Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy use varies a lot by location says study

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Energy use varies a lot by location says study

Unread postby frankthetank » Fri 27 Nov 2009, 12:27:21

I find this interesting, because i'd be living in probably one of the worst locations in the US (i'm 2 hrs from Minneapolis). Its something to think about when relocating (if that is your plan). I could see the west coast becoming even MORE populated in the future just from relocating masses running away from the cold continental winters (and the heating bills!)... Years ago when natural gas was so high, i was hearing of several people paying $500+ per month for heat. Yeah, insulation and building techniques can cut heating costs, and wood heating will make a huge comback, but not everyone can and will be able to afford that. Living without heat is not an option forxdsx 99%? of the people around here :)

Can it be possible, as Congress and the White House explore ways to encourage Americans to conserve energy, a new study shows the average individual energy demand for heating and cooling has actually decreased in the U.S. over the past 50 years?

The reason is because of the country’s population shift to the more moderate and warm climates of the West and Southwest, said Michael Sivak, a research professor at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute.

The study found the U.S. population shift resulted in an 11% reduction in combined energy demand per person for heating and cooling since 1960.

“The relative increases in population in more moderate climates and, at the same time, in warmer climates imply a reduction in the combined energy per person, the shift to more moderate climates because of narrower ranges between winter and summer temperatures, and the shift to warmer climates because it is more energy-efficient to cool than to heat,” Sivak said

Based on climatological considerations only, Sivak found while the energy demand for cooling (air conditioning) increased by 23% from 1960 to 2006, the demand for heating (which dominates the combined demand) decreased by 14%. Overall, the nominal energy demand for heating and cooling dropped 6%.

Using the effective energy demand approach, which accounts for energy used by furnaces, boilers, electric heaters and air conditioners, Sivak found a 12% reduction in energy demand since 1960.

Sivak found that San Diego and Minneapolis the two extremes on the combined heating and cooling index had a fourfold difference in total energy demand. The average annual number of heating and cooling degree days was 1,072 in San Diego and 4,764 in Minneapolis. Joining San Diego among the cities with the fewest total energy demands were Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, Riverside and Sacramento, all in California. Right behind were the Florida cities of Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa. New Orleans rounded out the Top 10. Miami had the greatest demand for air conditioning. On the other end of the scale, Minneapolis was joined by Milwaukee, Chicago, Rochester, Buffalo, Detroit, Hartford, Denver, Cleveland and Salt Lake City as the cities with the greatest demand for energy, all primarily because of heating demands.

Looks like we just move the masses to San Diego (rated #1 in this study) and use no heat or cooling :) Solve one problem. Las Vegas and Phoenix were in the middle...

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases ... hp?id=6801
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Energy use varies a lot by location says study

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 27 Nov 2009, 13:39:04

We spend almost nothing on heat here in Central Texas.

Some people feel the need to run up big AC bills here, but it's actually possible to live without it.
Ludi

Unread postby frankthetank » Fri 27 Nov 2009, 14:21:08

Just from paying close attention to it the past month... When the nights drop around 30F and the days go 40-50F...if it is SUNNY, i'm probably ok with no heat... the house here with decent south exposure really cuts the furnace from kicking in. The cloudy days are killer (like yesterday)...mid 30's, windy, clouds and the furnace kicked on a lot.

Too bad i avg about 150 days when the temp doesn't get above 32F ...ouch!

Looks like Austin, TX has 19 days a year on avg below 32F...
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Fri 27 Nov 2009, 16:24:27

Once upon a time Heineken suggested on these forums that many Americans would be relocating further North in response to climate change. Perhaps in the long term, but not short term (next couple of decades at least, and the US census bureau currently indicates that more Americans are still moving south and west, not north). I didn't necessarily agree with Heineken because the annual costs of heating/cooling is less in the South and West at this time. Gotta love solar energy...but...

There's just not enough water in the Southwest US to support a much larger population. Water availability will continue to be one of the biggest problems for this part of the world as time goes on.

Edit to add link to US Census Bureau Population Estimated Percent Change for 2007-2008:
http://www.census.gov/popest/gallery/maps/perchg-2007-2008.html
Last edited by PeakOiler on Sat 28 Nov 2009, 09:18:11, edited 1 time in total.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ainan » Fri 27 Nov 2009, 18:11:12

You guys have it all wrong! I rarely ever turn my heating on, the secret is to live in the attic apartment. After 7pm it gets so hot in here(heated from the peoples below) that I have to open a window.

At the weekends I'm either out, in bed or sitting at my computer in a sleeping bag.

I do admit first thing in the morning is a bit nippy... but it sure as hell wakes me up and gets me into my car(It has a heater :D) quickish.

Saving money for my doomstead/nuclear bunker.
April 2008 Global Population: 6.8 billion
April 2010 Global Population: 7 billion
April 2012 Global Population: 7.2 billion
Ainan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 27 Nov 2009, 20:40:48

PeakOiler wrote: Water availability will continue to be one of the biggest problems for this part of the world as time goes on.

A lot of the water problems of the West are due to bad management of watersheds.

We don't have to turn everything into a desert. :|

(not saying the West should have a larger population. I'm in favor of zero to negative population growth in all regions)

watershed management resources: http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQ-FBAmvBw
Last edited by Ludi on Sat 28 Nov 2009, 11:47:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ludi

Unread postby papalegba » Sat 28 Nov 2009, 07:54:14

Here in the Pacific Northwest where the winters aren't very cold and the summers not particularly hot, it's possible to live comfortably with a very modest consumption of energy. When I built my place about 15 years ago, I kept it to a modest 1200 square feet, and insulated it as though I was living in the midwest. At the time, lots of people told me I was crazy to spend so much on insulation and good windows, but every since I've consumed between 1 and 1.5 cords of wood a winter (that I harvest myself from the property) and laughed while some of those people have spent hundreds of dollars a month to keep (not very) warm.
papalegba
Peat
Peat

Unread postby frankthetank » Sat 28 Nov 2009, 12:34:49

I knew a girl who lived in the Portland area and she said that heat wasn't need very often (in her apartment) and usually only in the mornings. She had electric heat, but i think most electricity out there comes from hydro power. In my mind, the Portland/Seattle area had about the most perfect climate for someone who likes a more green scene.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby papalegba » Sat 28 Nov 2009, 17:33:46

frankthetank wrote:I knew a girl who lived in the Portland area and she said that heat wasn't need very often (in her apartment) and usually only in the mornings. She had electric heat, but i think most electricity out there comes from hydro power. In my mind, the Portland/Seattle area had about the most perfect climate for someone who likes a more green scene.

How things go with climate change - e.g. more forest fires - remains to be seen, but for the moment it is pretty ideal.
papalegba
Peat
Peat

Unread postby careinke » Tue 01 Dec 2009, 23:39:47

In my mind, the Portland/Seattle area had about the most perfect climate for someone who likes a more green scene.

No, NO, it's awful around here. It rains all the time, earthquakes, tsunami's, floods, rising sea levels.......stay away, STAY AWAY!!!

Might I suggest a nice warm climate like Florida or Las Vegas....Yea that's it, LAS VEGAS BABY!!
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby papalegba » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 05:51:47

careinke wrote:
In my mind, the Portland/Seattle area had about the most perfect climate for someone who likes a more green scene.

No, NO, it's awful around here. It rains all the time, earthquakes, tsunami's, floods, rising sea levels.......stay away, STAY AWAY!!!

Might I suggest a nice warm climate like Florida or Las Vegas....Yea that's it, LAS VEGAS BABY!!

Ha! That's what I mostly tell people too! Terrible, you wouldn't like it... cold, damp... completely awful.
papalegba
Peat
Peat

Unread postby aahala2 » Wed 02 Dec 2009, 12:34:03

The reason is because of the country’s population shift to the more moderate and warm climates of the West and Southwest, said Michael Sivak, a research professor at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute.

College professors have way too much time on their hands.

No study was needed to explain much of this decline. About
15 minutes reflecting upon the increase in bullding standards
relative to insulation, the change in NG furnace efficiency(50% to
a mandated 87%), and a similar increase in the federal standard
of central air units, yada yada yada.
aahala2
Peat
Peat

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models