Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Rate of Cornucopian Posting at PO.com

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby Dr. Ofellati » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 10:33:59

It seems to me that the rate of posting of the 4-6 cornucopians on the board (of2, antidoomer, maddog, short on sense) is substantially higher than it was a year ago.

Is it just me?

I view this as another sign that we're even closer to the big pop - it's like the voice getting louder and louder - "do NOT look behind the curtain, all is well. DO NOT LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN."
Dr. O
The Mos theorem - Those who do not reach my conclusions after having reviewed the evidence are either deniers, if they reject my conclusion, or conspiracy theorists, if I reject theirs.
Dr. Ofellati
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Rate of Cornucopian Posting at PO.com

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 10:43:56

This would be the Scientist's outlook.

The Layman's would be finding the enemy in the War of Terror.

The GWOT matches PO perfectly.
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Velociryx » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 11:17:30

Dr. Ofellati wrote:It seems to me that the rate of posting of the 4-6 cornucopians on the board (of2, antidoomer, maddog, short on sense) is substantially higher than it was a year ago. Is it just me?
I view this as another sign that we're even closer to the big pop - it's like the voice getting louder and louder - "do NOT look behind the curtain, all is well. DO NOT LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN."
:lol:

I know it wasn't meant to be, but this is, I think, probably the funniest post I've ever seen on this site!

ROCK!

-=Vel=-
Velociryx
Permanently Banned

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 11:31:54

Is it just me, or has the number of doomers squirreling out of bets by changing their screen name multiple time been increasing in the past year?
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 11:47:32

Maybe if we didn't create threads specifically to open up an endless personal dialogue with cornies like shortonsense then it wouldn't be this way.
mos6507

Unread postby Velociryx » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:21:16

I dunno...this thread inspires me!

I was thinking, now that we're past peak, it should have a "sister thread" to serve as its companion here on the forums. Here are some of my ideas, tell me which one you like the best, and we'll go with that! (titles and brief descriptions to follow):

* How long are Twinkies good for, and other fun facts!
(Desc: Now that civilization has collapsed, and we can no longer buy our groceries at the chain stores, when you have to raid a nearby Doomstead--unlucky b@stards shoulda posted more guards!), what are your favorite items to steal from the dead first?!

* Winter Wonderland Body Count
(Desc: Wherein we participate in fun games and friendly wagers about how many millions of Americans will perish this year due to lack of resources)

* Short Range, Or Long?
(Desc: Wherein we discuss the raging debate on how best to deal with zombie hordes and looters...sniper rifle from the bunker, or up-close-and-personal with the .44? Let your opinion be heard!)

* Cherished Recipes - The New Wisdom of Post Apocalyptia
(Desc: Wherein we discuss all our favorite recipes for stray dog, cat, rat, and more!)

* Children: Hope for the future or delicious entre?
(Desc: Wherein we discuss our long term plans, and unusual alternate food supplies to cope with our new circumstances - Also up for discussion...does it taste like veal, or chicken?)

* Headshot: How Many Zombies Did You Kill Today?
(Desc: A competition thread...person with the highest number of confirmed kills - photos REQUIRED...no exceptions!--will be awaded a box of ammo, caliber of your choice!)

There are many others, but these were just some of my initial ideas...time to vote!

-=Vel=-
Last edited by Velociryx on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:35:04, edited 1 time in total.
Velociryx
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:23:23

Boring!

We've been over all that a thousand times already.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:23:54

I wouldn't consider myself corno.

I have just made some posts on shale gas, n. gas vehicles, recently increasing opec production and the lack of EROEI used within oil and gas co. decision making processes which have been proven out by the facts.

It doesn't mean I think it will be bau forever and ever.
There are many senior oil co. personnel that recognize peak oil will be a problem in the future and I agree with them.

I just think it will take longer and there will be more mitigation available to the world than the uberdoomer, fast crash crowd that was raving and frothing around here a year ago.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:26:38

TheAntiDoomer wrote:Is it just me, or has the number of doomers squirreling out of bets by changing their screen name multiple time been increasing in the past year?

:lol: :lol:
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:34:40

Doomers don't even pay out bets to fellow doomers.

Jotapay owes me $1000.00. :|
Ludi

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:37:15

Here's another thing for you to consider.

I've stated clearly I work in the industry.
In the past year I've seen literally hundreds of rigs shut down and colleagues laid off because of lack of demand and a glut of supply.
I know long term peak oil will be a problem but short term I'm almost hoping for it to happen so my friends can get their jobs back.
It's kind of hard to get worked up about the lack of oil supply when you have friend's who could be helping the situation, sitting at home wondering whether or not their services will ever be required again.

Now I know some of you will jump on me and say what about carbon, AGW, alternative energy, etc. etc. I don't much care about that right now. I'm more concerned about my friends losing their houses and maybe having to go to Walmart or 7/11 to beg for a job.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Velociryx » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:45:25

davep wrote:Boring!

We've been over all that a thousand times already.

Awesome reply, sir! :)

-=Vel=-
(that really did get a chuckle!)
Velociryx
Permanently Banned

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 12:58:28

I make it a point to not even read what the cornies are posting. I used to, but I realized it was mostly mindless, poorly supported opinion mascquerading as fact. I agree with the slogan- Don't feed the trolls.

I can't imagine why anyone would waste their own time.

When I was younger I used to have a lot of fun demolishing peoples views using a relentless onslaught of facts and persuasive arguments. The thrill of those kinds of exercises has worn out. I don't really care what other people think enough to argue with them.
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Velociryx » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:06:42

HA!

I have decoded a secret message while wearing my tinfoil hat, and I now have PROOF that we are all going to die, and soon!

It's in code though, so you have to know where to look.

I have posted article snippets, urls, and bolded the important bits so you can see for yourself! PROOF I tell you!

Here it is...have a look, if you dare:

NEW YORK - Oil prices fell Tuesday as workers headed back to deep sea platforms that were bypassed by a rapidly weakening storm in the Gulf of Mexico.

Ida, once a Category 1 hurricane, was downgraded to a tropical storm Monday and then lost even that status Tuesday as its winds lost their punch.

Producers like Royal Dutch Shell and Anadarko reported no damage to facilities and said flights to platforms and rigs in the Gulf would begin Tuesday.

Benchmark crude for December delivery fell 9 cents $79.34 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Even Monday, when Tropical Storm Ida still posed a potential threat to Gulf platforms, it appeared that the affects of a weakened dollar played a more significant role as oil prices rose $2 to $79.43.

The dollar tumbled so far, a person holding a euro could trade it in for $1.50. Because crude is traded in dollars, that means an investor trading in euros could buy oil for a relative bargain.

Even though there are huge supplies of crude right now, the dollar is so weak that an investor can buy oil and then pay to store it for months before having to sell it on the market.

The dollar gained back some ground Tuesday and oil prices fell.

The response to oil company activity in the Gulf ahead of the storm was muted.

Companies shut down 30 percent of oil production and 27 percent of natural gas production and evacuated about 18 percent of nearly 700 platforms, according to the U.S. Minerals Management Service.

Last year, retail gasoline prices spiked when hurricanes Ike and Gustav cut off supply routes, particularly in the Southeast, but demand for energy is low now and companies were expected to resume operations quickly so Ida is expected to little effect on prices.

Prices at the pump edged lower overnight, falling 0.6 cents to $2.658 a gallon, according to auto club AAA, Wright Express and Oil Price Information Service. Prices are 2.8 cents lower than a week ago, but 41.8 cents more than a year ago.

The Energy Department late Monday reported that retail gasoline prices fell for the first time in five weeks.

The International Energy Agency lowered its global oil demand forecast as well on Tuesday from 106 million barrels per day to 105 million barrels per day.

(article continues here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/ns ... nd_energy/ )

Second piece of the puzzle:

A man died today while hiking in Utah County. A group of people were visiting Timpanogos cave when one of them fell hundreds of feet off a cliff.

The victim is a man visiting from Russia, who slipped in the rocks and fell off a 200-foot cliff while he was trying to rescue a three-year old girl.

(Story continues here... http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=516050)

See?! I TOLD YOU!

And isn't it just like the big oil companies to hide the nefarious message in an innocuous news story! These people are TEH EVIL!!!

Now, grab your gun, and a box of ammo!

;)

-=Vel=-
Velociryx
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:15:07

Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:25:32

Maddog78 wrote:I'm more concerned about my friends losing their houses and maybe having to go to Walmart or 7/11 to beg for a job.

I'm sure the buggy whip manufacturers were equally upset when the car came around.
mos6507

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:39:06

I fully expected many posts similar to this.
Congratulations on being the first.
It's been a pretty good ride so far and I'm pretty sure it will be to my retirement in 10 yrs. time or so.
If the peakers are right cos. will be throwing money and perks at people like myself in a very short time, just like 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not holding my breath.
No petroleum used in your life at this time then? :mrgreen:
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 14:00:21

Ludi wrote:Doomers don't even pay out bets to fellow doomers.

I still dispute that there is a law requiring me to pay income tax. :)
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby thuja » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 14:35:13

Maybe a few more corny posts. But a heck of a lot less uberdoomer posts- thanks and praise to Allah...! Doomsteadtopians need to be forcibly removed from this site so that real discussions can take place.
No Soup for You!!
thuja
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 14:40:58

Jotapay wrote:
Ludi wrote:Doomers don't even pay out bets to fellow doomers.

I still dispute that there is a law requiring me to pay income tax. :)

Hey, I guess ignoring the facts is par for the course here! :P

"The federal tax laws are contained in the Internal Revenue Code, also known as Title 26 of the United States Code, which is the compilation of laws passed by the Congress (“Title” basically means “Volume” when applied to the U.S. Code as a whole, so Title 26 is what might more casually be called Volume 26).

The Internal Revenue Code is the law that requires people to pay taxes (and yes, the Internal Revenue Code is the law -- for more detail on this point click here).

The most important statutory provision with regard to income taxes is section one of the tax code, 26 U.S.C. § 1. This is the section that actually imposes the income tax. It’s very simply written."

http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/jsiegel/ ... tNoLaw.htm

You can certainly argue the law is unconstitutional, but you can't honestly argue such a law doesn't exist. :roll: Just because you disagree with a law doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Ludi

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion