Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy race

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Energy race

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 21:40:22

I don't know where to put this subject so I try here.

We have an article : http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-energy24-2009oct24,0,3902427.story

and I whould like to have some thoughts about it.

Obama says U.S. must win clean-energy race

Reporting from Washington - President Obama, citing a global competition for development of clean-energy alternatives to oil, insisted today that the United States must win that race and called on Congress to enact legislation also intended to curb climate change.

"The nation that wins this competition is going to be the nation that leads the world ," Obama told an audience at one of the nation's premier research universities in Massachusetts. "And I want America to be that nation -- it's that simple."

Obama praised "a legacy of innovation" that "taps into something that is essential about America."

The word clean. You can have clean energy in our way of doing things, but a clean civilisation not. Clean civilisation today is an oxymoron. If we really mean clean , we have to scrap pretty much of the industry, and I don't think women will want that.

This civilisation is a totally waste of time and resources. We're not smart enough. It will happen in the future to think different, but not before we go into the road to Olduvai gorge.

Leads... now if you think more about it, why does always the president of USA says that the world needs a Leader, that the world needs USA to lead the world?! Just because Obama wants it? He's not my president, and I don't want that the world to have a leader. We almost had one , Hitler.

IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE. If it was that simple mister president, every idiot on this planet whould be a scientist, or an engineer and whould innovate the heck out of those damn atoms out there. But we are just a few because it is HARD, and because not even those who we call smart are not yet smart enough to understand that any technical fix into the future is not the solution. We don't have a just in time solution for this one, at least not technical, plus that this civilization doesn't need a bail out, let it fail!

It is essential for America to change the way things are going now , because if we had enough oil or an oil equivalent, soylent green whould be the menu of the day.

If anyone around here still believes that we can handle peak-oil like the flu H1N1 just because our leaders say so, it's going to ride the train of horror.

This is the real thing. We won't have a bumpy plateau, but a steep decline like Cantarell, technology helps suck it faster, and people on top of it fight like ants.

Under 60mbpd , maybe as soon as 2015 our main problem will be, what we eat?! It's that simple.

So I wish good luck to ya all! ...and do what the president tells you.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Energy race

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 22:35:11

Geez, if Obama upsets you, I can only imagine how you'd be reacting with McCain and Palin drilling, baby, drilling.
mos6507

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 22:54:06

mos6507 wrote:Geez, if Obama upsets you, I can only imagine how you'd be reacting with McCain and Palin drilling, baby, drilling.

lol
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 23:03:37

mos6507 wrote:Geez, if Obama upsets you, I can only imagine how you'd be reacting with McCain and Palin drilling, baby, drilling.

+1 Funny stuff mos. :-D
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cephalotus » Mon 26 Oct 2009, 14:38:55

cipi604 wrote:
The word clean. You can have clean energy in our way of doing things, but a clean civilisation not. Clean civilisation today is an oxymoron. If we really mean clean , we have to scrap pretty much of the industry,...

cradle to cradle
from M. Braungart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_to_Cradle
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Arthur75 » Mon 26 Oct 2009, 17:26:09

cephalotus wrote:cradle to cradle
from M. Braungart

But such perfect close loops are effectively impossible to realize, we always increase the entropy, take iron ore for instance, not only do you most often need new ore in order to make quality steel (most recycled one goes into reinforced concrete rebars), but also quite a lot of it goes away (is dispersed) as rust every year (forgot the figure but far from negligible)
Last edited by Arthur75 on Mon 26 Oct 2009, 17:37:26, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Arthur75 » Mon 26 Oct 2009, 17:46:28

pstarr wrote:True. But at least it would (could? maybe could?) allow us extend the party, depopulate to a reasonable level, and develop a lighter footprint on the planet.

Yes we for sure have quite a big margin and optimizations possible (if we are not in a kind of explosion at geological time scale), let's see !
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby davep » Mon 26 Oct 2009, 18:12:41

pstarr wrote:
Arthur75 wrote:
from M. Braungart

But such perfect close loops are effectively impossible to realize, we always increase the entropy, take iron ore for instance, not only do you most often need new ore in order to make quality steel (most recycled one goes into reinforced concrete rebars), but also quite a lot of it goes away as rust every year (forgot the figure but far from negligible)
True. But at least it would (could? maybe could?) allow us extend the party, depopulate to a reasonable level, and develop a lighter footprint on the planet.

Do stop banging on about depopulation, please. Who is using all the oil? It's not the masses in Africa.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby yesplease » Tue 27 Oct 2009, 01:28:09

Arthur75 wrote:But such perfect close loops are effectively impossible to realize, we always increase the entropy, take iron ore for instance, not only do you most often need new ore in order to make quality steel (most recycled one goes into reinforced concrete rebars), but also quite a lot of it goes away (is dispersed) as rust every year (forgot the figure but far from negligible)
Do you have any sources for those statements?
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 27 Oct 2009, 04:26:35

davep wrote:
pstarr wrote:
Arthur75 wrote:
from M. Braungart

But such perfect close loops are effectively impossible to realize, we always increase the entropy, take iron ore for instance, not only do you most often need new ore in order to make quality steel (most recycled one goes into reinforced concrete rebars), but also quite a lot of it goes away as rust every year (forgot the figure but far from negligible)
True. But at least it would (could? maybe could?) allow us extend the party, depopulate to a reasonable level, and develop a lighter footprint on the planet.

Do stop banging on about depopulation, please. Who is using all the oil? It's not the masses in Africa.

whats oil got to do with it? There are no other damage from overpopulation aside of oil consumption?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Arthur75 » Tue 27 Oct 2009, 05:50:22

yesplease wrote:
Arthur75 wrote:But such perfect close loops are effectively impossible to realize, we always increase the entropy, take iron ore for instance, not only do you most often need new ore in order to make quality steel (most recycled one goes into reinforced concrete rebars), but also quite a lot of it goes away (is dispersed) as rust every year (forgot the figure but far from negligible)
Do you have any sources for those statements?

On the steel and iron ore aspects, got that from a guy working in the industry, looking for sources on the web, it looks like he might have been a bit negative (but most sources come from the steel industry ), basically the point is that there are many different steel alloys, so that to master the process and alloy you want to get, you often need to start with new ore, the case for many parts in cars for instance, but for quite a lot of usage this isn't so important (rebars or cans for instance), so that steel remains one of the most recycled material.

About rust, cannot find a source either ! :wink:
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 27 Oct 2009, 07:56:07

davep wrote:Do stop banging on about depopulation, please. Who is using all the oil? It's not the masses in Africa.

Carrying capacity involves more than just oil.
mos6507

Unread postby davep » Tue 27 Oct 2009, 08:44:58

mos6507 wrote:
davep wrote:Do stop banging on about depopulation, please. Who is using all the oil? It's not the masses in Africa.

Carrying capacity involves more than just oil.

But our current phantom carrying capacity is the preserve of fossil fuels, is it not?
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 27 Oct 2009, 08:54:33

cipi604 wrote:Under 60mbpd , maybe as soon as 2015 our main problem will be, what we eat?! It's that simple.

So I wish good luck to ya all! ...and do what the president tells you.

I dunno... eating...

How many gallons of gasoline/diesal does the average farmer in the US use per acre per year, and how many acres are farmed?

Someone on here quoted a 8.5 gallon or such per acre per year, but I can't vouch for how accurate or inaccurate that may be.

Divide that by 365. I don't think we'll be seeing a really high number.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Energy Technology