Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Be right back honey... I'll loot you something nice.

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Be right back honey... I'll loot you something nice.

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 09:18:55

Welcome to the new America...

Low-priority crimes like breaking and entering might not be prosecuted and the conviction rates will continue to decline if the proposed budget for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office is approved, Prosecutor Kym Worthy told commissioners this morning.

“We can’t even cover our courtrooms anymore,” Worthy said in vehemently disagreeing with the $28-million general fund budget proposed for the prosecutor’s office by Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano. “At some point, if the budget continues to be cut, we’re going to have to start making decisions about what crimes we prosecute.”

http://freep.com/article/20090716/NEWS02/90716048/Worthy--Cuts-hamper-crime-fight
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Re: Be right back honey... I'll loot you something nice.

Unread postby Fishman » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 09:41:08

"we’re going to have to start making decisions about what crimes we prosecute.” Does that mean they won't prosecute shooting someone in one's home? If there is no prosecution there is no reason not to commit the crime. Come on preston, throw a few race based comments in here now.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 09:44:36

Keep throwing people in jail for possession of small amounts of dope.
That seems to be working out real well for you.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 10:11:33

So far around here the increase in violent crime in the bigger towns has been between dopers. As usual here and there gap-toothed tweakers kill their toothless older relatives for their "fortunes" - probably all invested in cases of Ora-Jell & Numzit. :lol:

Burglaries are up in town too but still are 90% dopers - gotta be worried about gunners with a monkey driving though...

I haven't heard about much changing in the smaller towns so far.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 11:30:03

Western Canada was slow to catch on to meth.
I hear it is getting more common now but is a relatively new development.
My kid brought home a school pamphlet on it when school let out in June, so it's obviously more on the radar around here now.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 12:33:42

Maddog
Possession is certainly not the same as breaking and entering, so your arguement seems rather pointless. Perhaps we can direct those who want to break and enter your way? Since they won't be prosecuted you and the system will both be happy.
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 12:58:08

No it certainly isn't.
I was referring to the 750,000+ people that the US currently has incarcerated for simple possesion charges, the largest amount of people for any country in the world.
I've had my place broken into in the past. If you think the police really give a Expletive deleted about simple B&E's you're dreaming. All they did was give me a case file number for the insurance people.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 13:43:48

Law Enforcement Layoffs: Sheriffs, Police, Corrections, Jail Closures and Crime Rates in USA
State's layoffs target troopers Gov's plan cuts 100 troopers, spares most of 200 other job losses by Mark Hornbeck / Detroit News Lansing Bureau:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009--Lansing -- Law enforcement will bear the brunt of state layoffs this year, while job losses across the rest of government will be considerably less than estimated when Gov. Jennifer Granholm first unveiled her plan to close the budget deficit.
A Detroit News review of all 19 state departments, the Governor's Office and the Legislature found that aside from the 100 trooper layoffs that will take effect June 28, there will be only 66 other layoffs of full-time state employees this spring and summer. When Granholm announced the budget cuts, officials anticipated 200 state workers would lose their jobs. ...
DetNews.com
Layoffs for Atlanta Include police and fire
(posted about one year ago) ATLANTA (FOX 5) -- The largest group of city employees was laid off Friday. The layouts in nearly every department are expected to help Atlanta's $140 million budget deficit.
By Monday, 441 city workers from nearly every city department are expected to lose their jobs while another 347 vacant positions will be eliminated. The largest cuts are in the city's public works, police and fire departments, although Franklin said the cuts won't include reductions in the city's ranks of sworn police officers."We are saddened that we are in a position where families' lives are disrupted because of a loss of employment," Franklin said during a meeting Thursday.
The cuts will save the city about $54 million. Franklin presented city council members on Wednesday the property tax proposal -- which she said would be a "last resort" but would fill city coffers with an extra $40 million. The exact percentage of the increase was not released. She also recommended city fees should increase.
City council members said they would refuse to pass a tax increase, although they ultimately must decide by June 30 whether to approve the plan. Instead, some council members said the city's revenue should be better managed. "You need to monitor city departments better, so you know where the waste is," said council member C.T. Martin.
City officials say the large shortfall is projected because of higher spending on employee pensions, health care and fuel, as well as less money collected in permitting fees, sales tax and other revenue sources. ...
Police Link
Police Seeking Record Aid to Avoid Layoffs President Obama Set Aside $1B for Police Help, More Than $8B Requested
Washington, 2 Jul 2009--(AP) The nation's police departments are clamoring for an unprecedented amount of federal aid to forestall big local tax hikes or the possible layoff of nearly 40,000 police officers - enough to staff the entire New York City Police Department. When President Barack Obama signed the huge economic stimulus bill earlier this year, $1 billion was set aside to help local and state police avoid layoffs or keep their police academy classes intact.
More than 7,200 aid applications poured into the Justice Department and, taken together, they say nearly 40,000 cops could be laid off without federal help. There's no way to verify the number; it depends upon the political process in many places, and law enforcement officials are not above presenting their potential losses in stark terms that aren't necessarily inevitable. During the Clinton administration, FBI Director Louis Freeh once claimed a proposed budget didn't contain enough money to buy bullets for target practice; others said, if that were so, it only meant the bureau had misallocated its more than $2.2 billion budget.
CBSNEWS
ONE IN FIVE N.J. POLICE AGENCIES CONSIDERING LAYOFFS Press Release the New Jersey State PBA NJLawman.com
Police and Law Enforcement News, Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:50 p.m.
New Jersey State PBA Economic Impact on Law Enforcement Survey
1 in 5 New Jersey Police Agencies face loss of Officers
survey of New Jersey law enforcement by the New Jersey State Policemen's Benevolent Association found that 1 in 5 police agencies are considering laying off police officers because of the economic conditions. New Jersey State Policemen’s Benevolent Association President Anthony Wieners said, “While our economy may be suffering our safety should not be. It is officers in the streets that deter crime. Local officials must put community safety first when making the challenging choices ahead.” The survey conducted during the first two weeks of March polled the 33,000 members of the New Jersey State PBA for conditions in their local agencies. Local governments had advised 325 law enforcement officers that their positions would be eliminated in the coming months because of economic conditions. “This does not take into account governments who want to temporarily lay off officers under work furlough plans,” according to Jim Ryan survey coordinator.
Police News

As the LE ranks continue to shrink, those who are left are not going to waste money and resources to go after criminals who commit misdemeanors.
And, counties are going to change the way those incarcerated prisoners eat, etc.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Roy » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 13:53:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGAs-i32t5c

April 26th, 1992
There was a riot on the streets
Tell me where were you?
You were sittin' home watchin' your TV
While I was participating in some anarchy
First spot we hit it was my liquor store
I finally got all that alcohol I can't afford
With red lights flashin', time to retire
And then we turned that liquor store into a structure fire
Next stop we hit, it was the music shop,
It only took one brick to make the window drop
Finally we got our own P.A.
Where do you think I got this guitar that you're hearing today?
(Cuz' as long as I'm alive, I'ma live ill B)
When we returned to the pad to unload everything
It dawned on me that I need new home furnishings
So once again we filled the van until it was full
Since that day my livin' room's been much more comfortable
Cause everybody in the hood has had it up to here
It's getting harder, and harder, and harder each and every year
Some kids went in a store with their mother
I saw her when she came out she was gettin' some Pampers
They said it was for the black man
They said it was for the mexican
But not for the white man
But if you look at the streets, it wasn't about Rodney King
It's this fucked-up situation and these fucked-up police
It's about comin' up and stayin' on top
And screamin' 187 on a mother fuckin' cop
It's ain't in the paper, it's on the wall
now she God spoke from all around

(Any unit, any unit...)
(Homicide, never doing no time)

Give me my share, my share.
Gimme my share, I want it.
Gimme my share, I need it now, I need it now.
My share.
A wicked one who doesn't wanna see me go.
Just gimme my share, I want it. Gimme my share.
But you don't want to give it to me,
you don't wanna see me go.
Gimme my share, I want it, Gimme my share.
But there is a wicked one.

(Units be advised of an attempt 211 to arrest now at 938 Temple, 9-3-
Temple, many subjects with bats trying to get inside the CB's
house...they're trying to kill him)

Let it burn
Wanna let it burn, wanna let it burn
Wanna wanna let it burn
(I feel insane)
Riots on the streets if Miami
Whoa, riots on the streets of Chicago
On the streets of Long Beach
In San Francisco
Riots on the streets of Kansas City
Tuskaloosa, Alabama
Cleveland, Ohio
Fountainberry, Paramount, Vista Buelle
Eugene, Oregon
Eureka, California
Hesperia
Santa Barbara
mother fuckin' Nevada
San Diego
Lakewood, Florida
fuckin' 29 Palms

(Need a unit to... structure fire and numerous subjects looting)
(10-15 to get rid of this looter)
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fishman » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 14:15:55

Not as poetic, but from the LA riots of 92 on Wiki
"The Korean American community, seeing the police force's abandonment of Koreatown, organized armed security teams composed of store workers, who defended their livelihoods from assault by the mob. Open gun battles were televised as Korean shopkeepers were forced to shoot at the mob to protect their businesses, and most likely their lives, from crowds of violent looters"

Getter done
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Hoops_Mckann » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 14:47:47

I have driven many miles on the highways between Louisville, Ky and Springfield, Mo and more recently, to mobile, AL and have noticed fewer patrol cars on the highways. I do see the occasional cop in a work zone though. Just spoke with a friend today who had both cars broken into with mostly misc items and an ipod stolen. He said he was not going to file a report as per him, the police don't come out to investigate that stuff anymore.

This dealer in MO is giving away a free AK-47 with the purchase of a new truck!!!
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/200 ... k.ak47.cnn
Hoops_Mckann
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pablonite » Fri 17 Jul 2009, 17:54:37

Maddog78 wrote:Western Canada was slow to catch on to meth.

Oregon was the birth place of the meth epidemic, it spread from there.

PBS Frontline - The Meth Epidemic (2006) is an interesting documentary you might be able to get your hands on.

There is a relation between the quality of efedrin being pumped into the market by big pharma and the number of people who get seriously hooked on meth according to the doc. Apparently the key ingedients in meth are only manufactured in a few places around the world, it is a complicated process, and it could be easily controlled just by going after the source. They have footage of a plant in India, it's impressive!

It appears to be a conflict of interest, big pharma is making billions from cold medicines. Meth heads are by far the most notorious property criminals, they can go on sprees for 3 days straight without a wink of sleep and are your worst nightmare when they get jonesing for a fix.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Sun 19 Jul 2009, 00:39:45

pablonite wrote:they can go on sprees for 3 days straight without a wink of sleep and are your worst nightmare when they get jonesing for a fix.

And they are 100% fearless.

A crack head tries to rob you. If you stick a gun in his face, 90% of the time, the crack head will back down. A tweaker? He won't care. You will have to put him down.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 20 Jul 2009, 11:21:15

Drop in violent crime mystifying !

Violent crime has plummeted in the Washington area and in major cities across the country, a trend criminologists describe as baffling and unexpected.

She said police are able to target specific locations or types of crime and policing is so high-tech that investigators are analyzing crime minute-by-minute and have greater ability to attack crime before it happens.

The pre-crime division is responsible!
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Mon 20 Jul 2009, 13:10:23

Maybe the criminals just want to hold on to their ammo! :roll:
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 20 Jul 2009, 19:09:15

Ferretlover wrote:Maybe the criminals just want to hold on to their ammo! :roll:

Maybe the criminals keep going into houses that have installed a Thug Motel along the lines of the RAID Roach Motel of yesteryear. Thugs go in, but they don't come back out.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 01 Sep 2009, 20:49:41

Stealth, asynchronous, community barter is a much nicer
concept than looting. Pink plastic flamingos on your lawn
is a real help in that it makes folks think you are so tasteless
that they wouldn't be caught dead with any of your stuff.
Possum skeletons with a little BBQ sauce on them sticking
out of the trash can are yet another way to gently hint at
passing your digs by.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 01 Sep 2009, 23:17:09

Bwahaaa, I like it. :lol:
Need to get me some of those flamingos.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to North America Discussion