Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Brass One's ? - Gov. Tim Pawlenty

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Brass One's ? - Gov. Tim Pawlenty

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Fri 05 Jun 2009, 21:14:12

A GOP Politician grows a pair !

The DFL wasn't listening. As the clock wound down (the session ended at midnight this past Monday), the legislature sent Mr. Pawlenty one large spending bill after another. The assumption was he'd veto them, be forced to call a special session, and then be negotiated into tax hikes. That's when the governor got Minnesota nice.

Upon receiving the last spending bill, he announced that he would exercise the power of "unallotment," which has been on the books since 1939 and which has been used four times. Under it, the governor is allowed to "unallot" (take away) any state spending for which there is no money to pay. Panicked, the DFL passed tax legislation to cover its blowout spending bills, 10 minutes before the session's end. Too late. The governor said he'd veto the bill and would not be calling back the legislature to do any more mischief.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124295250785545573.html
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Brass One's ? - Gov. Tim Pawlenty

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Fri 05 Jun 2009, 21:20:42

He is not running for re-election in the state and he will not have to deal with the consequences. He is merely acting in his perceived best interest for his next political goal. The Republican presidential nomination for 2012.

It is pandering... just pandering to you.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 05 Jun 2009, 23:17:57

Pandering in politics is promising something to the voters that is either unobtainable, or saying something that you don't believe, just to get elected---

Pawlenty did neither. He actually did something----he balanced the state budget as is his duty under the state constitution and he did it by cutting spending.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby frankthetank » Fri 05 Jun 2009, 23:28:03

I liked the previous governor a lot better... Being 5 minutes from MN, we hear very little about MN politics... Not discussed much in our local news. Our governor is a bonehead...
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby idiom » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 02:39:24

Its a bad sign when balancing the budget is considered pandering.
The world ends without a tragedy,Time is melting into history
The sky is falling, Voices crying out in desperation
Hear them calling, Everybody, save yourself
idiom
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby beamofthewave » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 04:06:48

I agree, it is just pandering, trying to do something to make himself look good so that he can win the 2012 nomination, not that any Repub has a chance, everyone has seen what self serving, greedy losers they are who will take a country into a war just so they can try and steal some oil. No wonder N. Korea wants nukes, we dont attack other countries that have nukes, no wonder Iran wants them too. Well, we should be living like other very poor people in resource poor countries very soon as a result of 30 years of Greedy bankers controlling the country.
beamofthewave
Peat
Peat

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 08:08:43

idiom wrote:Its a bad sign when balancing the budget is considered pandering.

It is how you balance the budget. If you do it in a way so it will appeal to a national audience without regard as to how it will affect the state (because you never have to run there again), yes it is pandering.

When you do it for the good of the state without regard to how it will look to Rush Limbaugh and the national party then it is courage.
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 09:02:20

Ah, so if he balanced the budget by taxing the crap out of people working, and continuing a great nanny state, that would NOT be pandering? Sorry your logic fails.
He made an unpopular decision with most of his constitutients being unhappy, he is working to live within the means of his state, radical ideas to some but a hard neccessity. Wether it be peak oil or economic downturn, welcome to reality
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mattduke » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 09:12:08

wisconsin_cur wrote:
idiom wrote:Its a bad sign when balancing the budget is considered pandering.

It is how you balance the budget. If you do it in a way so it will appeal to a national audience without regard as to how it will affect the state (because you never have to run there again), yes it is pandering.

When you do it for the good of the state without regard to how it will look to Rush Limbaugh and the national party then it is courage.

The legislators could have done it themselves. Then they would have had their choice regarding what to cut. As it stands, they are all criminals for conspiring to violate the Wisconsin constitution.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 09:38:08

If that's pandering, then we need more politicians to pander in that way. Spending less and taxing less is never gonna bring complaints from me.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 09:53:52

smallpoxgirl wrote:If that's pandering, then we need more politicians to pander in that way. Spending less and taxing less is never gonna bring complaints from me.

What was cut?
vision-master

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 10:54:30

We do not know for sure yet... just judging one what he has said and done so far.

St. Paul, Minn. — When state officials talk about cutting the health and human services budget, they're talking about Tim Benjamin. Benjamin is a quadriplegic who said a personal care attendant, or PCA, watches him 24 hours a day.

"They shower me. They do my bowel program. They do my range of motion. They dress me. They put me to bed at night," Benjamin said.

Benjamin, of St. Paul, said his PCA also helps him get to work and assists with other daily functions. Before the legislative session ended last month, Gov. Pawlenty signed a Health and Human Services budget bill that will cut funding for personal care attendants. Estimates say as many as 1,600 disabled people will lose PCA services altogether. Another 7,000 people, like Tim Benjamin, could lose hours.

"Two hours doesn't sound like much for many people, but for me, I have respiratory problems," he said. "Without two hours of care, I can drown in my own secretions."

When asked this week about his plans for what's called unallotment, Pawlenty said he's considering a menu of options that includes cuts to higher education, local governments and health and human services programs. He said every program has to do more with less in tough budget times.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/06/03/unallottement_targets/

No tax increases though, that is off the table. As a moderate I like to think that a good answer is both a cut to some services and an increase in taxes to a level that we have had in the past. If you are only about raising taxes or only about cutting services, I am suspect.

and this is not how the power has been used in the past,

"This kind of use of unallotment is unprecedented," Massa said. "It's mostly used after the fact. To use this prospectively as a budget balancing technique, it seems unusual. We certainly want to assure our members that we're looking at all options and whether the governor has the ability to do this."

» Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) in Minneapolis will lay off 100 staffers.

» Park Nicollet Health Services lays off 240 and closes a clinic in Hopkins. The owner of Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park has already laid off more than twice that number over the last six months.

» Willmar’s Rice Memorial Hospital continues to shed staff. Layoffs have left the city-owned hospital with its smallest workforce in a decade.

» In rural areas of the state, doctors are scarce. Health care organizations must dangle bonuses to attract debt-laden med school grads to the hinterlands.

» Losing patients, North Memorial Health Care is cutting 100 jobs. A 6-percent decline in stays at the Robbinsdale hospital hides one area in which business is up by 22 percent: charity care.

» Two metro hospitals that care for the poor — Regions in St. Paul and HCMC in Minneapolis — will make deep cuts. HCMC Medical Director Michael Belzer says revisiting state cuts during the 2010 Legislative session will be too late, as hospitals will have set budgets and take actions necessary to meet them by then.

http://minnesotaindependent.com/35132/pawlentys-health-care-cuts-come-amid-hellish-week-for-hospitals
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 10:58:01

smallpoxgirl wrote:If that's pandering, then we need more politicians to pander in that way. Spending less and taxing less is never gonna bring complaints from me.

If he were my gov., I would hope that he would govern in such a way as reflected the wishes of the people of Minnesota not the national party. As it is he is governing Minnesota in such a way as to get good press from the right wing of the Republican party and to heck with the consequences for Minnesota.
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 11:25:27

Boo hoo. Fix the health care system, no lawsuits, limited formulary, ta da, fixed, but the tort lawyers pay off the left.
Boo hoo, person I know on Personal Care services, when asked why, " I can't get my house cleaned up before I go out with my buddies"
Boo hoo, THERE IS NO MONEY,it's called reality.

An economic downturn is tough on everyone, but the best part, watching the left squirm facing reality.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 12:02:52

wisconsin_cur wrote:
It is pandering...

No, Pandering is what "The One" sold you, and your ilk bought....... "hook, line and sinker." Hope, Change etc. etc. etc. (Which is not a plan) has balloned the deficits to unimaginable sizes as Obama "panders" to his special interest groups.

We will see if Pawlenty follows through and cuts the State's bureacracy as is required. I have my doubts, but time will tell.

Oh and BTW,........................ it won't be popular and it will be painful, but it is the reality.
Last edited by AlexdeLarge on Sat 06 Jun 2009, 12:04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 12:03:11

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Gov. Tim Pawlenty capped a personally momentous week with a politically enterprising trip to Washington on Friday, squeezing in at least three speeches and a couple of interviews about his future plans.

Pawlenty's visit came four days after he announced he would forgo a run for a third term as Minnesota governor. It stoked suspicion that he'll pursue the presidency — an option he wouldn't rule out.

He made full use of his time in the nation's capital.

Pawlenty began with a breakfast speech to the Ripon Society, a group that promotes "traditional common-sense Republican principles." He spent lunch as a special guest of the Republican National Lawyers Association. He was to be a keynote dinner speaker at a convention of the College Republican National Committee on Friday night.

As opposed to the pol that isn't beholden to some special interest? Oh he is so righteous and brave with big brass...

/sarcasim

I love how you are buying into his opportunism. Keep on licking it up and he will keep on feeding it to you.

It is called changing the collection agency. "Taxes are cut" but "fees" increase.

The reaction of skeptics, including some at the Taxpayers League, was that Pawlenty had reneged on his campaign promise, arguing that the proposal was simply a tax increase by another name.

:roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Pawlenty
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 12:05:31

wisconsin_cur wrote:I would hope that he would govern in such a way as reflected the wishes of the people of Minnesota not the national party.

Hey. If y'all don't want him, I'm happy voting him for governor of Washington. We've had years of the government spending with reckless abandon assuming property prices would continue to climb forever. Now that they've stopped rising, of course, no one wants to chop all the pork that they've added in the last ten years. They're all crying and swooning about record deficits and how we just have to have an income tax or there will be homeless cripples starving everywhere in the streets.

The truth is that 90% of what governments spend money on is fluff. Any time there's a cut, they're going to trot out the token clipple and whine and cry about how we're being so cruel to him, but lets get real. There is a lot of fluff in the state budgets.

And heathcare is a whole other topic. The truth is that if healthcare spending was cut by 75% our health would probably improve. Most healthcare money gets spent on stuff that's of pretty dubious benefit.
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 12:07:04

AlexdeLarge wrote:
Oh and BTW,........................ it won't be popular and it will be painful, but it is the reality.

It will be popular and it will not be painful to the republican party nomination voters who do not live here. That is the whole point.

They will all say, "My what nice brass one's he has!"
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 12:11:45

smallpoxgirl wrote:
And heathcare is a whole other topic. The truth is that if healthcare spending was cut by 75% our health would probably improve. Most healthcare money gets spent on stuff that's of pretty dubious benefit.

But what will get cut is what is "someone else's problem" or that part of health care that does not make money.

Mental health services is a money looser, it will get cut.

There are a lot of rich white men who donate money to fund heart hospitals, they will stay open.

A big ICU and trauma center gives a hospital bragging rights, they will stay open.

Outpatient services to keep people out of the hospital in the first place (marginal if profitable at all) will get cut.

Lets remember SPG, you and I will not be making the cuts in healthcare. MBA's who care about the bottom line will.
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 06 Jun 2009, 12:29:27

wisconsin_cur wrote:Lets remember SPG, you and I will not be making the cuts in healthcare. MBA's who care about the bottom line will.

Agreed, but the problem is not a lack of money, it's inefficient use of the money. That's always going to be a problem no matter how much money you throw at it. I really just don't believe that there's some magical threshold where they've exhausted all the possible ways to waste money so they start spending it on useful things. I think you just have to realize that most money given to governments is squandered and it always will be. The only solution is to give them an allowance and make them live within it.
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Economics & Finance