Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Feds consider allowing homeowners to rent their own homes

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Feds consider allowing homeowners to rent their own homes

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 04:28:34

NEW YORK, July 14 (Reuters) - U.S. government officials are weighing a plan that would let borrowers who have fallen behind on their mortgage payments avoid eviction by renting their homes instead, sources familiar with the administration's thinking said on Tuesday.

Under one idea being discussed, delinquent homeowners would surrender ownership of their homes but would continue to live in the property for several years, the sources told Reuters.

Officials are also considering whether the government should make mortgage payments on behalf of borrowers who cannot keep up with their home loans, tapping an unused portion of a $50 billion housing aid kitty.

As part of this plan, jobless borrowers might receive a housing stipend along with regular unemployment benefits, the sources said. (Reporting by Patrick Rucker; Editing by Diane Craft).
http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN1429265720090714?rpc=77

Can you imagine, losing your home in foreclosure, then being granted the "privilege" of renting your home from the bank? But you can only rent "for several years," after which time I assume one would have to hit the streets for good.

And that other nugget of awesomeness.. mortgage subsidies for the unemployed! And extended unemployment comp too!

Wow, this CLEARLY can't end well.

To be clear, I'm not knocking whatever assistance the unemployed are lucky to get. I'm just thinking of the bigger picture.. sending out checks and paying people's mortgages, when we're headed for 30% unemployment, is simply not sustainable.

Or, am I wrong? Can we actually afford such a massive welfare state?

And the renting the homes back to the foreclosed owners is really the wrong way to go.. why not a program to just renegotiate the adjustable rates for Pete's sake???? But no, we can't have that now can we -- far better for the bank to just own your house and have you renting it, things like equity is the province of the banksters now.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Feds consider allowing homeowners to rent their own homes

Unread postby heroineworshipper » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 04:58:12

Taxpayers paying stipends to millionaires to keep their mansions? No wonder China is first out of the recession, leading the world.
People first, then things, then dollars.
There will be enslavement, cannibalism, & zombie invasions.
heroineworshipper
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Grautr » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 04:59:36

Sixstrings wrote:
NEW YORK, July 14 (Reuters) - U.S. government officials are weighing a plan that would let borrowers who have fallen behind on their mortgage payments avoid eviction by renting their homes instead, sources familiar with the administration's thinking said on Tuesday. --snip--http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN1429265720090714?rpc=77[/url]
Can you imagine, losing your home in foreclosure, then being granted the "privilege" of renting your home from the bank? But you can only rent "for several years," after which time I assume one would have to hit the streets for good.--snip--quote]I read an artical some time back that they are alrady doing this in Britain.
Grautr
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 05:00:45

Madness.

What happens when the unemployed teat-sucker falls behind on his rent? Will the govt step in and subsidize his rent? Or will the "landlord" evict the unemployed teat-sucker, but only after he fails to pay rent for 6+ months?

You're quite right, SixStrings: this will not end well.

Pure madness.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 05:07:34

heroineworshipper wrote:Taxpayers paying stipends to millionaires to keep their mansions? No wonder China is first out of the recession, leading the world.
China's out of the recession? Could you elaborate, all I read is econo gloom and doom.. ?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MarkJ » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 07:58:30

Many local people losing their homes can't afford the property taxes, insurance, maintenance, repairs, water/sewer, electric, heat and hot water due to unemployment, under-employment, debt, child support etc, let alone afford their mortgage payments, a decent apartment, or to rent their home at market rates.

I've rented distressed sale homes I've purchased from employment/income/credit challenged homeowners to the original owners, but it never worked, even at monthly rents well below market rates. I ended up evicting all of them for non payment of rent, property damage, neglect, theft and numerous other landlord-tenant issues.

Many people become attached to their homes, so they still act like owners even when they become renters of the same property. They often can't make the psychological transition from owner-to-renter which is a nightmare for landlords.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 08:35:05

Sixstrings wrote:Wow, this CLEARLY can't end well.

To be clear, I'm not knocking whatever assistance the unemployed are lucky to get. I'm just thinking of the bigger picture.. sending out checks and paying people's mortgages, when we're headed for 30% unemployment, is simply not sustainable.

Or, am I wrong? Can we actually afford such a massive welfare state?

And the renting the homes back to the foreclosed owners is really the wrong way to go.. why not a program to just renegotiate the adjustable rates for Pete's sake???? But no, we can't have that now can we -- far better for the bank to just own your house and have you renting it, things like equity is the province of the banksters now.

if your goal is to put a floor under housing market prices so that mortgage backed securities retain some value, this would do it.

of course the government has acknowledged printing $300 billion in March and will probably have to do more. they have about $2 trillion worth of debt to finance this year, and another $5 trillion of the national debt that "rolls over" (needs to be re-financed.) they're selling bonds at the rate of $70- $100 billion a week.
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mattduke » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 08:46:24

Why don't they just outlaw home price declines?
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 09:12:39

Not to worry. The tax payer is moot. We have the printing press.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 10:02:30

mattduke wrote:Why don't they just outlaw home price declines?

Now, *there* you go, being all rational again. We've spoken to you about this before and you know that's not allowed in this country.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 11:09:02

"Rent their own homes" - with the negative equity situation at hand, does anyone realize how ridiculous this statement is?

It stopped being *your* home when you went $100k underwater. A filthy bum on the street has a better financial position on *your* house than *you* do - none. If banks are really that desperate to keep tenants living in their bad decisi, err.... 'homes', turn these houses out to the open rental market. There's plenty of rent money on the sidelines looking for a sweet pad to land until the end of the crash.
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Hoops_Mckann » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 13:41:58

It seems like nobody wants to be left holding the bag...(banks). What would happen if all the homes that were inflated to say 300k from 100k in the early 2000s were reset to the "realistic" value??? I suppose the lienholders (banks) would take a huge hit as many aready have. In a way, this has already happened...I wonder if the banks will ever let the home buyer re-negotiate the loan to the more realistic market value (one that was not artificialy pumped up)..???? Perhaps never... Soo...the home will be foreclosed on, vacant, most likely vandalized and goes down in value even more....
Hoops_Mckann
Peat
Peat

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 14:05:44

A person would be stupid not to join the madness... Quit the full time job, grab some farm work for cash, grab that government welfare check, oBama health care coverage. Spend free time buying craigslist hookers, and driving an old Z28 with bald tires...
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JoeW » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 14:58:17

Hoops_Mckann wrote:It seems like nobody wants to be left holding the bag...
I wonder if the banks will ever let the home buyer re-negotiate the loan to the more realistic market value (one that was not artificialy pumped up)..????

Perhaps I am not understanding your point correctly, but you seem to be implying that homebuyers should not be left "holding the bag". If that is the case, I disagree. When you agree to a purchase price, and then sign your name about 50 times to make the transaction, you are responsible for it. Renegotiate the loan to a more realistic value? Maybe they should do that with cars, as well. After you own a car for a few years, it's no longer worth what you paid for it. Maybe the bank should renegotiate the loan to a more realistic value, too.

Or maybe buyers should pay what they agree to pay when they sign a contract!
JoeW
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 15:01:14

frankthetank wrote:A person would be stupid not to join the madness... Quit the full time job, grab some farm work for cash, grab that government welfare check, oBama health care coverage. Spend free time buying craigslist hookers, and driving an old Z28 with bald tires...

"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 15:31:25

Marie Antoinette wrote:Let them eat cake"

Do we think it is time for this yet? LOL!
guillotine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DrGray » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 16:28:59

JoeW wrote: When you agree to a purchase price, and then sign your name about 50 times to make the transaction, you are responsible for it. Renegotiate the loan to a more realistic value? Maybe they should do that with cars, as well. After you own a car for a few years, it's no longer worth what you paid for it. Maybe the bank should renegotiate the loan to a more realistic value, too.

+1
Take responsibility for your decisions. Quite a concept.
It's funny you mention the car loan. I know a guy that has recently filed chap 11, and has actually asked for his car loan to be renegotiated to current market value. With straight face. Poor guy doesn't want to lose his Mercedes and Hummer.
DrGray
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Hoops_Mckann » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 17:04:26

JoeW wrote:
Hoops_Mckann wrote:It seems like nobody wants to be left holding the bag...
I wonder if the banks will ever let the home buyer re-negotiate the loan to the more realistic market value (one that was not artificialy pumped up)..????

Perhaps I am not understanding your point correctly, but you seem to be implying that homebuyers should not be left "holding the bag". If that is the case, I disagree. When you agree to a purchase price, and then sign your name about 50 times to make the transaction, you are responsible for it. Renegotiate the loan to a more realistic value? Maybe they should do that with cars, as well. After you own a car for a few years, it's no longer worth what you paid for it. Maybe the bank should renegotiate the loan to a more realistic value, too.

I agreee that debts should be repaid if the transaction was made in good faith. When I was 25, got lucky and was hired by a independent adjusting co. and went from making significantly more a year after. The first few checks went to paying off all 13k of my 10 years of total credit card debt. Then the car loan (2k left which I drove for year or so). I am not sure I would have been able to pay that off had I not made good money in the year or so after. I was a stupid college student who fell into the borrow now pay....much later...trap during the late ninteys and early 2000s. Since my lucky break and hard work, my buying decisions are actually more conservative and frugal than when i didn't have a pot to piss in...

What my point is that would'nt SOMEBODY have to take the cut? The homeowner will likely default anyway...Just like many of the credit card debts people own. It would seem in the banks best interest to get at least a portion of the original amount rather than little to none....I would at least try and re-negotiate the loan. Autos are not a good example..More or less, cars were not doubling in price for LKQ in a matter of a few years, but I get your point.
Hoops_Mckann
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pablonite » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 18:01:32

MarkJ wrote:Many people become attached to their homes, so they still act like owners even when they become renters of the same property

Precisely and when the time comes it will be easy to locate these negative equity debt slaves for the labour camps. Just kidding, there is no such thing as debtor prisons and never has been :)

The banks holding the title have nothing to lose and everything to gain. With a massive flood of foreclosures, trying to dump them all back into the market would not make much business sense?

Most of these people were destined to rent for life anyway and they should have known it. It was the old bubble trap :)
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nobodypanic » Wed 15 Jul 2009, 21:03:02

this entire sector of the economy-shelter, housing, what have you-should be immediately placed under centralized planning and authority; it's too god damned important to be left to the free market idiots and their voodoo market forces.

allowing this to degenerate into tens of millions of homeless invalidates the very legitimacy of the government. let them eat cake, indeed.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance