Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Taser-hit man burst into flames

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Taser-hit man burst into flames

Unread postby Micki » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 22:24:32

A man in Western Australia was engulfed in flames when police officers fired a Taser stun gun at him.
Police say they used the Taser on Ronald Mitchell, 36, when he ran at them carrying a container of petrol and a cigarette lighter.

They said that Mr Mitchell, who lives in a remote Aboriginal community, had been sniffing petrol. They suggested the cigarette lighter started the fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8161026.stm

Pretty much as soon as tasers were introduced to the Aussie police force, news about accidents or mis-use started appearing. Let's see if use of taser become as popular in USSA.
Micki

Re: Taser-hit man burst into flames

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 03:23:00

Would it have been better if,

a) they shot him
b) they ran away from him
c) they let him continue to run at them with a can of gasoline and a lighter?
d) other (please elaborate)
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby spotacus » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 05:35:28

I know the police can be arses at times but I find it hard to feel sympathy for this individual.

I blame Darwin not the police.
spotacus
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 05:48:55

spotacus wrote:I know the police can be arses at times but I find it hard to feel sympathy for this individual.

I blame Darwin not the police.

Darwin? The town or the man?
This happened in remote Western Australia another state from the Northern Territory where Darwin is the capital.
The same kind of stuff is on the edge of happening all the time in every state with a significant indigenous population in Australia. This is a combination of freakish events which are all pretty normal in remote Australia.
Cops routinely pick up drunk aboriginals whilst ignoring white drunks.
It does not have to be on any other criteria than "appeared drunk"; thios guy couid have been doing nothing to provoke arrest but being intoxicated and having some petrol handy, has decided to pick a fight.
Bad move bro.
Of a population of about 200,000 the Northern territory alone recorded over 30,000 "Protective Custody Arrests" last year about 98% indigenous and mostly with no charges being laid. The drunks are held overnight and let go in the morning.
It probably saves a lot of lives; but it is draconian.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby yeahbut » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 07:36:00

wisconsin_cur wrote:Would it have been better if,

a) they shot him
b) they ran away from him
c) they let him continue to run at them with a can of gasoline and a lighter?
d) other (please elaborate)

Exactly. While tasers are undoubtedly abused by the police, and used in situations where they don't need to be, they stop people getting killed. There have been a number of high profile fatal shootings of offenders by police in recent years here in NZ which almost certainly could have been avoided if the police had had the taser option. They've got it now, and on balance I'm glad they do.
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 09:20:53

SeaGypsy wrote:Cops routinely pick up drunk aboriginals whilst ignoring white drunks.

Perhaps, there is a reason for that, don't you think? I mean, aside of good ole racism.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 10:08:37

Pretorian wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:Cops routinely pick up drunk aboriginals whilst ignoring white drunks.

Perhaps, there is a reason for that, don't you think? I mean, aside of good ole racism.

The statistics say the outback is racist but the statistics also say not enough aboriginals go to jail for their crimes.
Aboriginal imprisonment rates are horrific but so are the crime rates.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 22 Jul 2009, 10:29:09

Lots of controversy about Tasers in Canada right now.
Several high profile deaths including that Polish immigrant at Vancouver airport.

The problem is the cops seem to be whipping them out in many situations where they would just have used a good old fashioned arm lock in the past. Why get sweaty, let's just tase the creep? They even used one on a mouthy senior citizen in a hospital bed!
If they are using them in place of a firearm fine, but if they are using them just for the hell of it, as seems to be the case in more and more situations in Canada, then that is not right.

An investigative board will be releasing it's conclusions soon.
We'll see what happens with Tasers in Canada.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 23:18:43

New rules for the cops in B.C. as of today.
The Taser manufacturer doesn't like it. No surprise there.

http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/abc/Local/BC/ContentPosting?isfa=1&feedname=CBC_LOCALNEWS&date=true&newsitemid=vancouver-bc-new-taser-rules-adopted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOCAL NEWS New Taser rules for B.C.

The B.C. government will restrict the use of stun guns by police, following the release of a report by the Braidwood Inquiry in Vancouver on Thursday.

23/07/2009 8:56:44 PM

The use of Tasers and other conducted energy weapons in B.C. will now be subject to tight control, according to Solicitor General Kash Heed.
(CBC)

Effective immediately, all police, sheriffs and corrections officers in B.C. have been directed to severely restrict the use of conducted energy weapons, in accordance with recommendations from the inquiry, Solicitor General Kash Heed said.

The B.C. government also will immediately raise the threshold for use of the electric stun guns to match former judge Thomas Braidwood's recommendations.

That means Tasers should only be deployed when all of the following criteria are met:

- The officer is enforcing a federal criminal law.

- The subject is causing bodily harm or will imminently cause bodily harm.

- No lesser-force option has been or will be effective in eliminating the risk of bodily harm.

- De-escalation and/or crisis intervention techniques have not been or will not be effective in eliminating the risk of bodily harm.

- In addition, the government will move to ensure all police using stun guns have access to defibrillators, said Heed.

Conducted energy weapons will now undergo regular testing and police will be required to report all use of the weapons to the province, said the statement.

In addition, B.C. will work with the federal government during contract negotiations to incorporate Braidwood's recommendations into future contracts with the RCMP for policing in the province.

Report based on speculation, says Taser manufacturer

Meanwhile, both the provincial RCMP and the Taser manufacturer issued written statements in response.

Taser International Inc. of Scottsdale Ariz., said it appears that "politics has trumped science."

It said the recommendations in the report are based largely on speculation and ignored key facts.
snip.....................
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 01:48:37

It's hard to say what might have prevented this incident.

It may be that the bad guys will just have to stop approaching the police while carrying cans of gasoline. I know, I know, what's the world coming to, but I don't have a better solution than that.

Maybe the bad guys can start carrying DOT approved safety cans.

This is the kind of can I carry, and I have never burst into flames:

:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yeahbut » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 02:11:17

BigTex wrote:It's hard to say what might have prevented this incident.

It may be that the bad guys will just have to stop approaching the police while carrying cans of gasoline. I know, I know, what's the world coming to, but I don't have a better solution than that.

Maybe the bad guys can start carrying DOL approved safety cans.

This is the kind of can I carry, and I have never burst into flames:

Yes, it should be always satety first when charging the police with a can of gas :)

Is this kind of incident referred to as fire retardation?
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 04:20:35

yeahbut wrote:

Is this kind of incident referred to as fire retardation?

Fire retardation? There is a 50% chance that IQ of this guy was below 62, in fact more than that since not all of these people are running after police with gasoline. In fact, its just a few points higher than one of an average Orangutan.
Imagine this guy (drunk!) running after you with a can of gasoline and a lighter.

Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 07:50:07

The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long?
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 08:12:44

Sounds like another Suicide by Cop.
A fairly common thing I've been told.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 24 Jul 2009, 09:16:52

Maddog78 wrote:Sounds like another Suicide by Cop.

Maybe we should have a Craigslist section matchmaking service pairing up people who want to die, with people who want to kill.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BigTex » Tue 11 Aug 2009, 13:45:26

rangerone314 wrote:
Maddog78 wrote:Sounds like another Suicide by Cop.

Maybe we should have a Craigslist section matchmaking service pairing up people who want to die, with people who want to kill.

Perhaps it should be called a match lighting service.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion