Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Canary: Signs of trouble....

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Canary: Signs of trouble....

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 19:14:38

The meat in stores is starting to get tougher, lower quality cuts. It's one of the "canary in a coal shaft" type deals. It's a prelude to half-in-stock inventories in the JIT model.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 19:12:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged threads.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Signs of trouble....

Unread postby arretium » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 20:08:42

SO????

The meat at my grocery store is just as good as it has been in the past.
arretium
Coal
Coal

Unread postby shortonsense » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 22:26:27

arretium wrote:SO????The meat at my grocery store is just as good as it has been in the past.

Same here. Plus, its gotten cheaper since the food price runup last year. Although as of late, I've been collecting more chicken, its price has fallen even more.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Maddog78 » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 22:30:03

:lol:

Sounds like you need to change stores.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 01:35:57

JIT deliver is all shot to hell. I didn't get shipment of my new model high-end energy slave today, I mean, dishwasher. They must be slipping, that they can't produce a new design and ship on time each year!

(Don't bother me, buy wifey is in a tizzy going without a dishwasher another couple weeks. What happens when TSHTF? Don't know, but I'll probably get blamed for that too!)
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 02:06:42

FWIW, all of the sudden my local Walmart has decided to no longer sell ground sirloin.

I've actually been noticing a lot of screwy things at walmart.. every time I shop, they seem to be out of two or three things on my list (I don't remember this happening in times past). Last time I shopped, they were out of bell peppers.. wtf, walmart can't plan to have bell peppers in stock?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 08:00:27

Walmarts sales are up 3-4% I heard - you do that in a recession by selling lots of what people want and not carrying what they don't, crap the Waltons are the richest family in the world and they didn't get there by cutting railroad ties!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby JJ » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 08:10:50

Pops wrote:Walmarts sales are up 3-4% I heard - you do that in a recession by selling lots of what people want and not carrying what they don't, crap the Waltons are the richest family in the world and they didn't get there by cutting railroad ties!

Pops, I work for what (management) says is the most profitable grocery chain in the country. We have 340 stores in four states and Mexico. We had a mandatory "moral" meeting last week for all 164 employees. During the meeting, they told us our sales are up 5.8%, WallyWorld is 3.2% and Target is down 5.2%. Our profit, however is half what it was last year, as people are only buying the low dollar stuff.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 09:10:28

Just picked up one of these today, to store dry goods and freezer stuff.

I gotta vaccum pack my three years supply of oatmeal. :mrgreen:
vision-master

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 15:11:40

Sounds like a good time to go Vegan! I haven't bought any meat in about 5 years. I would not be able to comment if it's getting worse.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 15:24:34

well they don't call him Serial "worrier" for nothing. :o
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 15:31:26

I buy the majority of my meat from a family owned butcher shop and he's been buying his animals from the same farmers/ranchers for years so I've noticed no problems.
He's consistently good and fair priced.
Plus our kids played hockey together. :)
I support the little guy when I can.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aldente » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 15:55:19

Butchers have all be centralized in Germany as far as i am informed. Maddog obviously still purchases from a "grandfathered right" butcher in Ireland (if that is correct). We have plenty of those left here as well, but the idea is to have a few "gigantic" slaughter houses after all where liabilty can be somewhat kept in check.

Obviously vegetarianism is THE option to deal with the subject matter at its core (I personally subscribe to it, however enjoy and eat what is offered on the table that I visit), but reality has it that meat eating does not just go away like that. It requires compassion (an abused term by the late G.W.) who receives an "E" for effort since there must have been some form of thought development necessary (or was it the term itself that held the message ?). Graphic photo deleted.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 19:11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Graphic photo deleted.
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 16:25:42

aldente wrote:Maddog obviously still purchases from a "grandfathered right" butcher in Ireland (if that is correct).

Actually, no. That flag is called the Red Ensign and was the Canadian Flag before the Maple Leaf. I used it as an avatar to annoy another Canadian poster that doesn't come around much anymore. I guess I should change it.
My butcher is in a small city outside of Vancouver, B.C. where I live.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aldente » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 16:40:16

There is an Irish Maddog around somwhere though...
Good to hear that Canada is Canada and not the US of A.

Headlines had it that Muammar Gaddafi of Lybia called for the end of Switzerland (since one of his boys was arrested there for "abuse of servants" in a Geneva Hotel).

This is equal to ask Canada to be merged with the US of A for convenient resons, ironic when stated by an outsider.

And why is he in the media? Lybia has oil of high quality (super low sulfur content) running a gas station network in Switzerland under the name of "Tamoil".

What happens to the oil that Lybia is not selling ot Switzerland is unclear, however one thing is clear:

It does not stay underground!
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Jenab » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 20:32:59

Serial_Worrier wrote:The meat in stores is starting to get tougher, lower quality cuts. It's one of the "canary in a coal shaft" type deals. It's a prelude to half-in-stock inventories in the JIT model.

Some people (like me) live in areas where there's a lot of local farms with moo-cows and oinkers. I recently loaded up my freezer with a winter supply of pork, hamburger and chicken. The pork was 99 cents per pound. The burger was $1.29 per pound. The chicken was 59 cents per pound.

Once in a while you can buy hamburger for 99 cents per pound. And I've seen chicken going for 39 cents per pound (in 10 pound bags of drumsticks & short-thighs).

The pork roasts are delicious. I bake them in the oven and then cut the roast into meal size sections, which get wrapped and put in the 'fridge. They go well with mashed potatoes, which is still cheap in boxes at Dollar General, and string beans. Hint: mix salt, pepper and onion powder into the potato flakes before adding hot water. After stirring in the water, add a teaspoon of sour cream, and follow that with three or four teaspoons of pork-fat drippins. Yum yum.
Jenab
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Peak Oil Discussion