Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

U.S. drug czar calls for end to "war on drugs"

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

U.S. drug czar calls for end to "war on drugs"

Unread postby Maddog78 » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 10:32:59

I never thought I'd live to see the day that I'd read a headline like this.
It's been a long time since I've personally been around any recreational drugs but I always thought this "war" was a ridiculous and costly thing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtUSInvestingNews/idUSTRE55750K20090608?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration's top drug cop plans to spend more money on treating addiction and scale down the "war on drugs" rhetoric as part of an overhaul of U.S. counternarcotics strategy.

But don't expect the White House to consider legalizing marijuana, drug czar Gil Kerlikowske said on Friday.

"The discussion about legalization is not a part of the president's vocabulary under any circumstances and it's not a part of mine," Kerlikowske said in a telephone interview.

As head of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, Kerlikowske coordinates the efforts of 32 government agencies to limit illicit drug use.

He has been in office less than a month, but the Obama administration has already taken a less confrontational approach to the nation's 35 million illegal drug users.

The FBI is no longer raiding state-approved facilities that distribute marijuana for medical purposes, and the White House has told Congress to eliminate the sentencing disparity between powder and crack cocaine.

Kerlikowske said he hopes to ditch the chest-thumping military rhetoric at the center of U.S. policy since President Nixon first declared a "war on drugs" 40 years ago.

"We should stop using the metaphor about the war on drugs," said Kerlikowske, a career police officer who headed the Justice Department's community-policing initiative under President Clinton. "People look at it as a war on them, and frankly we're not at war with the people of this country."

snip............................
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: U.S. drug czar calls for end to "war on drugs"

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 10:37:59

Doesn't mean much. They've said that they wouldn't raid marijuana clubs a while ago. But they've continued their marijuana raids.

scale down the "war on drugs" rhetoric

So now instead of "war on drugs" it will be something else. Policy won't really change that much. Just the rhetoric. Just like how we don't call it the war on terror but worldwide contingency plan or something like that. But they will ramp up the war in Afghanistan at the same time

Rhetoric does not equal policy.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby zoidberg » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 10:43:17

lol, bigger fish to fry I think at the moment.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ian807 » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 11:14:38

The political purpose of the "war on drugs" was to have an easily available law to jail minorities and dissidents.

It proved to be too costly and unpopular, however, there will be new laws, aimed at whatever group the government feels to be a threat.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pablonite » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 21:34:05

Maddog78 wrote:I never thought I'd live to see the day that I'd read a headline like this.

Yeah, it's meaningless doubletalk. Their building more prisons now than at any other time in history.
Like, 32 different government agencies to limit illicit drug use? Wake up man, it's already a police state :lol:
ian807 wrote:The political purpose of the "war on drugs" was to have an easily available law to jail minorities and dissidents.

Uh, you forgot to mention the prison industrial complex and America being the world leader in incareration has huge investments in the plantation. The War on fill in the blank is most definitely a war on you in one way or another :)
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Maddog78 » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 21:42:53

Just so happens the History Channel had a show on tonight about the history of the war on drugs.
They explained how Nixon kicked it off due to the anti-war protests at the time.
Demostrating and speaking against the gov't wasn't illegal but rec. drugs were.
They showed a document from H. Hoover to Nixon explaining to him how they could use drug laws to arrest the people demonstrating against Nixon.

ian807 wrote:The political purpose of the "war on drugs" was to have an easily available law to jail minorities and dissidents.

It proved to be too costly and unpopular, however, there will be new laws, aimed at whatever group the government feels to be a threat.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 09:01:48

Ha, what a laugh this thread title has become.
Looks like Big Pharma has got to him.
So much for hope and change. Steady as she goes, Drug Warrior policy as usual.

Who was it on here that lives in the Pot triangle?
I can't remember if it was pstarr or not.
Anyway, better watch out the Feds are coming to getcha. :twisted:

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1553061.html

Drug czar: Feds won't support legalized pot
Published online on Wednesday, Jul. 22, 2009
By Marc Benjamin / The Fresno Bee

•Agents seize $1.2 billion worth of pot in Calif.
Agents seize $1.2 billion worth of pot in Calif.
Federal and state agents have arrested 83 people for growing more than $1.2 billion worth of marijuana in an ongoing crackdown on illegal pot gardens in California's Sierra Nevada range.

Local officials said several Mexican marijuana-growing cartels helped set up the grow sites scattered throughout rocky mountainsides of eastern Fresno County, and warned more arrests were likely as the sweep continues.

More than 318,000 marijuana plants were destroyed in the operation, which also netted nearly $41,000 in cash, 25 weapons and two vehicles, Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said Thursday.

Federal and state agents have arrested 83 people for growing more than $1.2 billion worth of marijuana in an ongoing crackdown on illegal pot gardens in California's Sierra Nevada range.

Local officials said several Mexican marijuana-growing cartels helped set up the grow sites scattered throughout rocky mountainsides of eastern Fresno County, and warned more arrests were likely as the sweep continues.

More than 318,000 marijuana plants were destroyed in the operation, which also netted nearly $41,000 in cash, 25 weapons and two vehicles, Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said Thursday.

Federal and state agents have arrested 82 people for growing more than $1.2 billion worth of marijuana in California's Sierra Nevada range.

Gil Kerlikowske, who directs the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy, says agents have destroyed more than 314,000 marijuana plants at 70 different grow sites over 10 days. He warns that more arrests are pending.

Kerlikowske was in Fresno County Wednesday to express his support for the sweep, which has netted $41,000 in cash, 26 firearms and three vehicles.

•Illegal marijuana farms scar Sierra landscape
Illegal marijuana farms scar Sierra landscape
State law now allows marijuana with a prescription, and new legislation would make it legal for all adults, raising $1.4 billion in new taxes. But law enforcement officials say one thing hasn't changed: pot farms still illegally use -- and often scar -- California's forests.

As part of a massive sweep, more than 300 agents from 17 agencies have spent the past 10 days hiking through and flying over Fresno County's secluded forests to destroy tens of thousands of plants worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Authorities arrested dozens of people and seized dozens of weapons, Fresno County sheriff's deputy Chris Curtice said.

•California sprouts 'green rush' from marijuana
California sprouts 'green rush' from marijuana
A drug deal plays out, California-style: A conservatively dressed courier drives a company-leased Smart Car to an apartment on a weekday afternoon. Erick Alvaro hands over a white paper bag to his 58-year-old customer, who inspects the bag to ensure everything he ordered over the phone is there.

An eighth-ounce of organic marijuana buds for treating his seasonal allergies? Check. An eighth of a different pot strain for insomnia? Check. THC-infused lozenges and tea bags? Check and check, with a free herb-laced cookie thrown in as a thank-you gift.

It's a $102 credit card transaction carried out with the practiced efficiency of a home-delivered pizza - and with just about as much legal scrutiny.
The federal government is not going to pull back on its efforts to curtail marijuana farming operations, Gil Kerlikowske, director of the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy, said Wednesday in Fresno.

The nation's drug czar, who viewed a foothill marijuana farm on U.S. Forest Service land with state and local officials earlier Wednesday, said the federal government will not support legalizing marijuana.

"Legalization is not in the president's vocabulary, and it's not in mine," he said.

Kerlikowske said he can understand why legislators are talking about taxing marijuana cultivation to help cash-strapped government agencies in California. But the federal government views marijuana as a harmful and addictive drug, he said.

"Marijuana is dangerous and has no medicinal benefit," Kerlikowske said in downtown Fresno while discussing Operation SOS -- Save Our Sierra -- a multiagency effort to eradicate marijuana in eastern Fresno County.

snip............

Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Roy » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 13:32:25

Marijuana is dangerous and has no medicinal benefit,

That is his opinion. Describing MJ as a dangerous drug always makes me chuckle.

I guess this is some more change we can believe in eh?
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 14:13:07

Dude !!! Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to North America Discussion