Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Surviving the 'End of Civilization'

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Surviving the 'End of Civilization'

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Tue 28 Jul 2009, 14:04:05

Biggs is advising America's wealthy elite. But what about Main Street Americans? Investors often ask me where to invest today, even Bogleheads and investors committed to the Lazy Portfolio strategy. They see the Goldman Conspiracy manipulating this rally. That worries many.

What do you believe? What value do you give to "the future." First, answer these three questions: What's your investment strategy if you know you might die on Dec. 21, 2012, or possibly this year after getting a negative diagnosis from an oncologist or maybe not till 2050 when the United Nations says global population will be 50% higher (from 6 billion now to 9 billion), while demand for energy, oil, gas and coal doubles and the global supply of those commodities remains relatively constant.

Link
I'd rather be the killer than the victim.
The Money Badger don't care. Sucks to be poor!
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Surviving the 'End of Civilization'

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 28 Jul 2009, 15:00:22

vaseline2008 wrote:
Biggs is advising America's wealthy elite. But what about Main Street Americans? Investors often ask me where to invest today, even Bogleheads and investors committed to the Lazy Portfolio strategy. They see the Goldman Conspiracy manipulating this rally. That worries many.

What do you believe? What value do you give to "the future." First, answer these three questions: What's your investment strategy if you know you might die on Dec. 21, 2012, or possibly this year after getting a negative diagnosis from an oncologist or maybe not till 2050 when the United Nations says global population will be 50% higher (from 6 billion now to 9 billion), while demand for energy, oil, gas and coal doubles and the global supply of those commodities remains relatively constant.

Link

These guys see themselves holing up in Galts Gulch, drinking nice vintages from the wine cellar while getting fat on frozen Omaha Steaks and chasing off the peasants with a few rounds from their mall ninja weapons. Good luck with that one.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ayame » Tue 28 Jul 2009, 15:05:49

I would die anyday being shot rather than starve to death. I think this is the choice many will face in the future apart from in countries where guns are not generally available, then it's machete vs. starvation.
What a time to have to be alive.
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 28 Jul 2009, 15:12:24

Your best bet is to stake out on of these luxury hideaways and move in with 20 buddies before the lord of the manner comes flying in.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ayoob » Tue 28 Jul 2009, 15:49:51

Or you can stock up on wine and Omaha steaks yourselves, and not worry about what somebody else has put up.

Conservative - Steaks and wine

Liberal - Death wish charging a rich man's compound, bitching about shit he should have done years ago.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 28 Jul 2009, 15:55:05

Ayoob wrote:Or you can stock up on wine and Omaha steaks yourselves, and not worry about what somebody else has put up.

Conservative - Steaks and wine

Liberal - Death wish charging a rich man's compound, bitching about shit he should have done years ago.

Conservative - build pyramid, plan to live forever
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Wed 29 Jul 2009, 10:46:47

PrestonSturges wrote:Your best bet is to stake out on of these luxury hideaways and move in with 20 buddies before the lord of the manner comes flying in.

If you have 20 buddies to split the spoils with, you will either be highly disappointed in your per person take if successful; or you will realize that if you have 20 buddies at your command, there are much bigger fish you can fry; welcome to your first steps along the path to becoming your regional warlord.

Very dangerous occupation.
Very rewarding to the successful.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby NTBKtrader » Wed 29 Jul 2009, 12:37:03

Big compounds with steak and wine would be over run if the sh tf in this way. The communities that will make it will be the meak i.e. small farming/hunting church centered cohesive rural communities. imo
NTBKtrader
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 29 Jul 2009, 12:52:22

One of the things that has intrigued me about the total melt down scenario is how long would you have to hunker down before the starving zombies ran out of energy to pillage? The brain is a computer that runs on calories, as the body begins to starve, the higher level thinking centers of the brain will not continue to run at peak capacity. How long before the body begins to fail? It would seem that famine would thin the ranks of the horde within a few weeks.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Umber » Wed 29 Jul 2009, 13:07:32

PrestonSturges wrote:
vaseline2008 wrote:

Link

These guys see themselves holing up in Galts Gulch, drinking nice vintages from the wine cellar while getting fat on frozen Omaha Steaks and chasing off the peasants with a few rounds from their mall ninja weapons. Good luck with that one.

How many rounds would it take to chase you off, Preston, if you were storming the battlements... assuming one of them didn't send you off for that long dirt nap? I'm just curious because it seems to me that many people will either be storming battlements or behind them in a societal collapse.

I'm sure there are other alternatives and I'd like to hear yours. Don't be vague, now! We need your input with lots of specifics for a plan so we won't perish in the first wave of MBZs (or is that MZBs?) in the coming bad times.

Umber
Umber

Unread postby nobodypanic » Wed 29 Jul 2009, 16:31:17

Umber wrote:
PrestonSturges wrote:
vaseline2008 wrote:

Link

How many rounds would it take to chase you off, Preston, if you were storming the battlements... assuming one of them didn't send you off for that long dirt nap? I'm just curious because it seems to me that many people will either be storming battlements or behind them in a societal collapse.

I'm sure there are other alternatives and I'd like to hear yours. Don't be vague, now! We need your input with lots of specifics for a plan so we won't perish in the first wave of MBZs (or is that MZBs?) in the coming bad times.

Umber

well, i envision your local national guard unit commander going rouge and sending out a welcoming committee for you. so how many RPG rounds do you think you'll need to take out that APC? i'd say three. the first one will likely be a miss, since you've never fired an RPG (i'am guessing); the third one, will be in case you don't get a critical hit w/your second round, since you've never had to take out an APC before (i'am guessing). good luck. :)
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bodigami » Mon 03 Aug 2009, 23:28:28

PrestonSturges wrote:
vaseline2008 wrote:

Link

instead, they will be compost for my many lands. investment strategy if you know you are going to die? :lol: punch that credit card, fatty$, i pitty your frivolous existance. chose cold or hot naraka :twisted:
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Mon 03 Aug 2009, 23:31:05

Ayame wrote:I would die anyday being shot rather than starve to death. I think this is the choice many will face in the future apart from in countries where guns are not generally available, then it's machete vs. starvation.
What a time to have to be alive.

machetes can be carryied in Costa Rica with not even "permits" because they are "agricultural tools". when all hell breaks lose and you happen to be in Costa Rica because you are thinking to "cash in"; RUN from the guy carrying 2 katanas and 2 berettas while mounting a hot-blooded horse! :lol: :twisted:
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Mon 03 Aug 2009, 23:33:14

AgentR wrote:
PrestonSturges wrote:Your best bet is to stake out on of these luxury hideaways and move in with 20 buddies before the lord of the manner comes flying in.

If you have 20 buddies to split the spoils with, you will either be highly disappointed in your per person take if successful; or you will realize that if you have 20 buddies at your command, there are much bigger fish you can fry; welcome to your first steps along the path to becoming your regional warlord.

Very dangerous occupation.
Very rewarding to the successful.

...or become the "capo di tutti i capi"... or a president of a "small" country. :-D
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Return to Economics & Finance