Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CNN's Cafferty Talks Peak Oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

CNN's Cafferty Talks Peak Oil

Unread postby flapjax » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 19:33:42

It was nice to hear the MSM bring this up for a change.

June 11, 2009
How will your life change if oil reaches $250 a barrel?
FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

Experts predict the price of oil could soon hit $250 a barrel. Already, a barrel of crude is trading at almost $73 dollars — which is up from the lows of $30 a barrel only four months ago.

Prices are going up for lots of reasons; the big one is a new report that shows the world’s proven crude reserves have fallen for the first time in 10 years. Demand for oil has gone up for the first time in 10 months; and as the global recession begins to wane, demand for energy is only expected to increase. Plus, it’s the start of the summer driving season.

The question to the general public: what would you do if oil hits $250 a berrel?

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2009/ ... #more-6444

Consistant $250 oil IMO is not sustainable. Dieoff would ensue.
flapjax
Lignite
Lignite

Re: CNN's Cafferty Talks Peak Oil

Unread postby Schmuto » Thu 11 Jun 2009, 21:37:59

flapjax wrote:Consistant $250 oil IMO is not sustainable. Dieoff would ensue.

No doubt at all.

Oil at 150 was about to end common-man airplane travel.

I'd guess that above 200 is the end of the modern economy.
Above 300 is social unrest in heretofore unseen proportions.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 12 Jun 2009, 01:20:42

flapjax wrote:what would you do if oil hits $250 a barrel?

Hmm.......I expect I'll still be waiting for the Congress to authorize funds to build nukes, high speed intercity electric trains and light electric rail in urban centers because the money is all being committed to shovel-ready road maintainance projects and to keep GM and Chrysler afloat. :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby HeckuvaJob » Fri 12 Jun 2009, 01:28:40

When do uncommon men stop flying?
HeckuvaJob
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 12 Jun 2009, 05:09:57

flapjax wrote:It was nice to hear the MSM bring this up for a change.

June 11, 2009

Experts predict the price of oil could soon hit $250 a barrel. Already, a barrel of crude is trading at almost $73 dollars — which is up from the lows of $30 a barrel only four months ago.

Prices are going up for lots of reasons; the big one is a new report that shows the world’s proven crude reserves have fallen for the first time in 10 years. Demand for oil has gone up for the first time in 10 months; and as the global recession begins to wane, demand for energy is only expected to increase. Plus, it’s the start of the summer driving season.

The question to the general public: what would you do if oil hits $250 a berrel?

This $250 projection is being thrown out there a lot all of the sudden. If nothing else, brace for a ramp-up by the speculators.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Timo » Fri 12 Jun 2009, 10:41:42

$250/bl does seem to be tossed out there to the public a lot in recent days. My guess is (and it's only a guess) that there are things happening that the media knows but will not talk about. $250 is being tossed out now to prepare people. If it never reaches that level, we'll all feel good that things never got as bad as predicted. If it does reach $250, then hopefully people were given adequate warning and time to prepare for the worst. This is all about managing the descent, not preventing or reverseing the descent. A lot of what we see is scripted in order to prepare ourselves for hard times coming.
Timo

Unread postby Revi » Fri 12 Jun 2009, 12:40:12

How much would you be willing to pay to go 20 miles? We're talking about yourself, 4 friends all sitting on comfy chairs along with 500 pounds of gear moved to exactly where you want it at 60 mph?

I think even if it hits $10 a gallon that's still an incredible bargain.

$250 a barrel is cheap.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby nobodypanic » Fri 12 Jun 2009, 13:40:42

Sixstrings wrote:
flapjax wrote:It was nice to hear the MSM bring this up for a change.

June 11, 2009

This $250 projection is being thrown out there a lot all of the sudden. If nothing else, brace for a ramp-up by the speculators.

the speculation ramp up has already begun.

i can't imagine it'll go to $250. i think we'll fall off a cliff before then (taking demand w/us).
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 12 Jun 2009, 16:17:38

I wonder if $250 is the price America needs it to go to so that foreign inflows of investment, to get dollars, will begin to pay some of the cost of righting America's economy? Food for thought, huh.

My feeling is that it won't have to go near $250 for enough demand to be reached for dollars. I think that in part because I agree that the wheels will come off domestically before $250. I also think that many of the oil producing countries will hyper-inflate before $250 as well, along with the poorest countries in the world that will not be able to afford oil without inflating.
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion