Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Yorker/Worried About Second Oil Shock

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

New Yorker/Worried About Second Oil Shock

Unread postby deMolay » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 16:46:55

"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: New Yorker/Worried About Second Oil Shock

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 08 Jul 2009, 18:39:00

The New Yorker suggests that rising oil prices will create a public demand for higher oil taxes to reduce the demand for oil.

I think the opposite is likely.....rising oil taxes will create a public demand for LOWER taxes and more access to cheaper oil.

But there isn't any cheaper oil to be had.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:26:26

Plantagenet wrote:The New Yorker suggests that rising oil prices will create a public demand for higher oil taxes to reduce the demand for oil.

I think the opposite is likely.....rising oil taxes will create a public demand for LOWER taxes and more access to cheaper oil.

I agree with PA's assessment on what people will want and why they will not get it. What happens after that? That is the part of the equation that keeps me up at night.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:38:16

wisconsin_cur wrote:I agree with PA's assessment on what people will want and why they will not get it. What happens after that? That is the part of the equation that keeps me up at night.

In fact that lets me sleep very well.
Shitty and dysfunctional global economic system will chaotically collapse.
The faster, the better. :)
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MD » Sun 12 Jul 2009, 10:41:28

This isn’t an idle concern, since recent history demonstrates how damaging skyrocketing oil prices can be. Indeed, blame for the current recession can be laid in part on the spike in the price of oil between June of 2007 and July of 2008, when it peaked at nearly a hundred and fifty dollars a barrel. A study by James Hamilton, a macroeconomist at U.C.-San Diego, reached a startling conclusion: given the already weak state of the U.S. economy in 2007, the sharp increase in oil prices might have been enough, on its own, to tip the economy into recession, even without that year’s blowup in the credit markets. It wasn’t just that, as many people assume, higher gas prices functioned as a tax increase, taking money out of people’s pockets. More important was the fact that four-dollar-a-gallon gasoline dramatically changed the way people spent their money.

No kidding?

That comment alone deserves a couple hundred eye-rolls.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby ivanillich » Sun 12 Jul 2009, 11:30:33

Plantagenet wrote:The New Yorker suggests that rising oil prices will create a public demand for higher oil taxes to reduce the demand for oil.

The article suggests no such thing. In fact, it admits exactly this claim, that people will not want higher taxes. It merely suggests that higher taxes are a good thing despite the public outcry. And expresses the hope that people will learn. Of course, that's just a hope.

"But, rather than leave so much of our fate to chance, we’d be better off doing what politicians always say they want to do: lessen the U.S. economy’s dependence on oil. One step toward that would be to phase in a gas tax designed to smooth out oil’s spikes and plunges by keeping the price of gasoline fixed (the tax would rise when the price of gas fell, and vice versa). Raising gas taxes is, of course, a solution that politicians—and voters—hate. But perhaps another oil shock or two will change that.But, rather than leave so much of our fate to chance, we’d be better off doing what politicians always say they want to do: lessen the U.S. economy’s dependence on oil. One step toward that would be to phase in a gas tax designed to smooth out oil’s spikes and plunges by keeping the price of gasoline fixed (the tax would rise when the price of gas fell, and vice versa). Raising gas taxes is, of course, a solution that politicians—and voters—hate. But perhaps another oil shock or two will change that."
ivanillich
Wood
Wood

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 12 Jul 2009, 14:36:12

ivanillich wrote: Raising gas taxes is, of course, a solution that politicians—and voters—hate. But perhaps another oil shock or two will change that."

But you see, taxing already expensive oil will result in accelerated shutting down economy.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Economics & Finance