Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dead Government Walking

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Dead Government Walking

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 08:34:17

The dead load per capita is just as bad or worse in Canada. http://www.sprott.com/Docs/MarketsataGl ... 0_2009.pdf
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Dead Government Walking

Unread postby jbrovont » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 11:00:05

Hmm... split 300 million ways, that's about $3.4 million each. So if I earn $8 an hour at McBurger and never take a vacation, I could pay that off in just over 200 years. Just as long as all the other debt zombies are as hard working, we'll be fine.

deMolay wrote:The dead load per capita is just as bad or worse in Canada. http://www.sprott.com/Docs/MarketsataGl ... 0_2009.pdf
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 11:08:36

"Like dead men walking, the US government is merely biding its time until the moment of truth."

"We believe the US government’s current trajectory presents one of the greatest macro-economic risks at play today. The Federal Reserve and the US government have assumed the toxic financial trash that brought the banking system to its knees a year ago. By monetizing debt to support their budget deficit and ‘save the system’, both entities have chosen to walk a well worn path traveled by so many governments before them. Like dead men walking, the US government is merely biding its time until the moment of truth. Unlike Fannie Mae, General Motors or Citigroup, however, there is no one left to grant a reprieve."
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Prince » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 13:28:22

Excellent article. Quick read and makes a lot of good points in 5 pages.

My favorite part was this:

Article wrote:The FDIC ‘fund’ merely consisted of IOU’s from the general revenues accounts. And now that the Deposit Insurance Fund balance as of September 30, 2009 is negative13 the FDIC wants the institutions to prepay their assessments for all of 2010, 2011 and 2012. In effect, the FDIC wants to borrow money from the banks it provides insurance for. Does this not strike you as surreal? Why would anyone have any confidence in anything the FDIC guarantees?
Prince
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 14:27:30

My question is at what point do they level with everyone and say "DEPRESSION" worst in history. Bigger than the TULIP CRASH, bigger than the South Sea Bubble. etc.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 15:00:29

deMolay wrote:My question is at what point do they level with everyone and say "DEPRESSION" worst in history. Bigger than the TULIP CRASH, bigger than the South Sea Bubble. etc.

At what point? As soon as they've extracted the maximum amount of money from the working taxpayers and funneled the maximum amount of money to the banksters and crooksters.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby patience » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 22:12:08

The demise of the status quo has been a foregone conclusion in my mind for a while now.

What worries me now is, what happens next? 8O
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby crude_intentions » Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:31:09

patience wrote:The demise of the status quo has been a foregone conclusion in my mind for a while now.

What worries me now is, what happens next? 8O

What the Power-That-Be have been working toward for the past 80 years:Neofeudalism.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
crude_intentions
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 02:47:37

I am not an Obama basher but I could not resist this headline:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ption.html

Wow! The whole world is held hostage by American bankers who have captured Washington!
The next thing you know, they will be giving out Nobel peace prizes to people who have more than one war underway!
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 07:32:05

hardtootell-2 wrote:I am not an Obama basher but I could not resist this headline:

Wow! The whole world is held hostage by American bankers who have captured Washington!
The next thing you know, they will be giving out Nobel peace prizes to people who have more than one war underway!

It's comforting to observe that Obama is far more concerned with the corruption in Afghanistan than in Wash. DC.
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 09:46:05

DoomWarrior wrote:It's comforting to observe that Obama is far more concerned with the corruption in Afghanistan than in Wash. DC.

I'm not a Christian but this seems to fit:

Luke 6:41 "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby coyote » Wed 04 Nov 2009, 22:05:20

Politicians make whatever noises will help them gain the political backing they need to go after their objectives.

The Afghan war is currently hurting Obama politically. Hence the noises.

Nothing new.
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby jbrovont » Wed 04 Nov 2009, 22:32:03

WSJ: Bonuses on Wall Street set to rise 40% this year

Yeah... this is pretty, what's the word - ironic? Absurd? Hypocritical?

DoomWarrior wrote:
hardtootell-2 wrote:I am not an Obama basher but I could not resist this headline:

It's comforting to observe that Obama is far more concerned with the corruption in Afghanistan than in Wash. DC.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance