Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cheer Up It's Only Going To Get Worse

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Cheer Up It's Only Going To Get Worse

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 16:00:08

DOooooooM Delicious DOoooooooOOM. Another Great unraveling, by Savinar and others of that ilk. http://www.bohemian.com/bohemian/06.17.09/feature-0924.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Cheer Up It's Only Going To Get Worse

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 16:06:35

mos6507

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 16:13:11

Thats funny Mos. How did you get a picture of me, spraying you down? Looks like you like it tho, your little paws are raised in thanks....
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby biofuel13 » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 16:15:45

linky broken?
"With man gone will there be hope for gorilla? With gorilla gone will there be hope for man?" --Ishmael by D. Quinn
biofuel13
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 16:35:23

Some good ideas there, like the nut trees. (does that make his doomstead a nut farm? ;) )

On the one hand, the transition ideas, growing your food on your lawn, it all sounds plausable. But on the other hand, why isn't this self-suffiency achieved in resource-poor countries now? I keep thinking about places like North Korea, where good land goes untilled. And Haiti, with the bounty of Carribean fishing all around them, and a paradise climate -- and yet the people starve, and eat mud cakes.

I have to wonder if doomsteads are even possible in the midst of chaos. Sure, you may have the land and the nut trees and a nice farm -- but is that really sustainable, while in the midst of political chaos, violence, and Dark Ages?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 16:37:45

Sixstrings wrote:...but is that really sustainable, while in the midst of political chaos, violence, and Dark Ages?

We're here.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 16:45:31

Savinar advises learning camping skills and marrying into a large family...

<snicker>
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 17:08:43

"[Secretary of Energy Steven Chu] was my boss," Fridley says. "He knows all about peak oil, but he can't talk about it. If the government announced that peak oil was threatening our economy, Wall Street would crash. He just can't say anything about it."

Thus, world leaders would like to have the populace believe that this oil-age feeding frenzy will continue forever, that the economy will continue to expand and grow. At the 2008 G-8 Summit on the Japanese island of Hokkaido, for example, our leaders declared a resolution to resume economic growth. Fridley says such a goal is impossible, yet no one wants to face the fact.

Governments are so pathetic its mindboggling.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 20:13:19

Sixstrings wrote:why isn't this self-suffiency achieved in resource-poor countries now?

Here's your answer.
mos6507

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 19 Jun 2009, 22:05:12

Sorry Mos, for the smart answer to your picture. I have bad eyesight, and I thought it was a dog peeing on a rodent. The jokes on me.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance