Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Seeking consumption pie chart/military

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Seeking consumption pie chart/military

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 15 Sep 2009, 19:46:28

Hi,

I'm working on a presentation to my church group on global warming and want to show them a chart of how energy is used in the US. I'm looking for something simple that will display on a Power Point presentation.

The charts I find have "residential, commercial, transportation" and the like, but none seem to show the "whole picture."

I would like to see something with the government and military figured into it.

The point being that we need to reduce not only our personal energy spending but our shared energy budget as well.

Any pointers to a source?

Many thanks
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Seeking consumption pie chart/military

Unread postby pup55 » Tue 15 Sep 2009, 22:03:07

pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 15 Sep 2009, 23:18:36

I see the US military is consuming (as of 2004) 144 mbbls/yr. That's 'officially' just a hair more than a weeks worth for the USA.

I have a sneaky hunch some 'usage' is underreported. Just a hunch. An empirical study would be filled with 'gaps' so we'll likely never know exactly.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Sep 2009, 18:06:17

Yes, it seems the whole point of that article was to point out the inconsistency of oil use reporting by the military. And, does oil "bought" and consumed overseas figure into our total oil usage?

When I google something like "energy use consumption type (or sector)" I typically get:
32% industrial
29% transportation
21% Residential
18% commercial

What about government and the military????? Are they in that mix? Even if I add further descriptors to the search such as: government/military/dod, I still don't get anything useful.

I seems too obvious a question that someone has not reported on it before.

Deliberate obfuscation perchance?
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby sparky » Sun 11 Apr 2010, 00:25:00

This could help

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R40459.pdf

fuel supplies and purchase are the responsibility of the Defense Energy Support Center (DESC), under the command of the Defense LogisticsAgency (DLA),
it has the mission of purchasing fuel for all of DOD’s services and agencies,
both in the continental United States (CONUS) and outside (OCONUS)

The cost of petroleum products is a big headache for the DOD , the price keep rising
a grievously expensive item is jet fuel , the main subject of the above report

since the US dominance in conventional warfare is largely based on air supremacy
that's a big worry .
the most encouraging development of recent years has been the increased deployment of unmanned drones , they are much cheaper and it could be argued , much better at controlling the sky

a Darwinian pressure will probably occur , with increased niche specialization , appearance of predator prey relationship and the extinction of obsolete rival design such as manned observation planes

the Navy is petroleum cheap ( relatively ) due to its deployment of a large amount of nuclear reactors
as propulsion

The DOD has been going green of course , with little of value except as public relation exercise

sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models