Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

DARPA Tries to Tap Elusive Casimir Effect

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

DARPA Tries to Tap Elusive Casimir Effect

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 16:04:33

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... t-research

Named for a Dutch physicist, the Casimir effect governs interactions of matter with the energy that is present in a vacuum. Success in harnessing this force could someday help researchers develop low-friction ballistics and even levitating objects that defy gravity. For now, the U.S. Defense Department's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has launched a two-year, $10-million project encouraging scientists to work on ways to manipulate this quirk of quantum electrodynamics.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: DARPA Tries to Tap Elusive Casimir Effect

Unread postby cipi604 » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 18:07:12

It's tricky ... the problem is that ZPE is evenly spread in the universe... so you don't have any difference of potential unless you break the equilibrium , so losing more energy than actually get in the first place. Entropy is a bitch.

If they make an apparatus that 'extracts' a small amount of ZPE (over-unity), we can call it perpetuum mobile for sure.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WyoDutch » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 19:04:29

Take it from me... It's very difficult to get one of these government handouts.
There's a $25 million reward for Bin Laden. I contacted Homeland Security and asked for a lousy $2 million advance so I could put together a crackerjack "A-Team" and go after the big guy.
All I got was a lousy email.
WyoDutch
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dissident » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 19:10:57

The only device in existence that can tap ZPE is a black hole. Assuming that Hawking and his classical GR mated to QM is right and there is no observational evidence. Maybe when quantum-GR is finally developed we can say something about it.

The Casimir effect can be explained with QEM without the need to invoke the quantum foam:

article pdf
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 15:09:38

Zero point energy is an interesting concept. I'm not sure entropy is what you need to think about when describing what we would be up against in tapping it as much as the conservation of energy. The thing is if all you need is flow you really only need to figure out what kind of apparatus (physical, virtual, field oriented, whathaveyou) can order the energy states about within the limitations of conservation of energy and also relate somehow to the ZPF. That way you only have to 'borrow' from the Zero Point Field, you can give what you take back after you have used it to do what you need it to do, ie rearrange the existing energy outside of the field so that it is of benefit to us.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby billg » Sat 24 Oct 2009, 18:10:37

cipi604 wrote:
If they make an apparatus that 'extracts' a small amount of ZPE (over-unity), we can call it perpetuum mobile for sure.

these apparatuses exist now.
"It is no measure of health to be deemed sane in an insane society" J. Krishnamurti

Second Attention
billg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Energy Technology