Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Railex...the future of food delivery?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Railex...the future of food delivery?

Unread postby frankthetank » Sat 14 Nov 2009, 14:05:47

Found this very interesting. Never knew something like this existed in the US. If we would just invest in rail (more tracks/trains) we could be shipping almost everything by rail and saving a lot of oil, not to mention cut down on wear and tear on the roads.... I know you would still need local delivery methods, but still a huge reduction in truck miles.

I guess NYC is set up pretty good for a PO world...

RAILEX is a NEW, INNOVATIVE distribution platform designed to enhance logistics, distribution, consumer demands and inventory control.

The Railex platform features three refrigerated, mega-transload distribution centers; one in Delano, California, one in Wallula, Washington, and one in Rotterdam, New York. These three coast to coast distribution centers run a scheduled weekly five (5) day service 55 car refrigerated unit train, with the capacity to transport the equivalent of 220 trucks of refrigerated merchandise each and every week, both ways! The train consists of all new 64-foot series cars with fresh air exchange, GPS tracking and temperature control. Railex incorporates the latest technologies with its own infrastructure and private non-stop rail service to ensure the same scheduled departure day and time every week, 52 weeks a year. Five (5) day coast-to-coast delivery is GUARANTEED!

http://www.railexusa.com/

Plugging in the Delano to NYC in a map program shows a 2843 mile trip by road... 6mpg in a semi ... 474 gallons of diesel each way...

I think i know why Buffett invested in rail...
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to North America Discussion