Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Money Supply In Turmoil

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

US Money Supply In Turmoil

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 15 Sep 2009, 19:51:00

At rates not seen since the 1930`s. Caveat Emptor. Those saying the worst is over are in for a surprise. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/6190818/US-credit-shrinks-at-Great-Depression-rate-prompting-fears-of-double-dip-recession.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: US Money Supply In Turmoil

Unread postby DantesPeak » Tue 15 Sep 2009, 20:00:08

It is unclear why the US Federal Reserve has allowed this to occur.

My WAG is that is a side effect of the Fed's unwinding of over $500 billion in central bank "dollar swaps" undertaken about a year ago. That was blantant attempt to push the dollar higher, that many financial professionals clearly misunderstood. The reversal of that policy has caused the dollar to come tumbling back to earth.

Anyway those extra dollars from foreign countries probably at first migrated to US banks, or US bank branches, and became part of M3.

However the key point is that does this portend bad news for the economy is - generally so, but the effects of recents inflationary actiosn by the Fed, ECB, and IMF will probably reverse that decline before long.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby thylacine » Wed 16 Sep 2009, 09:55:28

I keep looking at this set of economic data (BOGNONBR). I haven't much of a clue what it all means, but it doesn't look like a system that is on an even keel. Massively negative late last year and now massively positive. They'll soon have to start plotting it with a logarithmic y axis.
thylacine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 16 Sep 2009, 10:00:00

This is what popped into my mind. 8O
vision-master

Unread postby heroineworshipper » Wed 16 Sep 2009, 13:43:17

"central banks will be forced to engage in outright monetisation of government debt by next year, whatever they say now."

If that happened, suspect a lot of us would stop buying bonds completely. China would be the only one still buying bonds because it's not in the business of making money, only economic stimulus. Your government would have to instantly devalue money to 0 & forget about any more borrowing.
People first, then things, then dollars.
There will be enslavement, cannibalism, & zombie invasions.
heroineworshipper
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance