Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Schwarzenegger Shredding Social Safety Nets

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Schwarzenegger Shredding Social Safety Nets

Unread postby deMolay » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 16:40:29

The ultimate in Nanny Statism is hitting the wall. The Terminator is fighting back. IOU's not working. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 18KCBS.DTL
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Schwarzenegger Shredding Social Safety Nets

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 16:47:40

I can hear riots in the making. Now what?

Pinging China................
vision-master

Unread postby mattduke » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 16:54:03

I guess that $700 I sent them wasn't enough. I wonder if it helped them as much as it hurt me.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 17:11:00

How long before this turns into a racial clash? The ignorant always look to those different from them in order to place blame. Race is the easiest difference to identify.
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 17:22:49

As California goes, so goes the country. If spending cuts take place and their budget is balanced, the Dems will follow suit in congress. If taxing goes crazy (crazier) in California, expect more taxes. I thought the Fed Gov was going to bail them out, when?
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 17:52:16

Wasn't Arnold installed at the behest of the Enron and W's buddy "Kenny Boy" Skilling to make sure that too many GOP fat cats did not get inconvenienced by the enron prosecutions?
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 18:04:00

An what's yer point? :?:
vision-master

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 18:34:32

Weren't the democrats who control the california state legislature installed at the behest of the unions and welfare recipients and Obama's buddies in the "immigrants rights" and environmental movements to make sure that they all get maximo money from the California state government?

Looks like they've run the state 26 billion into the red and don't know what to do next.....
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 19:38:55

Plant
+1
Glad I live on the other side of the continent. Do we have a bet going when LA starts to burn? Moderators? Perhaps a nostradomus level?
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 19:42:53

What will give first bloated bureaucracies or the bloated dole? As California goes, so goes Florida and a host of other states.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 20:00:00

I'm just saying that it's mighty strange to see california collapsing under a GOP governer and the GOP base does a victory dance. I mean it's weird to see the GOP dancing around the wreckage of the state that gave us Nixon and Reagan, but even weirder to celebrate the utter failure of a GOP governor. Is this another "Mission Accomplished?"

But hey. look at the GOP whooping it up over the most recent bad economic numbers. I guess we whould have imploded the banks and padlocked GM forever, Yeah that would have been better.

I think the GOP is getting a little milage out of this, but outright nihilism is also going to wear thin real fast. They are selling despair, chaos, and hopelessness
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 20:59:34

Sorry guys, I can't see how once you pass into a failed State status how it matters anymore if you are GOP or Dem. The facts are, there is no money to pay for the ENTITLEMENTS and GIMMEES. No matter who allocated the GIMMEES. The Jig is up. THERE IS NO FUNDS TO PAY FOR THE GIMMEES ANYMORE. People will have to do for themselves. No matter if the Gov. gives in the Jig is up eventually the bills will have to be paid.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 21:17:42

Preston
For a little help. The joy is seen in the fact that a huge Democratic state, the extreme of the nanny states, open borders to no end, is getting its comeuppance. Arnold is trying to drive home a fact that the Dems of the state seem not to comprehend, one must live within one's means.
Not despair, fiscal responsibility, its a radical concept,
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sittinguy » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 21:36:59

legalize pot,
It will work Great
Other states will follow.
Problem solved.

But until then I will follow California news with Glee.
Knowing it is a glimps of all of our futures.
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Unread postby deMolay » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 21:58:07

No matter if you rent your home or own your home, you can not live beyond your means or it will end in disaster. California is no exception. There is no FREE LUNCH. Never was never will be. The Nanny State is Hitting the Wall Full Throttle Hair Staight Back. Just like the Darwin Awards examples. The GUBMINT of California and the Voters of California should be Nominated for a State Sized Darwin Award.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 23:07:11

Fishman wrote:Preston
For a little help. The joy is seen in the fact that a huge Democratic state, the extreme of the nanny states, open borders to no end, is getting its comeuppance. Arnold is trying to drive home a fact that the Dems of the state seem not to comprehend, one must live within one's means.

Well enjoy the political wilderness, because you are going to be there a long time until you get past the hooting-monkey-feces-throwing-stage and evolve into something more constructive.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby beamofthewave » Thu 09 Jul 2009, 00:07:54

The nanny state is far from over, F. Scott Fitzgerald stated in circa 1910 "the rich are different from the rest of us, they need the government to survive," and if you think Goldman Sachs is done taking from the US treasury, you are so, so wrong. We have given them 30 trillion and the wealthy are unhappy because of the crumbs that fall from the table to the poor and the sick citizens of our country. 30 TRILLION compared to what? It makes me want to puke, my fellow citizens all happy because the banks got 30 trillion in the past two years. What do you think these ultra rich are going to do for you. George Carlin is right, they do not care for you, you are not a human being to them, you are less than an ant to them. They dont care if you live or die, they dont care if you are stuck on top of your house because of a big storm and surrounded by water, they will watch you are tv as they eat popcorn saying, "I sure hope someone helps him." The money that could have been used to help the citizens, put into emergency management, rebuilding infrastructure is gone, all gone, the very wealthy have it all now and our electrical grid is falling apart across the country and we are going into third worldom quickly and I swear you are not going to like it one bit. Maybe you will get to watch your kid die because there is no longer a safe water supply because the money for that went to the ultra rich banks, I lived in a third world country and that is typical. You are not going to like peeing shit because of the intestinal parasites or your kids belly huge because of the worms or having to walk over the bridge and the car comes after because it is due to collapse any day. You are not going to like it and all because you care more about the banks than your fellow citizens.
beamofthewave
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jdmartin » Thu 09 Jul 2009, 00:22:13

PrestonSturges wrote:
Fishman wrote:Preston

Well enjoy the political wilderness, because you are going to be there a long time until you get past the hooting-monkey-feces-throwing-stage and evolve into something more constructive.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice! That's a riot. And how true....this is why the GOP is on death's doorstep - because it's been completely hijacked by right-wing theological nutjobs. Barry Goldwater saw it coming. Barry'd be shitting his pants right now at what the GOP's become.
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 09 Jul 2009, 02:20:29

PrestonSturges wrote:....it's mighty strange to see california collapsing under a GOP governer....

Its not so strange if it you take a second to understand what is happening in California.

--California is 26 billion in the red. Its broke. California spends more then it takes in.

--GOP governor Ahhhhnold wants the state to cut spending.

--The democrats who control the state legislature won't cut spending.

Its simpleminded to only blame Ahhhnold or the GOP for the mess....the democrats who control the state legislature and actually appropriate the money for state spending have failed to pass a budget----the democrats are refusing to cut the bloated state spending so they get a big share of the blame.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bratticus » Thu 09 Jul 2009, 06:24:02

Don't forget, the start of issuing IOUs was July 1...

But the total cash crisis is July 28

California Democrats unveil budget plan, but Schwarzenegger vows veto
By Mike Zapler
Mercury News Sacramento Bureau
Posted: 06/17/2009 04:18:17 PM PDT
Updated: 06/17/2009 09:55:58 PM PDT

... skip ...

Controller John Chiang said that the state will run out of cash July 28. But he and Treasurer Bill Lockyer have said a budget plan needs to be adopted several weeks before then — July 1 at the latest — to avoid missing billions in payments to service providers and vendors.

... snip ...

We have not yet begun to see California fall into the ocean yet.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Economics & Finance