Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Recession ends in FRA, GER, HK etc.

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Recession ends in FRA, GER, HK etc.

Unread postby JohnDenver » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 01:40:31

Countries everywhere are exiting the recession and returning to growth: France, Germany, Hong Kong...
China and India of course never even got close to recession. China's low point was a growth rate of 6%, and India is on track for about 6% growth in 2009.

So, yah, the much trumpeted "Greatest Depression" has fizzled out like the fart of a sick lab rat.
Receding recession: Germany, France return to growth
August 13, 2009 | 10:57 am:
To stock market bears everywhere, this must all seem like a huge conspiracy.
Less than a week after the U.S. reported its smallest monthly net loss of jobs in a year, Germany and France today reported that their economies grew slightly in the second quarter -- defying predictions of further contraction.

Link
Hong Kong exits recession
HONG KONG - HONG Kong pulled out of its deepest recession since the Asian financial crisis in the second quarter as GDP grew more than 2 per cent from the previous three months, a source familiar with the situation told Reuters on Friday.

The source would not clarify whether gross domestic product growth had hit or exceeded 3 per cent, but growth was well above analysts' forecasts for a 1.1 per cent expansion.

Link
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Recession ends in FRA, GER, HK etc.

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 03:42:49

JohnDenver wrote:Countries everywhere are exiting the recession and returning to growth: France, Germany, Hong Kong...

You are such a Ad hom deleted. ...
It is only end of introduction to the beginning of recession. :-D :-D :-D
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Arthur75 » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 03:52:40

I'm from France and don't think this recession is ending at all, as to the little bump in the GDP figure, provided it's accurate, truth is unemployment keeps rising and profits of the CAC40 companies still 60% decrease or something
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dorlomin » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 07:37:34

JohnDenver wrote:Countries everywhere are exiting the recession and returning to growth: France, Germany, Hong Kong...
And when the stimulus runs out and the debt bills arrive....

You are not offereing any substansive analysis, merely taking a snapshot and inferring a trend. Amateur stuff really.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Grautr » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 07:58:19

And oil is back up 60% in price this year holding hands with the suckers rally. I expect this will drop again though as the market dives again in September/October.
Grautr
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Arsenal » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 08:26:26

With all the money being injected into the system, of course countries GDP's will rise. IF unemployment does not fall with the rise of GDP then this is only the beginning not the end.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ian807 » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 13:51:28

If you believe it's over, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you...
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Fishman » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 13:54:46

JD
No name calling. Be cautious. Generally two quarters of negative growth are needed to call something a recession. How about two quarters of growth to call something a recovery? Germany has thrown money at their cash for clunkers program. A recovery should not require all this money thrown at it. Give it time before you call it a recovery or false hope.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 14:59:12

Fishman wrote:JD
No name calling. Be cautious. Generally two quarters of negative growth are needed to call something a recession. How about two quarters of growth to call something a recovery? Germany has thrown money at their cash for clunkers program. A recovery should not require all this money thrown at it. Give it time before you call it a recovery or false hope.

It is all beyond me, why are you trying to convince a moron... who is probably a part of propaganda system
Waste of time and mission impossible, man... :-D :-D
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby zoidberg » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 23:07:55

Yep and JPM is predicting a "V" shaped recovery as well, a large drop down followed by an equal jump up. :lol:

Given the scale of gov't bailouts and record deficits everywhere I'm a little disappointed in the results, but trillions of dollars should buy something, right? Its all artificial man. If the economies dont add jobs and increase consumption then its not growing no matter what the figures are coaxed into saying.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pablonite » Fri 14 Aug 2009, 23:31:28

zoidberg wrote:Given the scale of gov't bailouts and record deficits everywhere I'm a little disappointed in the results, but trillions of dollars should buy something, right? Its all artificial man.

You haven't seen the results yet. The results come when debts go into default and the collateral is collected by the same banks getting bailed out. The bailout money buys time to prepare for the greatest transfer of wealth since the first great depression was engineered by the banks.

Look at any city in the world and make a note of the five tallest buildings not counting famous landmarks. With few exceptions, 5 banks everytime. The bailouts themselves are an amazing display of just how ignorant the people really are regarding the monetary system in general.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 16 Aug 2009, 03:50:55

pablonite wrote:
zoidberg wrote:Given the scale of gov't bailouts and record deficits everywhere I'm a little disappointed in the results, but trillions of dollars should buy something, right? Its all artificial man.

You haven't seen the results yet. The results come when debts go into default and the collateral is collected by the same banks getting bailed out. The bailout money buys time to prepare for the greatest transfer of wealth since the first great depression was engineered by the banks.

But what these banks could do with suburban wealth so insidiously acquired?

Next to no one will mortgage it, next to no one will want to rent it (and if so, then rent value will only be a slightly higher than zero) and hardly anyone will be in position to buy it, unless it goes for some silly price.
On the top of it banks will have to pay property taxes on this "wealth".

No, there is no wealth there...
All what might be transferred is actually a liability, not a wealth...
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 17 Aug 2009, 02:23:01

Now Japan is leaving recession:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8204075.stm
All that leaving recession stories sound like some poorly designed propaganda wave/PR exercise addressed to mindless mobs.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peripato » Mon 17 Aug 2009, 06:43:33

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Now Japan is leaving recession:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8204075.stm
All that leaving recession stories sound like some poorly designed propaganda wave/PR exercise addressed to mindless mobs.

Their timing's impeccable - comical really. However seems like world stock markets didn't get the message though. Asia fell out of bed this morning because it's apparent that the debt addled American consumer is unikely to ride to the rescue of the world economy anytime soon, seeing that he also in danger of losing his house and job in addition to access to easy credit. European markets are doing the same dash for the exits in early trading. I wonder what strange conjuring tricks the hall of mirrors that is the US markets will come up with to once more snatch delusion from the jaws of reality, in an effort to avoid suffering the same wet slap to the face.

World stocks, oil tumble on US consumer worries
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Thu 01 Oct 2009, 12:55:54

So recession is over ? tell that to the unemployed:
Euro zone jobless rate at new 10-year high
BRUSSELS (AP) -- Unemployment in the 16 nations that use the euro rose to a new 10-year high of 9.6 percent in August, EU statistics revealed Thursday, stoking fears that a weak labor market will hinder the pace of economic recovery.

Some 15 million people were seeking work in the euro area in August, 165,000 more than in July. The jobless rate is now the highest since March 1999. Unemployment for all 27 nations of the European Union also rose to 9.1 percent, the worst since March 2004 as 236,000 jobs disappeared from July to August.

EU forecasts say more jobs are likely to be lost in coming months as companies cut costs even as the economy starts to recover. In July, the unemployment rate was 9.5 percent in the euro zone and 9 percent in the EU.

Spain is the worst affected country with a 18.9 percent jobless rate -- with nearly one in five workers out of a job after the end of a housing bubble and a slowdown in tourism and consumer spending. Nearly two out of five under 25-year-olds cannot find work.

All EU nations reported more unemployment compared to a year ago, Eurostat said, with the smallest increases in Belgium and Germany.

Latvia and Estonia -- two Baltic nations that do not use the euro -- saw the jobless rate surge over the year as they sank into a deep economic downturn triggered by the financial crisis. Latvia's unemployment rate went from 7.4 percent in August 2008 to 18.3 percent in 2009.

The rising number of jobless is a worry for European governments because businesses in the region are slow to hire and fire workers -- meaning some people who lose their jobs may never find another one and will rely on welfare to survive.

Finance
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Kristen » Thu 01 Oct 2009, 16:20:17

I don't understand how the economy csn recover, without unemployment going down. Why does the whole derailing of the system have to be so painfully slow?
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Thu 01 Oct 2009, 16:41:50

dorlomin wrote:You are not offereing any substansive analysis,

Naw, probably trolling for quotes to debunk like this:

Much easier to debunk without argument...
:lol:
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Novus » Thu 01 Oct 2009, 18:44:47

I am pretty sure they will declare the US recession over in a few days. The recovery just doesn't feel right no matter country you are in. Something tells me the economy will double dip back into recession next year just as it in the double dip recession of 81-82.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 02 Oct 2009, 02:21:10

I'm all about optimism, but saying the recession is over for everyone makes me wonder when I entered " Make Believe Land "! just because something doesn't appear to be getting worse doesn't imply it's improving.

Maybe it's just me, but when and if this recession ends, I hope we don't return to our mindless appetite for materialism. Sure, status symbols have always existed, ask any symbologist, but not in such a peverse way. I guess what I'm saying is I hope the world eventually grows tired of these up and down cycles. We can do better then this.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sys1 » Sun 04 Oct 2009, 12:56:55

John Denver : Please STFU, you don't know anything about France. We are in the middle of a depression, more and more people jobless, and retails dying all at once. Even the number of police officers getting south (while we have a police-in-love president) because of lack of money. Too bad we will need them a lot when TSHTF.
If by growth, you mean fake numbers on MSM, then I'm sorry, I would in this case totally agree with you.
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Economics & Finance