Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is your company offering unpaid leave / mini sabbatical?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Is your company offering unpaid leave / mini sabbatical?

Unread postby Prince » Mon 08 Jun 2009, 19:03:00

I've read that some companies out there are offering unpaid leave for at little as a month and as long as a year where employees can take time off without using vacation time and still have a job when they come back.

My company is offering this for the summer (maximum of 30 days off unpaid), and we can still keep any vacation days that we haven't taken so that they can be used later in the year. I'm really thinking about doing it, since I don't really need the money and could use a month off to get me caught up on some personal projects I've postponed for many years now. Of course, there is a risk that after a month I'll no longer have a job, but the company is looking for takers. The company argues that it will allow them to weather the economic storm a bit longer without forcing people into temporary layoff and it will also give the takers out there some time to do traveling, personal enrichment, or simply take time away from work.

Has anyone else out there been offered similar opportunities from their employer?
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Is your company offering unpaid leave / mini sabbatical?

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Mon 08 Jun 2009, 20:32:40

My boss is talking about changing our work week to 4 days a week. I told her I totally wouldn't mind. Hell, I wouldn't mind three days a week. I have lots of plans for this summer and could really use the time, work has gotten REALLY slow.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Mon 08 Jun 2009, 21:03:22

My works gotten really slow too but I need the money. I could only cut about 16-24 hours a bi monthly pay period. Anymore and I'd get worried...
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nefarious » Mon 08 Jun 2009, 21:08:15

I WISH !!
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 08 Jun 2009, 21:09:04

Prince wrote:I've read that some companies out there are offering unpaid leave for at little as a month and as long as a year where employees can take time off without using vacation time and still have a job when they come back.

My company is offering this for the summer (maximum of 30 days off unpaid), and we can still keep any vacation days that we haven't taken so that they can be used later in the year. I'm really thinking about doing it, since I don't really need the money and could use a month off to get me caught up on some personal projects I've postponed for many years now. Of course, there is a risk that after a month I'll no longer have a job, but the company is looking for takers. The company argues that it will allow them to weather the economic storm a bit longer without forcing people into temporary layoff and it will also give the takers out there some time to do traveling, personal enrichment, or simply take time away from work.

Has anyone else out there been offered similar opportunities from their employer?

I've never been in that particular situation.. BUT my general advice would be that being absent from the office politics rat race for 30 days may not be a good idea. They could get used to not seeing you around, and then when layoffs happen tag you're it.

But if you're confident that being gone wouldn't risk your job and don't need the money, then I guess it's a no-brainer -- take the time off, enjoy.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Thralen » Mon 08 Jun 2009, 21:22:14

I run my own business so no... But my wife works for Avaya (member of the CWA - communications workers of america union). Part of the settlement they just made in contract negotiations (finished last week I think) included a voluntary one week no-pay leave. Not the longer terms that you were referring to but I thought the fact that the contract included that was a telling statement. It is something I wouldn't have seen either union or company agreeing to before. Employees who take it still get all their normal vacation, sick days, etc... Note, as a few others mentioned it is voluntary but still...

Thralen
Thralen
Peat
Peat

Unread postby retiredguy » Mon 08 Jun 2009, 22:43:35

My former employer, the state of Wisconsin, is requiring all of its workers to take 16 days of unpaid leave over the next two years. Yes, that includes the head football coach at the UW.

The state is in real financial trouble.
retiredguy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Roy » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 06:39:49

My company forced all salaried employees to take two vacation days last month, and all hourly to take two days without pay.

This month, I have been told to take two more vacation days. We will shut down for the last week in June, all hourly employees will get a vacation without pay and salaried employees will report during the shut down.

After this month I have 1 vacation day left out of the 10 I receive as part of my benefit package. Any further mandatory vacation days in my case will be days without pay.

So not really. Not that I could afford to voluntarily forgo my salary right now anyway. I'm trying to save every extra penny I can and reduce my monthly expenses to prepare for my eventual unemployment.

It's not a question of if, but when. Then I will get a sabbatical. Probably a longer one that I can afford though.

:)
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby z28colt » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 09:03:05

I had a son in March and I was able to take 1 month of FMLA. No pay, but I kept my vacation time.

I highly recommend it if you are financially in a position to be able to easily. I was able to enjoy time with the family and get alot of things done around the house.

It is very hard going back to work though. I have a desk job, and while I was on FMLA, I didn't sit at all during the day, and I spent most of my time outside, the way God intended for us to live. Going back to the cave life is hard.
z28colt
Wood
Wood

Unread postby retiredguy » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 10:35:35

I hear ya, z. I rode a desk for over thirty years and hated most of it.

It's not a natural way to live. I'm firmly convinced that one purpose of school is to raise one's tolerance for sitting in one place eight hours a day.
retiredguy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jdmartin » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 10:38:49

retiredguy wrote:I hear ya, z. I rode a desk for over thirty years and hated most of it.

It's not a natural way to live. I'm firmly convinced that one purpose of school is to raise one's tolerance for sitting in one place eight hours a day.

Never thought of it that way but I think you're right retiredguy..it sure is nice to get out from behind the desk!
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 11:14:45

Our company asked everyone to eliminate 8-15 days of vacation before June 30 to get that liability off the books. At least it is paid but ouch!! I was really saving my vacation as a buffer just in case I was laid off. Two extra paychecks would be nice to have if that happened. Oh well.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 13:03:41

Nothing here. We run a real high maintenance facility though than runs 24 hours a day.

I would love a 4 day work week. I'd be the happiest man on the planet.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 13:18:42

Yes- my former employer mandated a 3 week furlough and then laid off about 10% of the operation a month later. Its very common around here
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Unread postby MD » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 13:28:18

Sixstrings wrote:
I've never been in that particular situation.. BUT my general advice would be that being absent from the office politics rat race for 30 days may not be a good idea. They could get used to not seeing you around, and then when layoffs happen tag you're it..

On the other hand if you're in that sort of political culture you might find that after thirty days of peace you may be unable to return!

...and that could be a very good thing!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby FoolYap » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 22:09:38

Sixstrings wrote:BUT my general advice would be that being absent from the office politics rat race for 30 days may not be a good idea. They could get used to not seeing you around, and then when layoffs happen tag you're it.

My employer is offering us the ability to take up to an extra 20 (I think) days off this summer, and get paid 30% of our normal pay for those days.

I don't think any of us will take it. The place has been laying off regularly, with the jobs being sent overseas. The work remains the same, and just piles up deeper on those who remain, beause the overseas teams just don't ramp up like they're supposed to.

While it's possible that they're "merely" doing this to try to shave some costs in the short-term (i.e., all their "record revenue" announcements may be smoke & mirrors), most of us assume that at least one of two things will happen if we partake:

1. The fact that we think we can slack off when there's so much to do, means we're not "committed", and therefore should be whacked in the next layoffs for insufficient enthusiasm for The Cause.

2. We won't be whacked, but the amount of work will have piled up even deeper in our absence, requiring lots of free overtime (salaried) to try to catch up because of course the schedules never change to reflect realities like this.

--Steve
FoolYap
Coal
Coal

Return to Economics & Finance