PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Big Crash Coming?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Big Crash Coming?

Unread postby KevO » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 13:47:49

Delay is the deadliest form of denial

—C. Northcote Parkinson

In More Like A Depression Every Day, I described strong deflationary pressures in the American economy despite the Shock & Awe fiscal & monetary stimulus being applied. The flow of free money is supposed to counter deflation by boosting both asset values and government spending. Economist Nouriel Roubini, otherwise known as “Dr. Doom”, notes that this “wall of liquidity” is inflating asset values, not just in the United States, but all over the world.

The BEA’s advance estimate showed real GDP growth of 3.5% in the third quarter (July-September) just passed. So Shock & Awe appears to be “working” if you go by real GDP. Don’t you believe it. I warned you about a “statistical” recovery last week. Get ready for another round of nonsense announcing that the recession is over. In absolute (2005 chained dollars) terms, real GDP is down 9% year-over-year, even after you throw in the “cash-for clunkers” program which gave an artificial boost to personal consumption expenditures.

One important consequence of the Fed keeping interest rates low and its quantitative easing has been a weaker dollar. The world’s reserve currency has depreciated 14.6% relative to a basket of other currencies since March 5, 2009 as measured by the U.S. Dollar Index (DXY). The depreciating dollar, combined with the Fed’s stated intention to keep interest rates low for an extended period to come, has prompted investors to short the dollar—bet that the value of the dollar will continue to fall. Investors short the dollar via what is called the carry trade (and Figure 1).

Critics focus on the fact that low U.S. interest rates enable investors around the globe to borrow dollars for next to nothing and invest them elsewhere at higher rates.

This bet — known as the dollar carry trade — appears to be one of the forces pushing down value of the dollar. Though there are few reliable figures on the size of the carry trade, the dollar’s trend has clearly been down since stock and bond markets revived.

Figure 1 — The Fed has frozen short-term interest rates at 0-0.25% (left) as the dollar declines(right). This allows investors to borrow dollars a little cost and re-invest them in assets that return higher yields.

Roubini believes that continued low interest rates are inflating asset values beyond what the fundamentals dictate all over the world—a new global bubble. He argues that when the Fed finally does raise rates and the dollar strengthens, as it eventually must, there will be another resounding crash in the global economy. Readers here may not be familiar with this kind of material, so I have summarized Roubini’s argument as he presented it in this interview with Index Universe and in a guest appearance on CNBC.

There is a “wall of [excess] liquidity” inflating asset values (in equities, real estate, commodities, credit, gold, in emerging markets) all over the world.
The Fed has fixed short-term rates at zero (0-0.25%) and is expected to keep them there for the time being. The Fed has also set investor expectations by “controlling and reducing volatility” in the long-term by indicating that they will keep rates low for some time to come.
Investors borrow at near-zero percent interest rates and get a capital gain by investing elsewhere in assets that yield a higher rate, so “we’re in the mother of all carry trades.” The carry trade makes the bubble global as investors borrow dollars and invest in foreign assets (for example, in Australian dollars, Brazilian reals, and so on).
Because the dollar is falling, investors are effectively shorting the dollar and borrowing at negative real interest rates. The carry trade itself results in a dollar sell-off, which causes further weakening. Investors are going long on global assets based on expectations set by the Fed about future interest rates (#2 above).
The dollar can not keep on falling forever, i.e. the Fed must raise interest rates at some point.
When the dollar suddenly stops falling and reverses, investors will have to close their dollar shorts, and dump their assets.

The strengthened dollar will cause a market crash all over the world as assets deflate.

full article at
http://www.energybulletin.net/node/50553

that'll be to the hills then?
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: Big Crash Coming?

Unread postby sittinguy » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 14:49:43

I wish the crash would hurry up, I am sick of drudgeing through this economic mud. I think I will be happier after the collapse and I can be unemployed with dignity. I'm still working, But I am sick of no raises, less people, much more work load. And they know they have me by thee balls so I get no appriciation, and treated like crap, because they know I could not find another job. It could be years away but I will get the last laugh,., one day
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 18:08:26

Second round is coming, the magic printing solution, has failed to produce jobs and to reactivate the economy, countries are openly talking about ditching the dollar. The only question is when.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 18:21:55

sittinguy wrote:I wish the crash would hurry up, I am sick of drudgeing through this economic mud. I think I will be happier after the collapse and I can be unemployed with dignity. I'm still working, But I am sick of no raises, less people, much more work load. And they know they have me by thee balls so I get no appriciation, and treated like crap, because they know I could not find another job. It could be years away but I will get the last laugh,., one day

Or you could end up dying a happy old retired man without witnessing anything remotely close to a crash. You really should have yourself prepared mentally for this likely scenario. Hope you are practicing your botchi ball. :)
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 19:45:11

Shouldn't be too long the devalued dollar is playing hell with EU/Japan trade balances, Euro trade is non existant. Canada is negative as well.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JJ » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 19:53:20

TheAntiDoomer wrote:
sittinguy wrote:I wish the crash would hurry up, I am sick of drudgeing through this economic mud. I think I will be happier after the collapse and I can be unemployed with dignity. I'm still working, But I am sick of no raises, less people, much more work load. And they know they have me by thee balls so I get no appriciation, and treated like crap, because they know I could not find another job. It could be years away but I will get the last laugh,., one day

Or you could end up dying a happy old retired man without witnessing anything remotely close to a crash. You really should have yourself prepared mentally for this likely scenario. Hope you are practicing your botchi ball. :)

you're joking, right?
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Novus » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 20:16:55

It is actually people like you who toil away for peanuts who keep the system going. You are paid in toilet paper so why do you keep working? Stop being a slave and quit your job now. Don't even give two weeks notice just quit right now. If more people did that the collapse would come quickly.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sittinguy » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 20:39:18

Simple answer.

I have kids

Believe me if I didn't have kids I probably would have quit a long time ago. My home life is blessed, but my work life is deteriorating. I know the trap I'm in, but there is not alot I can do about it at this point. To be honest I didn't wake up till I was in my early 30s. Now I'm 37. So for now I have to stay the course. And at least I have spent the last few years getting prepared for what I believe is coming. I'm debt free, but broke.
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 20:52:57

sittinguy wrote:Simple answer.

I have kids

Believe me if I didn't have kids I probably would have quit a long time ago. My home life is blessed, but my work life is deteriorating. I know the trap I'm in, but there is not alot I can do about it at this point. To be honest I didn't wake up till I was in my early 30s. Now I'm 37. So for now I have to stay the course. And at least I have spent the last few years getting prepared for what I believe is coming. I'm debt free, but broke.

Try taking some yoga classes. It helps develop a sense of patience and timing.

If you are debt free AND knowledgeable, you are way ahead of most people already. Add some yoga to that mix and you will be an animal.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 20:55:17

I'm hiding and watching. The only thing that bugs me is that strategy did not work out well for the Indians. :(
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby POAlex » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 23:04:06

Its messy out there.

Alex
POAlex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby VZR1800 » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 23:40:43

I have kids

My wife and I are more-or-less debt free. We only owe on the house. And since I have now been layed off for 11 months, with apparently no job prospects in site in the immediate future ( bad hearing, who wants a person hard-of-hearing around?), I wish I was in your shoes.

But we do have relatives, my parents and hers and her grandmother, who have plenty of room to spare. So if TSHTF we got a roof over our heads.

Keep that job, and keep plugging away, until they let you go. At least then you can get unemployment bennies. Most times, if you quit Fughedaboutit!
VZR1800
Peat
Peat

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 02:18:33

BigTex wrote:

I have kids

Try taking some yoga classes. It helps develop a sense of patience and timing.

If you are debt free AND knowledgeable, you are way ahead of most people already. Add some yoga to that mix and you will be an animal.

A regular jogging, biking, or weight lifting program will work too. :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pup55 » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 07:36:43

this “wall of liquidity” is inflating asset values

Well, there is something to this....

I think the so-called "value" of these financial instruments have completely divorced themselves from any meaninful measurement in the real world.

A dollar, in the context of a little financial instrument that allows you to turn your work (flipping burgers), into something useful, (burgers), there is a known amount of value you add to society by getting it, and a known amount of economic goods or services you get from it.

But, these quadrillions of dollars that are floating around in the financial system, those dollars are fabricated out of thin air, traded back and forth adding "value" and are sitting in an electronic account... and with the exception of some fat bonuses that allow the traders to live like kings, paying some jerk to clean out their swimming pools, it is almost like they have no relationship as a measurement of economic value to anybody.

So as long as that system goes on, the whole system is vulnerable......

Now The Anti-Doomer is quite right, of course, things could go on like this for a long time..... At the moment, there is some faith holding it up.... and that's about it.... but people can have faith for a long time.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:42:04

That's about it. It took me 40 days to find the job I have about a year and a half ago. Things have only gotten worse since. Management is unresponsive and increasingly belligerent to all of us 'workers' (we are all independent contractors). I keep waiting for them to reduce pay just enough to make it still viable for me to keep at it, but so that all of life becomes hand to mouth (like it isn't already). My only saving grace is that I don't have kids to feed and am very capable of denying my own personal gratification. That being said I hope for a recovery of sorts, something at a lower level but sustainable so that hiring can commence and the workforce can get some hand.
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Big Crash Coming?er

Unread postby sittinguy » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 16:37:50

Thanks, I used to bike alot. I have been trying to go to the gym lately. It seems to last about 2 weeks. And then I punk out. Its so much easier to come home and have a drink. :)

I know my physical fitness is a important part of being prepared, Its just hard in these times to stay focused, and block out all that is going on, especially when you are broke all the time. I used to have alot more fun before I was turned into a doomer. Now the weather is cooling off and I will be making another big push to get back in shape.

But tonight its Halloween and I plan on haveing a few drinks and go trick or treating with the kids. So next week. Its always next week :)
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Unread postby patience » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 18:48:54

Stocks are way over priced, looks to me like. Some say the Fed (who has been supporting stocks by loaning money for near nothing to GS, JPM, et al, will have to start propping the T bond market soon, or become the only buyer of them. That could let stocks go down, and everyone would think the "invisible hand" of the market was telling them that stocks aren't worth as much. They never were worth as much as the P/E ratios are now. Just a rigged game. Not a good idea to play, IMHO. Yeah, it's gonna crash, to some degree, probably soon. The ones to worry about, I think, are the dollar index and the US T bond market, not stocks.

If (WHEN) the T bond market goes blooey, we got a problem.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby jbrovont » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 10:16:35

My understanding is that the Fed has already admitted to buying roughly half of the US Ts auctioned lately, so we're already a ways down this road.

patience wrote:Stocks are way over priced, looks to me like. Some say the Fed (who has been supporting stocks by loaning money for near nothing to GS, JPM, et al, will have to start propping the T bond market soon, or become the only buyer of them. That could let stocks go down, and everyone would think the "invisible hand" of the market was telling them that stocks aren't worth as much. They never were worth as much as the P/E ratios are now. Just a rigged game. Not a good idea to play, IMHO. Yeah, it's gonna crash, to some degree, probably soon. The ones to worry about, I think, are the dollar index and the US T bond market, not stocks.

If (WHEN) the T bond market goes blooey, we got a problem.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 10:51:03

Somebody mention CRE? 8O

The model assumes investors could recover 40 cents on the dollar in a bankruptcy proceeding. CIT dropped 23 cents, or 24 percent, to 72 cents in New York ...

Too bad CIT ain't GS or they could get 100 cents on the $.

OR maybe they could do the pretend game some more,
like Insolvent Regions loaning to BK Jefferson Co AL.
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 19:40:51

I´m over symplifing, but the first wave of the crisis was about the price of oil and the subprime crisis, after a brief period of calm, (helped by inyecting huge amounts of money), finally is coming subprime part2, oil is going up again and the new guest is the commercial real estate crash. Thet (TPTB) may hold it for a couple of months, till 2010, but after that...
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance