Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The New Colonialism

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The New Colonialism

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 01 Aug 2009, 08:56:28

It has been reported here before that China already has thousands of workers in Africa. http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 24,00.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The New Colonialism

Unread postby Roy » Sat 01 Aug 2009, 10:05:38

Nice find. Thanks for posting.

Sounds like the paradigm of rich investors mining resources where ever they can continues.

That's because land, which is extremely fertile in some regions, is inexpensive on the impoverished continent. Payne's land fund pays $350-500 per hectare ($140-200 per acre) in Zambia, about a tenth the price of land in Argentina or the United States. For a small farmer in Africa, the average yield per hectare has remained unchanged in 40 years. With a little fertilizer and additional irrigation, yields could quadruple -- and so could profits.

I'm sure yields and profits could grow. But at what cost to the small farmers in Africa?
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby outcast » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 03:44:27

deMolay wrote:It has been reported here before that China already has thousands of workers in Africa. http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 24,00.html

Y2K is real. Y2K is going to rock our world.
-Kunstler

Don't respond, I'll just ignore it.
-MonteQuest
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 05:57:33

Roy wrote:I'm sure yields and profits could grow. But at what cost to the small farmers in Africa?

I assume you already sent half of your daily rationing of porridge and corn-mash to starving Africans. What? You dont eat porridge? Starving Africans would really like you to.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 06:01:32

PS $350-500 per hectare is REALLY expensive price for a land like that, especially considering geography and stable anarchy in that region.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 08:16:29

Roy wrote:Nice find. Thanks for posting. Sounds like the paradigm of rich investors mining resources where ever they can continues.
That's because land, which is extremely fertile in some regions, is inexpensive on the impoverished continent. Payne's land fund pays $350-500 per hectare ($140-200 per acre) in Zambia, about a tenth the price of land in Argentina or the United States. For a small farmer in Africa, the average yield per hectare has remained unchanged in 40 years. With a little fertilizer and additional irrigation, yields could quadruple -- and so could profits.
I'm sure yields and profits could grow. But at what cost to the small farmers in Africa?

Yes, nice find. The African farmers will get squeezed out of their own land. Then look out. They'll want it back.

The land China is using/ contemplating using in Africa is borrowed only. It can be appropriated/ nationalized any time. I doubt if China will use armed force to defend borrowed farmland or any other resources in Africa.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 08:29:16

Yah the Chinese Benevolent Society. http://www.boston.com/news/world/africa ... cekeepers/
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 08:33:19

deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 08:40:39

The Chinese Communist Benevolent Society would never never disenfranchise poor African Proletariat. Must be lies. http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15036
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby outcast » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 09:16:40

Afraid American hegemony might finally be upstaged? If you're going to criticize a country for something, fine as long as it is consistant and applied to all countries who engage in such activities, otherwise its just hypocracy and in some cases even racist.
-Kunstler

-MonteQuest
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 11:05:47

Ha Ha Ha.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 11:23:43

The Communist Chinese Benevolent Society working for the African Proletariat. http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0420x-tina_butler.html
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 13:04:35

deMolay wrote:Chinese Troops in Zimbabwe? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 11796.html
Zimbabwe was one of Chinas very few cold war successes. IIRC ZANU was supported by the Chinese while ZAPU was supported by the Soviets, Mugabwes ZANU ended up running the country, so the ties are quite old, although post indepenence Zimbabwe was a traditional 'non-aligned' state with capitalism and some free market ideology.

The infamous 5 brigade was North Korean trained.

The article is old and referes to the time of the infamous arms shippment to ZImbabwe back in 2008.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 16:09:56

Chinaman in Madagascar, biodiversity haven:

Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby outcast » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 19:29:19

pstarr wrote:
outcast wrote:Afraid American hegemony might finally be upstaged? If you're going to criticize a country for something, fine as long as it is consistant and applied to all countries who engage in such activities, otherwise its just hypocracy and in some cases even racist.
Ever hear of personal responsibility? Your argument reminds me of Sarah Palin's excuse for her own kids.

Adults exercise control where they have it. I don't waste my in impossible fights. Like denying peak oil.

Yeah, although the total hypocracy of many china bashers is quite annoying.
-Kunstler

-MonteQuest
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 04 Aug 2009, 12:45:58

outcast wrote:
deMolay wrote:It has been reported here before that China already has thousands of workers in Africa. http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 24,00.html

racist propaganda worked back in the 40's, and stoped working around '04.

China is huge, as is USA. The best thing for the world is that this 2 countries go to a cage and make war with around 400 million survivors... but I am not advocating that. China and USA workers can make great peons in a post-peak oil world. USAmericans for "desk work" and Chinese for "field work".
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 04 Aug 2009, 12:53:29

outcast wrote:Afraid American hegemony might finally be upstaged? If you're going to criticize a country for something, fine as long as it is consistant and applied to all countries who engage in such activities, otherwise its just hypocracy and in some cases even racist.

USA used nuclear weapons on civilian soil. Back in the 80's (1785), that will mean that USA citizens will become slaves of the rest of the world after WW3.

A simple substitution: USAmericans slaves instead of oil slaves. But I am not advocating that. I advocate the peaceful abolition of the USA army for the benefit of protection from the new empire of China (which wouldn't last much; Japan and China could be in an eternal mutual check-mate for all I care... let the kamis decide who will win that war).
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Return to Economics & Finance