Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gadget Charger Harvests Wireless Power

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Gadget Charger Harvests Wireless Power

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 10:19:35

http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/22764/

A cell phone that never needs recharging might sound too good to be true, but Nokia claims that it's developing a prototype device that draws enough power from ambient radio waves to keep a cell-phone handset topped up in standby mode.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Gadget Charger Harvests Wireless Power

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 09 Jun 2009, 11:23:15

Its like a low power microwave that is constantly on. People wonder why cancer, MS, etc diseases are so prevalent.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Oilman21 » Wed 10 Jun 2009, 13:35:18

That is amazing.. I have never heard of anything like that! Do you know how far along Nokia is in developing that technology? Is there a prototype? Or is the reality of this technology still pretty far down the road?
Oilman21
Wood
Wood

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 10 Jun 2009, 15:08:16

Nokia is being cagey with the details of the project, but Rouvala is confident about its future: "I would say it is possible to put this into a product within three to four years."

Wonder what the effect on RF would be from a whole city using these things in tandem. Or the net savings from all those chargers gathering dust. Inneresting, Straight Outta Tesla.

Don't think the RF would be an issue for the brain, p. Those waves are already here, presumably having done their damage already, if there's any risk in the first place. From what I've observed avid users of cellphones are suffering notable mental deficiencies from other sources. Image
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dbuckley » Wed 10 Jun 2009, 21:52:54

You guys are misunderstanding.

What this thing is doing is absorbing RF radiation that already exists all around us from transmitters of many sorts; it doesn't generate any radiation.

Back in WW2 the Germans had propoganda radio stations which had large MW transmitters aimed at the UK and France and a few other places, and they discovered they had some strange gaps in their coverage. On investigation this was found to be people stealing power by errecting resonant antennas and using this captured power to illuminate their barns and the like. Needless to say, the SS took a dim (ugh! bad pun) view of this.

So the same problem will occur with these Nokia things; if they are absorbing RF radiation then they are reducing the range of a radio signal. Do you want your WiFi range limited by your phone nicking its RF power...?

On the other hand they can hardly claim it to be innovative and/or patentable given the idea is decades old :)
dbuckley
Peat
Peat

Return to Energy Technology