Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cargo shipper losses second quarter

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Cargo shipper losses second quarter

Unread postby the48thronin » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 13:51:35

The article starts out...
ATLANTA Consumers are sending fewer, lighter packages, businesses are urgently trying to spend less on shipping orders, and it all spells bad news for UPS Inc. The economic bellwether said Thursday its second-quarter profit plunged 49 percent and cautioned that its near-term outlook probably won't improve.
The story from smaller rival FedEx Corp. last month was even worse, as it faced some of the same challenges as UPS, but also accounted for hefty one-time charges and reported a sizable loss in its most recent quarter.
but continues
UPS gave an outlook for the third quarter that was below Wall Street expectations, and executives said that while the economy may be bottoming out, the larger question is how long it stays at low levels before growing."I wouldn't call this a new normal," CEO Scott Davis said. "It will come back. Industrial production will grow again."
actually this one is better than most. for instance the "analysts" are all influenced by the "models" written in the age of cornicopians, and they show it in their numbers predictions.

For instance clearly in this article you can see the difference between the thinking of "model" driven anylists, and the people who are real world watching the performance and possible situatiuon of their industry. And the this is the bottom hype continues, even in quarterly statements.
GREENEVILLE, Tenn.—Cargo shipper Forward Air Corp. said Monday that second-quarter profit plunged 76 percent due to the recession and predicted that third-quarter earnings would be below Wall Street expectations.
Chairman and CEO Bruce A. Campbell said that the tough freight market lasted through the second quarter due to the recession but that volumes in the company's core airport-to-airport business "showed signs of stabilization." Tonnage declined less sharply than it did during the first quarter.
and of course there are the "who knows" people
Operating expenses fell 30 percent to $381 million. Meanwhile, the company said its revenue per total mile fell about 2 percent to $1.4 million. Werner said its fleet size fell by 10 percent during the period, and said it does not expect to cut its fleet further, though remains doubtful the industry will improve in the near term.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 10 Jan 2010, 18:57:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Clarified title.
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The tarot card and crystal ball readers quarterly

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 13:57:32

I love statistics like "Tonnage declined less sharply than it did during the first quarter" or "Less people became unemployed."

I suppose if a person was shot by 5 bullets in a minute, and after that he was only getting hit by one or two bullets a minute that the situation for him has improved, even though the ambulance hasn't arrived yet.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby the48thronin » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 15:15:19

rangerone314 wrote:I love statistics like "Tonnage declined less sharply than it did during the first quarter" or "Less people became unemployed."

I suppose if a person was shot by 5 bullets in a minute, and after that he was only getting hit by one or two bullets a minute that the situation for him has improved, even though the ambulance hasn't arrived yet.

+1
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Novus » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 19:17:38

rangerone314 wrote:I love statistics like "Tonnage declined less sharply than it did during the first quarter" or "Less people became unemployed."

It is a lot like the double speak coming out Iraq war the last 6 years. Oh only 30 soldiers were killed this month compared to losing 40 soldiers in the same month last year.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance