Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dust storms sweep across Australia

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Dust storms sweep across Australia

Unread postby americandream » Wed 23 Sep 2009, 02:30:19

Dust storms may make it across the Tasman to New Zealand. Sydney flights cancelled.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/866 ... ed-in-dust
americandream
Permanently Banned

Re: Dust storms sweep across Australia

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 23 Sep 2009, 11:33:42

What pictures! But, I imagine that a great many people, even if for only a moment, were freaked out. It looks like something from another planet. 8O
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby katkinkate » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 02:07:42

Freaked out, coughing, sneezing and sweating. I closed up the flat and I could still smell it. The light was golden, the sky orange except for a small circle of blue around the sun, which looked blue/white. It was hot and humid, but I couldn't open a window (no air conditioning :( ). The handiman mowing the lawn outside was orange from all the dust sticking to his sweaty skin. I'm glad I didn't have to go out in it.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 02:59:29

How long did it last for? Is there more on the way or was this a brief episode?

katkinkate wrote:Freaked out, coughing, sneezing and sweating. I closed up the flat and I could still smell it. The light was golden, the sky orange except for a small circle of blue around the sun, which looked blue/white. It was hot and humid, but I couldn't open a window (no air conditioning :( ). The handiman mowing the lawn outside was orange from all the dust sticking to his sweaty skin. I'm glad I didn't have to go out in it.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby sparky » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 03:15:05

At sunrise everything was blood red , there was no sky , only a red haze .
the lights were filtered bluer than normal ,the taste of fine dust is like burn earth

very freaky , very "end of days "
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby katkinkate » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 03:34:18

americandream wrote:How long did it last for? Is there more on the way or was this a brief episode?
Here in Brisbane, there was a fine haze when I woke up yesterday morning. Just enough to blur the edges of the buildings I could see across the valley, make the sky look pale dirty-blue and to start me sneezing 'n wheezing. Then around midday I was reading and I suddenly noticed the light was fading and changing colour and I pulled open the curtain and the sky was orange/brown and I couldn't see more than a hundred metres or so into the valley (I'm on the side of a hill). It gradually cleared as the afternoon went on and was almost totally gone by the next morning. The sky's nice and clear now with just a hint of dust on the horizon.

The weather people say there's a good chance of another dust-storm later this week or weekend. I suppose we should be grateful that most of the Lake Eyre catchment is still moist and covered with vegetation. In another few months it will have dried out totally and all that fresh dust will be available, but by then the weather systems that generate these storms should have moved too far south to bother us, until next winter/spring.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 03:56:03

I suspect the finer stuff is passing over NZ in the jetstream as the temperatures nosedived overnight with snow on the mountains and rain all day around here. Clearly your unfolding climate highjinks is going to have a knock on effect on our climate.
katkinkate wrote:
americandream wrote:How long did it last for? Is there more on the way or was this a brief episode?
Here in Brisbane, there was a fine haze when I woke up yesterday morning. --snip-- In another few months it will have dried out totally and all that fresh dust will be available, but by then the weather systems that generate these storms should have moved too far south to bother us, until next winter/spring.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby alokin » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 05:53:00

Blue skies in Brisbane today.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 07:21:56

The good news, meager as it might be, is that the dust that makes it far out to sea will act as fertilizer for the plankton and help build up the fish population in area's not fished.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby americandream » Thu 24 Sep 2009, 16:17:34

There are few unfished zones around here. The factory ships see to that. Dont believe the hype you read.

Tanada wrote:The good news, meager as it might be, is that the dust that makes it far out to sea will act as fertilizer for the plankton and help build up the fish population in area's not fished.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion