Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Serious cornie article here

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Serious cornie article here

Unread postby Arthur75 » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 09:40:11

link
U.S. Tops in Energy Resources by Human Events 11/02/2009:
The United States has largest energy reserves on Earth, according to a report from the Congressional Research Service. As shown in the charts below, the U.S. has 1,321 billion barrels of oil (or barrels of oil equivalent for other sources of energy) when combining its recoverable natural gas, oil and coal reserves.

While Russia is a close second with 1,248 billion barrels, other energy producing nations are far behind. No. 3 is Saudi Arabia (543 billion barrels), followed by China (494 billion barrels), Iran (426 billion barrels) and Canada (221 billion barrels.)
link and refering to link
Reading the comments is quite scary ... (rereading them in fact more balanced than at first sight)
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Serious cornie article here

Unread postby shortonsense » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 10:09:33

Arthur75 wrote:link
U.S. Tops in Energy Resources by Human Events, 11/02/2009:
The United States has largest energy reserves on Earth, according to a report from the Congressional Research Service. --snip-- followed by China (494 billion barrels), Iran (426 billion barrels) and Canada (221 billion barrels.)
--snip--Reading the comments is quite scary ... (rereading them in fact more balanced than at first sight)
Hubbert said something similar. That the US contained about 1/3 of the worlds total heating value of fossil fuel based energy. Certainly his word or others noticing similar facts shouldn't be misinterpreted as "Cornie" around here.
shortonsense
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Dr. Ofellati » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 10:21:29

The comments are, indeed, frightening.

Of course, there aren't many websites on the web, left or right leaning, to which I can go to read comforting comments.

People are basically uneducated and ignorant - even those with college degrees.

The concern of losing American sovereignty to "globalists," while subject to being carried to the extreme, is not completely without basis.

Large corporate and banking interests don't care one whit about America as an entity. They care only about profits. George Bush the 2nd, himself, said that the Constitution was just a piece of paper.

Of course, the extension of the the theme to the point where one believes that resource extraction is being intentionally delayed until new owners are in place is . . . extreme.
Dr. O
The Mos theorem - Those who do not reach my conclusions after having reviewed the evidence are either deniers, if they reject my conclusion, or conspiracy theorists, if I reject theirs.
Dr. Ofellati
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 12:03:03

That's just a Republican "Drill, baby, drill" screed.
Carlhole

Unread postby hillsidedigger » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 12:09:16

I've seen that link on other sites today.

A lot of what it says is true but without qualifying explanations which leads the cornies to think all is well.
hillsidedigger
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Arthur75 » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 12:35:56

pstarr wrote:"Serious cornie article" is an oxymoron :razz:
Ok, maybe should have used "clever" then :) , as it does indeed quite a good job at misrepresentation without using plain "counter truth"
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 13:22:32

Blah, blah, blah

A lot of this is locked up in oil shale over vast areas of the American west that are only accessible by strip mining. It says nothing about the destruction that would result. More importantly. it would take a lot of water to process these depositis.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 15:17:58

This is the flip side of the fascist nursery rhyme currently playing whilst the American taxpayer is looted by the caviare eating classes.

Dr. Ofellati wrote:The comments are, indeed, frightening.

Of course, there aren't many websites on the web, left or right leaning, to which I can go to read comforting comments.

People are basically uneducated and ignorant - even those with college degrees.

The concern of losing American sovereignty to "globalists," while subject to being carried to the extreme, is not completely without basis.

Large corporate and banking interests don't care one whit about America as an entity. They care only about profits. George Bush the 2nd, himself, said that the Constitution was just a piece of paper.

Of course, the extension of the the theme to the point where one believes that resource extraction is being intentionally delayed until new owners are in place is . . . extreme.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Dr. Ofellati » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 15:47:22

americandream wrote:This is the flip side of the fascist nursery rhyme currently playing whilst the American taxpayer is looted by the caviare eating classes.

Not clear to me what you mean.
Dr. O
The Mos theorem - Those who do not reach my conclusions after having reviewed the evidence are either deniers, if they reject my conclusion, or conspiracy theorists, if I reject theirs.
Dr. Ofellati
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 17:11:59

Birds of a feather, flock together.

Dr. Ofellati wrote:
americandream wrote:This is the flip side of the fascist nursery rhyme currently playing whilst the American taxpayer is looted by the caviare eating classes.

americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Dr. Ofellati » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 20:08:33

americandream wrote:Birds of a feather, flock together.

Dr. Ofellati wrote:

Whoops. Less clear.
Dr. O
Dr. Ofellati
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Tue 03 Nov 2009, 21:36:10

Never mind. I think you got my drift.

Dr. Ofellati wrote:
americandream wrote:Birds of a feather, flock together.

Dr. Ofellati wrote:

Whoops. Less clear.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Frank » Wed 04 Nov 2009, 22:40:18

The scary thing is that most if not all of these people can VOTE. There oughta be some kind of test or something.... The dumbing down of America once again.
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Wed 04 Nov 2009, 22:50:53

Whats the point testing them when they're bred to be dumb. Count yourself lucky.

Frank wrote:The scary thing is that most if not all of these people can VOTE. There oughta be some kind of test or something.... The dumbing down of America once again.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Return to Peak Oil Discussion