Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Coil Tubing Getting Stuck in Well?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Coil Tubing Getting Stuck in Well?

Unread postby oilman0503 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:04:33

What procedures are used to get coil tubing unstuck in a well. Has anyone had this problem during drilling operations? What was the outcome? How did it get resolved?
oilman0503
Wood
Wood

Re: Coil Tubing Getting Stuck in Well?

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:15:27

What do you mean by coil tubing. I've lost a few bits down a few holes, but I don't know anything about coil tubing. If the solution is anything like my past problems it will have something to do with lubrication. What kind of mud are you using? Are you able to regulate how much of it is going down your well? Too fast a rate of flow can cause blowouts at the side that can cause rock falls that will pin your stick. Also I have heard of some kinds of mud being a problem in terms of dissolving the source rock you are drilling in. If that happens you have to pull out and restart with a different mud.

My experience is not with oil drilling or water wells, rather prospecting. I think there can be a lot of difference.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:20:57

I think you're in the wrong place, pal.
Although this forum has oil in the title it's actually a doomer board.
Kind of caught me off guard when I first came here, too.

I mostly deal with big rigs. Our production guys deal with the CT units.

I understand though that sometimes lubricants work and sometimes vibrating units work and sometimes you just have to shoot it off, depends on the circumstances.
I would think your contractor would have some ideas to try.
Get with their senior people.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:24:00

evilgenius wrote:What do you mean by coil tubing. I've lost a few bits down a few holes, but I don't know anything about coil tubing. If the solution is anything like my past problems it will have something to do with lubrication. What kind of mud are you using? Are you able to regulate how much of it is going down your well? Too fast a rate of flow can cause blowouts at the side that can cause rock falls that will pin your stick. Also I have heard of some kinds of mud being a problem in terms of dissolving the source rock you are drilling in. If that happens you have to pull out and restart with a different mud.

My experience is not with oil drilling or water wells, rather prospecting. I think there can be a lot of difference.

CT is generally used during production procedures and mud is usually not involved.
Wiki has a pretty good introduction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coiled_tubing
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Blacksmith » Wed 11 Nov 2009, 07:29:13

I have not worked on coiled tubing rigs for some years, but if the coil is old, it will develop cracks while in the hole and this may be the source of your problem. We were always removing sections of the coil.

I did not like coil tubing rigs, since they were shallow burners.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby oilman0503 » Wed 11 Nov 2009, 11:14:26

Thanks for your input. This is helpful.
oilman0503
Wood
Wood

Return to Peak Oil Discussion