Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How many people already knew ?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

What % of people were already aware of Peak Oil when you 1st mentioned it to them?

49%
1-25
49%
26-50
2%
51-75
No votes
76-100
No votes

Total votes : 57

How many people already knew ?

Unread postby Quinny » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 17:05:23

about peak oil?

In another recent post, someone stated that it was regularly mentioned in mainstream news media.

I rarely see a mention, and if so it's a fleeting mention.

So when you first mention Peak Oil to someone what percentage already were aware of the subject.

I have mentioned it to people in all walks of life, and no one had even heard of it!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: How many people already knew ?

Unread postby green_achers » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 18:53:22

Hard to know, I don't usually use the term, "peak oil."
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Narz » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 20:39:56

I'd walk up to random people in Philadelphia or NYC and ask them (conducting a survey) but it's just not my personality. Unless of course someone wants to pay me to do so. Image Then I'd happily poll 1,000 people.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Niagara » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 20:45:28

None.

They still don't know.
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 20:52:54

I'm a peak oil pain. I have been telling everyone whether they are interested or not; for several years.
In Australia most have heard the term but have no real idea of the ramifications.
In SE Asia I am yet to meet anyone who knows anything about it.
About 99% believe a tech fix will fill the energy gap as it opens; despite there being nothing statisticly to back this attitude up.
1st stage Kubler-Ross.
Denial. BAU
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby JJ » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 21:05:06

SeaGypsy wrote:I'm a peak oil pain. I have been telling everyone whether they are interested or not; for several years.
In Australia most have heard the term but have no real idea of the ramifications.
In SE Asia I am yet to meet anyone who knows anything about it.
About 99% believe a tech fix will fill the energy gap as it opens; despite there being nothing statisticly to back this attitude up.
1st stage Kubler-Ross.
Denial. BAU

I give up. I went into a shop on our square the other day (she sells silver). Got my silver. Was talking to the counterworker about the economy. The owner threw me out of the store "get on down the road with you, we can't do any business here with that negative talk, got out of my shop now, blah blah blah.". I thanked her for the silver and left. (there wasn't anyone else in the store). Her husband came into the produce department where I work a couple of days ago and told me I deserved to be thrown out of her shop, thats all political bullshit, I shouldn't believe any of it, etc. Then he came in yesterday and literally cussed me out because he didn't like the quality of the bananas (but I merely responded thats funny, the ones I bought were fine). My boss was standing nearby and started laughing. he said I've gotten several complaints about you, the people say you know, Jay used to be so nice, I've known him ten years, but now he's getting really scary. He also said I've been in this town for thirty two years. Don't try to talk to these people, they won't believe anything. They don't want to know anything.

So i suppose they are about to get a big wakeup call.

PS Bing says don't waste your time talking to Americans. They're stupid and they won't believe anything unless it happens to them.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TWilliam » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 21:52:52

JJ wrote:PS Bing says don't waste your time talking to Americans. They're stupid and they won't believe anything unless it happens to them.

Meh. 90% of those still won't believe it... [smilie=eusa_snooty.gif]
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 11 Sep 2009, 22:35:43

The only person that knew pretty much about it was a 19 years old girl from Montreal.Super bright girl, one in a billion. The rest of the people , if they heard about it, they believe in technical fixes 'no doubt about it'. In Europe pretty much the same thing. I've been called 'schizophrenic' by my ex girlfriend, and 'nuts but interesting' by my actual one. Not even my family believes it.
I don't like to be a doomer, and peak-oil it's not a hobby. I just deal with the facts.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby katkinkate » Sat 12 Sep 2009, 04:12:30

I don't talk about it any more. The only person who'd heard about it before I mentioned it was my brother and he seems to agree with the principle intellectually, but is in denial re. consequences and timing. He's a climate change denialist as well and has bought a nice little block of land in a coastal town to build his retirement home on. He'll be lucky if the sea hasn't claimed it by the time he's old/rich enough to retire.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Roy » Sat 12 Sep 2009, 06:51:51

I don't talk about it any more

This.

No one, not engineers, oil workers, analysts -- nobody. Trying to inform friends and loved ones when I first learned about it -- my PO evangelical phase -- was an epic fail.

Until one day my father in law emailed me a link to Matt Savinar's site, out of the blue in 2006. I had never mentioned it to him and he evidently found it on his own, just as I had.

Some friends totally dissociated with me. My mom thought (at the time) that I had gone crazy. At least she admitted to me last summer that many of things I had discussed with her were starting to make sense in her mind and she was noticing things lining up with some of my doomerish predictions from 04 (which were not my own, just parroting what I had read).

The person that matters most to me is my wife, and thank whatever deity you believe in, she got it. Our natural aptitudes are complimentary and we are both working toward more self sufficiency and building a network of people who are into local food, growing food, and who can get things done. We don't talk specifically about PO. We just stick to the general health benefits of naturally raised food, and disaster preparedness DIY type stuff. A lot of people are receptive to those ideas whereas they will shut you out if you say the taboo words of PO or doom. Weird.

JJ's wife is right. Most people don't want to know.
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Sat 12 Sep 2009, 13:15:03

Very few folks I bring this up with are aware. probably less than 10%. Most times its met with negativity, denial, and techno/cornucopian beliefs.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby davep » Sat 12 Sep 2009, 16:51:35

My Dad and my step-Mum were aware of this before me. But I learnt about it on my own. I always wondered why my Dad was looking at alternative energy in the seventies, and why he bought a small-holding in the nineties (he had been looking for one for a long time previously with my Mum, but she didn't really want to know - then they split up).

It's pretty cool having that kind of influence from your Dad. It means you can cross the line to the doomstead more easily. Kids don't learn from parental words, but from parental deeds.

He worked in the petro-chemical industry from the sixties as a draughtsman.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby americandream » Sun 13 Sep 2009, 03:42:15

katkinkate wrote:I don't talk about it any more. The only person who'd heard about it before I mentioned it was my brother and he seems to agree with the principle intellectually, but is in denial re. consequences and timing. He's a climate change denialist as well and has bought a nice little block of land in a coastal town to build his retirement home on. He'll be lucky if the sea hasn't claimed it by the time he's old/rich enough to retire.

I can't see a single aussie truly making the sacrifices necessary to accommodate peak oil even if there was wide spread awareness of the subject. Nor any other nationality for that matter so I'm not picking on you guys. But lets be up front, Australians are up there cheerleading the Chinese soz you can sell them your commodties. Saving the planet from anything remotely dystopian is pretty much at the bottom of your collective to do wish-list I reckon.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Sun 13 Sep 2009, 06:29:01

Roy wrote:We don't talk specifically about PO. We just stick to the general health benefits of naturally raised food, and disaster preparedness DIY type stuff. A lot of people are receptive to those ideas whereas they will shut you out if you say the taboo words of PO or doom. Weird.

If you think about it for just a second, you gotta agree talking about doom probably wouldn't rate very high on the acceptable small talk scale for much of the population. :o

But we are right there with you guys, Roy. When people think of oil they think of cars and really cars are the least of worries. About the best someone can do I think is lead by example and wean themselves from all the crap we produce from oil.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby americandream » Sun 13 Sep 2009, 15:36:15

Pops wrote:
Roy wrote:We don't talk specifically about PO. We just stick to the general health benefits of naturally raised food, and disaster preparedness DIY type stuff. A lot of people are receptive to those ideas whereas they will shut you out if you say the taboo words of PO or doom. Weird.

If you think about it for just a second, you gotta agree talking about doom probably wouldn't rate very high on the acceptable small talk scale for much of the population. :o

But we are right there with you guys, Roy. When people think of oil they think of cars and really cars are the least of worries. About the best someone can do I think is lead by example and wean themselves from all the crap we produce from oil.

Example. :lol: Whose gonna be taking notice of some anti-social dropout when there's all those ads on tv to watch.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 13 Sep 2009, 15:47:29

I made a mistake with the categories with a lack of granularity at the lower end, but I think the results still illustrate the point that the topic is not heavily covered in mainstream press and media as stated by some.
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 13 Sep 2009, 17:00:59

I can't understand why it isn't discussed more, and despite my reluctance to accept conspiracy theories, it is almost like the topic is suppressed.

Having said that, the nature of the press is headlines, not in depth analysis and discussion.

Petrol is back up to 108.9 p per litre at some places round here, there wasn't a peep from the press when it passed £1. Whats that translate to in dollars / gallon?
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 13 Sep 2009, 17:22:52

The media publishes what gets ratings - look at the timeline at the top of this search:
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?um ... %22&cf=all

Heh, it's lower now than at THE peak!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 13 Sep 2009, 18:17:51

I remember odd looks I was getting when I was saying to my classmates that there are will be no pensions for us as oil and NG will run out by then. It was late 80s-90s. I haven't heard a word about peakoil at the time.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion