the people in the household has been laid off?

This is going to be a huge problem, particularly for Wells Fargo (WFC). The biggest writer of these abominations of housing finance vehicles was Golden West, which was bought by Wachovia, which was then absorbed into WFC. Unlike sub-prime mortgages, these were for the most part targeted at more upscale homeowners. The next wave of foreclosures will be in gated communities, not on the 'wrong side of the tracks.'

Commercial Loans to Bear Brunt of Future US Bank Losses

“Since US banks hold about half of US-originated debt, the US banking and securities industry will incur about $750 billion to $1 trillion of the remaining $1.5 trillion to $2 trillion of projected losses on this debt, which includes residential mortgages, commercial mortgages, credit card losses, and high-yield/leveraged debt, McKinsey says. These numbers are in the same range as those of the US government, which calculated a $600 billion high-end estimate of credit losses for the 19 largest institutions.” Since the middle of 2007, the US banking and securities industry has absorbed some $490 billion of losses, or $80 billion per quarter.

If the industry incurs additional losses of $1 trillion in 2009 and 2010, the losses will be about $125 billion a quarter … these losses will be concentrated in commercial-banking loans. Importantly, many of these losses will be concentrated in the banks that the stress tests revealed to be undercapitalized, McKinsey says. The five most undercapitalized major banks under the stress tests were Bank of America Corp., Wells Fargo & Co., GMAC LLC, Citigroup Inc. and Morgan Stanley.

Blah blah blah

May 12: Was It a Sucker's Rally ? - WSJ.com

A rising market means that banks are able to raise much-needed equity from private money funds instead of from the feds. And last Thursday, accompanying this flood of new money, came the reassuring results of the bank stress tests.

The next day Morgan Stanley raised $4 billion by selling stock at $24 in an oversubscribed deal. Wells Fargo also raised $8.6 billion that day by selling stock at $22 a share, up from $8 two months ago. And Bank of America registered 1.25 billion shares to sell this week. Citi is next. It's almost as if someone engineered a stock-market rally to entice private investors to fund the banks rather than taxpayers.

Can you see why I believe this is a sucker's rally?

The stock market still has big hurdles to clear. You can have a jobless recovery, but you can't have a profitless recovery. Consider: Earnings are subpar, Treasury's last auction was a bust because of weak demand, the dollar is suspect, the stimulus is pork, the latest budget projects a $1.84 trillion deficit, the administration is berating investment firms and hedge funds saying "I don't stand with them," California is dead broke, health care may be nationalized, cap and trade will bump electric bills by 30% . . . Shall I go on?

Of course that's just the US.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance